Welcome to Gaia! ::

Jeb-
"The goal behind this change isn't to stop you from using xp grinders - I know that this cannot be done and I wouldn't even try even if it could. It's not to punish you for using them, or to force you to "have fun some other way". It's just to dissuade you from using them constantly verses other means. We don't want players to feel like they have to have a mob grinder if they want to play minecraft "seriously"; that may be how it was before 1.3, but it's changed a lot now and it's really easy to level up even without these.
XP grinders will still work, they just can't be abused so often for so much gain. The system in place currently is all completely arbitrary figures and this snapshot was just for testing if the mechanic worked at all; it isn't tuned in the slightest towards real numbers. I think currently it'd let you gain about 6 levels per 40 minutes per mob spawner. I've already adjusted them for the next snapshot to be 15 levels per 15 minutes per mob spawner, but even that's not going to be the final figure - it's all trial."

If I go through the trouble of learning mob spawn mechanics, gathering the materials, and taking the week to build the Enderman farm, I have earned my right to enchant after 3 minutes. They go through the trouble of fixing Enchanting, so that it isnt as hard to do without an XP grinder, then they go and do this s**t.

Jeb can say all he wants hes not trying to make you play a certain way, or punishing you for playing a certain way, but thats exactly what this is, and it is not how Minecraft was intended to be.

Lightbringer

That's pretty lame. With the recently implemented EXP gain from mining and manufacturing resources, the people that didn't want a mob grinder were given their method.
Takarashi
That's pretty lame. With the recently implemented EXP gain from mining and manufacturing resources, the people that didn't want a mob grinder were given their method.
Thats pretty much the most simple way of putting it. This is just punishing the player for learning mob spawn mechanics and using it to their advantage.

Nuglord's Partner

Super Poster

once they started moving away from the sandbox toward "survival" or consequently "adventure" mode, it was obvious things like this would eventually happen

personally i didnt have a problem with the old survival mode with simple mob behavior, not as much stuff to worry about, and minus the arbitrary mechanics like hunger or tameable pets
Grevioux
once they started moving away from the sandbox toward "survival" or consequently "adventure" mode, it was obvious things like this would eventually happen

personally i didnt have a problem with the old survival mode with simple mob behavior, not as much stuff to worry about, and minus the arbitrary mechanics like hunger or tameable pets
I havent tried the new Adventure mode, but I like Survival. It adds a new aspect and dimension to the game without ruining the sandbox foundation. I like the hunger part, it makes you focus on a different part of the game in a fair way. Tamable pets are a nice addition, as its just kind a of a cool little thing you can do if you want without suffering in any way. But this new thing of the Mob Farms being nerfed definitely takes away from the sandbox concept, as it makes you play the game a certain way.

Omnipresent Cultist

5,250 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Partygoer 500
If Mob Farms are far far better at getting XP than everything else in the game what gives you XP

then the "sandbox" is broken
Or you could just follow etiquette and not use grinders at all.

Dapper Millionaire

Disconsented

This.

Greedy Giver

I really don't see why people are getting worked up over it. I consider the grinders a form of "cheating." I feel that they take some of the fun out of the game, I mean whats the point of minecraft if you were to automate everything via redstone?

But that's just my opinion.

I feel that the player should always go outside at night, and kill these enemies with his trusty blade.
Grinders, hacks, etc. ruin the game.
Allegation
I really don't see why people are getting worked up over it. I consider the grinders a form of "cheating." I feel that they take some of the fun out of the game, I mean whats the point of minecraft if you were to automate everything via redstone?

But that's just my opinion.

I feel that the player should always go outside at night, and kill these enemies with his trusty blade.
Grinders, hacks, etc. ruin the game.
If someone wanted to automate with redstone, then thats how they chose to play the game, and they should be free to do so. If you want to go outside at night and kill everything with a sword, youre free to do the same thing. But theyre limiting players on what theyre free to do. See the point?
Disconsented
I was unaware there was an 'etiquette' in how I should play my Single Player world. All apologies rolleyes
People still play Minecraft?

Greedy Giver

HatredBearOmNomNom
People still play Minecraft?

The updates keep me going.

Tipsy Sex Symbol

8,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Mark Twain 100
So, your problem is that you're going to get less XP from an XP Grinder than a person who grows a pair of ******** balls and delves into the earth, mines up ore, fights monsters, explores, grows a field of wheat, etc?

You're going to get less XP for sitting in a single spot, just picking up XP that is handed to you automatically as a machine kills monsters... than someone who actually plays the game and gets their XP the slow way?

The update is actually supposed to even things out. You can use a monster grinder to get slow, steady XP or you can explore, mine, farm, etc and get bigger chunks of XP less frequently.

It balances things out.

Besides, you didn't learn to use the spawners, grinders, whatever to get good enchants. You did it so you could get the good enchants without having to work for them. So you could be lazy.

You leech.
Milady Chris Lightfellow
So, your problem is that you're going to get less XP from an XP Grinder than a person who grows a pair of ******** balls and delves into the earth, mines up ore, fights monsters, explores, grows a field of wheat, etc?

You're going to get less XP for sitting in a single spot, just picking up XP that is handed to you automatically as a machine kills monsters... than someone who actually plays the game and gets their XP the slow way?

The update is actually supposed to even things out. You can use a monster grinder to get slow, steady XP or you can explore, mine, farm, etc and get bigger chunks of XP less frequently.

It balances things out.

Besides, you didn't learn to use the spawners, grinders, whatever to get good enchants. You did it so you could get the good enchants without having to work for them. So you could be lazy.

You leech.
I have a 40x40 quarry almost all the way to bedrock, a branch mine thats about 200 blocks long, nicely sized wheat, watermelon, mushroom, sugar cane, and nether wart farms, and farms of every animal but Mooshrooms. Youve obviously never tried to make an Enderman Farm, to understand how much time, resources, and knowledge of the game it takes. You can say that "youre not working for your enchants", but the work that goes into them isnt by standing there and punching Enderman as they fall down to you. Its in the time it takes to construct and gather the resources that you earn your easy levels. And if youre fine with mining and killing things for half an hour just for one enchant, youve never tried to build a big enough thing thats extremely laborious. When youre clearing out a 100x200 swatch of land just to begin building, you need a crazy amount of enchanted tools, and you dont want to have to spend a half hour for one enchant just to have it break in another hour of use. Your 3 month project easily turns into a 6 month project. Its not being "lazy". Its having other s**t you want to do.

This is not a difficult concept. Its being able to play the game how you want that makes this game awesome. If someone wants to do what you do and slave for levels by killing and mining, please, do your thing. Im not here to tell you how to play the game that you paid for. But please get off your high horse, and shut the ******** up when I learn game mechanics, and take the 2 weeks to gather resources and construct an Enderman Farm. So that I can play the way that I want.

EDIT: Hell, by your logic, chicken farms should be nerfed as well. You mean you can just stand there in a chicken pen and kill them to get feathers for arrows and food? Thats lazy. You should grow some balls and go exploring to find wild chickens to kill for resources. Thats what I do, so thats what you should do.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff