Welcome to Gaia! ::

<3 </3

I'm planning to get a new console. Which one should I get?

Play Station 4 0.26086956521739 26.1% [ 6 ]
Wii 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
Xbox 0.26086956521739 26.1% [ 6 ]
Nintendo DS 0.47826086956522 47.8% [ 11 ]
Total Votes:[ 23 ]
< 1 2

mlle fett's Wife

Toxic Lover

25,225 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Full Selection 200
  • Fusion Master 1000
If you enjoyed To the Moon, the prequel to their second episode came out, called A Bird's Story. It gives you a bit of a teaser towards the next patient in the series.

Cluttered Cutie-Pie

18,850 Points
  • Protector of Cuteness 150
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Friendly 100
Dreaming Mary, The Witch's House, Mogeko Castle, Presentable Liberty, the Bad Dream series, Spooky's House of Jumpscares

these are just some of the ones I have piled in a folder that I liked.

Fae Llynya's Husband

Married Survivor

6,450 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Married 100
  • Survivor 150
The Last Door, and 100% Orange Juice are what come to mind for me. Organ Trail is pretty great as well. Depends on what exactly you're looking for.

Tiny Strawberry

8,250 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Pie Enabler 100
creepy pastel

If your looking for RPG-styled games then you should check out vgperson's site. He's translated quite a few indie games (like Ib) and posts them under the specific genre.

Other than that you can find many on IndieDB, Lemmasoft forums (tends to lean toward VN's but not always), you can even peruse Kickstarter or Steam.

There's also Game Jolt, itch.io, TIGSource, rpgmaker, and Indie Game Enthusiast.
Abyss Odyssey is on PC and PS3.
Transistor is on PC and PS4.

That's two.
Khezuk
fairy-phoenix

She doesn't actually want indie games. She wants lousy RPG Maker games.

I'll grant that that's a legitimate distinction, but what exactly is your beef here? Do you really just think games like Yume Nikki are lousy, or is it something like: you think people should be paying for "real" indie games and supporting indie developers?

Note: Don't mean to be combative, just curious about your responses. I like the RPG maker games but if you think they're harmful to the indie game industry somehow I'd be interested to hear your opinion.
Kafkaesquire
Lambright

I can't answer for him but if you don't mind, I would like to give my opinion on the matter. Indie games are a dime a dozen and that of course means there are a lot of bad games out there. The worst of them, outside of Early Access titles, are RPG Maker "games". The reason for that is because they're using a premade program with premade assets that can only ever produce one type of game (anime-styled RPGs) and yet people have the nerve to charge five dollars or more for them.

If you're lucky you might find one that has a tolerable story with characters whose personalities are not entirely horrendous but the gameplay will be nothing short of boring and generic. The free ones are fine because you can't really complain about something like that without seeming extremely petty but the ones that expect you to pay for them are insulting. The mindset that it's okay to produce something like that and then stick a price on it is fairly widespread among the indie crowd and may make it more difficult for aspiring game developers to get their product out there.

It certainly has people weary of supporting video games early on and while the effect that has may not exist or be pronounced at the moment, there is a chance it could have dire ramifications in the future. Then again I could be wrong and nothing will come of this.

Wow! It's been a while since I looked around but I didn't know there were people charging for RPG Maker games. I always assumed the point of RPG Maker was so people who didn't have the time or mindset to learn to program could still make a quirky labor-of-love type game. But I'm wondering if the creators of RPG Maker actually intended it to be a tool to develop products.

You're right that saturating the indie game market with poor quality games could be a problem. But it's already a problem for the high-budget console market—look at all the shitty games you can buy for the Xbox 360 or Nintendo DS. Somehow the quality titles still shine through. Although, in those cases they have the budget to advertise, whereas indie game developers obviously don't have the same kind of resources.

Interesting thoughts, thanks for chiming in.
Shovel Knight
Hotline Miami
Transistor
Retro City Rampage

Sparkly Kitten

I like The Witch's House and Yume Nikki.
Be prepared for a lot of jump scares in Witch's house. ahaha

One thing to keep in mind about Yume Nikki is that there are no puzzles, no quests really except to collect "effects" but nobody explains that to you, not many cutscenes, no dialog. The fun in that game lies solely in the exploration of Madotsuki's dream. It's just fun to explore and see what kind of messed up things she dreams about.

And about your poll...
I would buy a 3ds because there are just so many different games for it, you're bound to find something you like. I personally love playing pokemon and zelda games. You can play smash brother's online. If you're more into rpgs, there's a ton of them. Fire Emblem Awakening is really popular, Bravely Default's another good one. Plus, I like streetpassing people and adding more miis to my plaza. xP

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff