Welcome to Gaia! ::

Universal Champion

14,475 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Timid 100
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
Backstory:

-my sister put expensive stuff on her birthday list and got a $1000 bicycle for her birthday. I told my family I would put high priced items on my birthday list for this year too. pirate

Ok, so if money is no object, are gaming mice needed? I'm looking up expensive crap that I wouldn't normally buy lol and I came across gaming mice. I'm quite content with the basic mouse that came with my Hewlett Packard. I do game often on Steam though. How necessary are gaming mice to gamers? Do you suggest I put it on my birthday wishlist? Would you want a gaming mouse for your birthday/Christmas?
The only real advantage that a "gaming" mouse has over any other mouse is all the extra programmable buttons. That said, Logitech usually has things that are just as good or better than anything a company like Razer might try to sell you at a much lower cost. Some dweebs will try to convince you that gaming mice are more precise, but any mouse that isn't obviously dirt quality is probably as precise as you need it to be.

Omnipresent Regular

8,175 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
User ImageWeen shellan yorra accroad mea, sarla oz enne.
Titil yehah, presia yorr wis yehah, presia yanje.

I personally use a Razer DeathAdder and I love it.

Whether or not you actually need a gaming mouse is up to you. At the very least I find mine more comfortable than any of the cheaper "office" mice like the ones in my college's computer rooms.

Greasemonkey

40,725 Points
  • Knife Club Lifetime Membership 0
  • Waffles! 25
  • Gaian 50
I use a Storm Sentinel. It's definitely a lot kinder to my wrist than my generic mice are. I don't normally use the extra buttons on it, but the ability to change the sensitivity from very low to very high in under a second has been a godsend in a few of the games I've played, like Fable 3 and Mass Effects 1 & 2. Those both had mini-games where the mouse movement was insanely slow, and they would have been incredibly frustrating to play that way ... but I was able to jack it up to 11 right on the mouse. That right there made it worth it.

Feral Protector

12,900 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Cool Cat 500
Razer Naga. Won't play any game that requires keys 1-0 without it. I'll also program it to respond to F1-F12 if needed. (You can also program profiles for certain games when they launch) Its also not very expensive.

It changed how I game. I mostly got it for WoW a long time ago but... man.. Improved my game and less sore fingers. Just my input.

Hell I even use it for art or basic commands on the PC.
Get one that you're comfortable with of course.

Invisible Egg

9,875 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Poltergeist Pulverizer 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
Up to you. In my opinion any mouse that isn't an overall bargain bin pos. I use a standard ASUS mouse for anything.

OpZeroFilms's Kouhai

Eloquent Genius

22,800 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Senpai's Notice 100
It really depends on your comfort levels and what kinds of games you're playing. If you're an avid PC gamer who doesn't like to use the keyboard constantly to do quicksaves/loads, you could program the mouse to do that and save you time.
Some swear by gaming mice.

I have a £6 piece of s**t and I have seen no worthwhile difference in performance to warrant the extra cost.
The extra programmable buttons are nice.
I couldn't imagine playing League of Legends without the extra couple buttons I got.

That aside just a mouse with a high DPI that you can adjust is all I think you need.
Personally I prefer wired to wireless mice,
they seem to last longer, and are more reliable.

Deathly Spark

12,875 Points
  • Abomination 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Marathon 300
tl;dr: Gaming mice are actually good and I don't have a Razer one.

I use this mouse. It's pretty much a standard, three button mouse - however I can add up to 3 4.5 gram weights to it and take them away (so I can either make my hand movements faster or slower), and change the DPI using a switch on the bottom. Which makes the laser shine riiiiight into my eyes...

If I played more intense PC games than I do, I'd definitely go for one with programmable buttons.

Original Shapeshifter

8,475 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Robert Ramos
Backstory:

-my sister put expensive stuff on her birthday list and got a $1000 bicycle for her birthday. I told my family I would put high priced items on my birthday list for this year too. pirate

Ok, so if money is no object, are gaming mice needed? I'm looking up expensive crap that I wouldn't normally buy lol and I came across gaming mice. I'm quite content with the basic mouse that came with my Hewlett Packard. I do game often on Steam though. How necessary are gaming mice to gamers? Do you suggest I put it on my birthday wishlist? Would you want a gaming mouse for your birthday/Christmas?

And people say I have problems? Everyone put your hands up for real first-world problems like this kid has. They try to lure you in with over-inflated terms like "mechanical gaming mouse" when all it is, is a keyboard with a few extra functions that you'll probably never even know exist because they're pretty pointless.

Gaming mice are about as stupid and pointless as a "gaming" PC. "Gaming mice" are over-priced. I've had my 13$ "gaming" mouse for 2 years now and not a single problem. Nor have I used any of the extra buttons.

Note: the true "gaming PC" is a console. Has all the same parts as a computer and functions in the exact same way except that it is tailored for the sole purpose of playing video games whereas these so-called "gaming PC" are nothing more than computers with over-priced parts or parts you thought you got a good deal on but were just stolen. Stuff like gaming keyboards, mice, speakers/headsets and any other device works just fine whether you buy a 10$ Walmart Onn brand mouse or a 1000$ flashy "thing" that looks nothing like a computer mouse but the box says it's a gaming mouse...

Tipsy Tipper

9,350 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Big Tipper 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
Just buy like five $30 mice so if it goes bad you can just replace it. You don't need any of that extra stuff.
I've never had a Razer or Logitec mouse so I can't compare, but I've enjoyed my Perixx one. I think I got it for around $40 but it's super comfortable and feels like how I imagine those other brands are.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff