Welcome to Gaia! ::

Greedy Hunter

8,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • There are two sides... 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
So, I'm doing a game design course and i'm going to develop a survival horror game. All I want to know is what kind of things can scare a lot the person who is playing.

I'll tell some of the details. The game will happen in a school where there are some monsters from japanese urban legends which appear at night there. There's no need to tell the whole story now, so yeah.

As I can't draw realistic or scary things, the game will have an appearance like the Project Diva's characters (go google it). So I can't depend a lot on the appearance of the game and all. But as it will be somehow 'cute', i'd like to add a lot of gore in it if possible xD

so, what scares you most in those survival horror games? A horror game won't be fun if it doesn't have horror, obviously.

Any suggestions will be very appreciated. cat_whee

Enduring Cyclops

15,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Peoplewatcher 100
x_KuroiNeko
So, I'm doing a game design course and i'm going to develop a survival horror game. All I want to know is what kind of things can scare a lot the person who is playing.

I'll tell some of the details. The game will happen in a school where there are some monsters from japanese urban legends which appear at night there. There's no need to tell the whole story now, so yeah.

As I can't draw realistic or scary things, the game will have an appearance like the Project Diva's characters (go google it). So I can't depend a lot on the appearance of the game and all. But as it will be somehow 'cute', i'd like to add a lot of gore in it if possible xD

so, what scares you most in those survival horror games? A horror game won't be fun if it doesn't have horror, obviously.

Something different...
A thing that just won't die.
Sure you can shootbeat it until it stops moving but it will be back an stronger and smarter.
Basically encountering it would give a choice: stop it for a short while and get stuff done or run and hide from it.
At least that would be different compared to most survival horror games that allow you to kill things.
x_KuroiNeko

Since its a survival horror game, I'd say make a monster or whatever your thinking about and make it to where its easy to kill alone.
But it will be fairly difficult to kill in packs or groups.
Make the Scary Things Move alot. Everyone loves a moving target to kill.
Now if you're sticking to one main scary monster thing, i suggest you make something that weakens it. but obviously it'l will comeback more agile and freighting o3o .

Greedy Hunter

8,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Mahzuki
x_KuroiNeko

Something different...
Sure you can shootbeat it until it stops moving but it will be back an stronger and smarter.
Basically encountering it would give a choice: stop it for a short while and get stuff done or run and hide from it.
At least that would be different compared to most survival horror games that allow you to kill things.

yes, my intention was to be unable to kill the things, you can only run away or hide from them, or some way to stop them for a short time... so it'll keeps chasing.

Shy Kitten

5,700 Points
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Friendly 100
  • The Wolf Within 100
what if you did something to Amensia (its a one of a kind game in my opinion.)You could make it really dark and have random creatures pop out randomly and chase the character that is being played. Also make some of the creatures impossible to kill. Also having a creature or a lunatic (maybe a ghost lunatic) sitting in a pool of blood and guts with a creepy laugh (If you are creating sounds as well) and crazy eyes and sayings.

I am also in Game Design. And I love your idea of a survival horror game

Enduring Cyclops

15,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Peoplewatcher 100
x_KuroiNeko
Mahzuki
x_KuroiNeko

Something different...

yes, my intention was to be unable to kill the things, you can only run away or hide from them, or some way to stop them for a short time... so it'll keeps chasing.

Yeah

Greedy Hunter

8,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Bovuh
x_KuroiNeko

Since its a survival horror game, I'd say make a monster or whatever your thinking about and make it to where its easy to kill alone.
Now if you're sticking to one main scary monster thing, i suggest you make something that weakens it. but obviously it'l will comeback more agile and freighting o3o .

as i answered the other post here, i'll make the person unable to kill the monster, just to hide and run away

what i'm looking for is a way to scare the person, how i would make the light and shadows in the rooms, which kind of music should play, how some of the monsters should appear and act, something like this.

If it helps, i can post some of the urban legends i'm going to use
x_KuroiNeko
Bovuh
x_KuroiNeko

as i answered the other post here, i'll make the person unable to kill the monster, just to hide and run away

what i'm looking for is a way to scare the person, how i would make the light and shadows in the rooms, which kind of music should play, how some of the monsters should appear and act, something like this.

Jumpscares are always good you just gotta know where to put em. And all the other things depends on the level design. you dont want a beautiful sunset and play action music. It just doesnt mix you know? A thing that im most afraid of is piano music(wrong keys so it sounds nasty) and dark scary corridors. o-o

Greedy Hunter

8,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Rayne_Firez
what if you did something to Amensia (its a one of a kind game in my opinion.)You could make it really dark and have random creatures pop out randomly and chase the character that is being played. Also make some of the creatures impossible to kill. Also having a creature or a lunatic (maybe a ghost lunatic) sitting in a pool of blood and guts with a creepy laugh (If you are creating sounds as well) and crazy eyes and sayings.

I am also in Game Design. And I love your idea of a survival horror game

nice, i should search for some Amnesia gameplays then. the creatures will be impossible to kill, as i'm using urban legends, it wouldn't be nice to just kill then and poof. I want things that can also disturb the player hhaha

And thanks!

Greedy Hunter

8,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Bovuh
x_KuroiNeko
Bovuh
x_KuroiNeko

Jumpscares are always good you just gotta know where to put em. And all the other things depends on the level design. you dont want a beautiful sunset and play action music. It just doesnt mix you know? A thing that im most afraid of is piano music(wrong keys so it sounds nasty) and dark scary corridors. o-o

nice! i should search for those kind of music. I really need to touch the player's fears and scare them in the right time XD i need to do a lot of research ;-;
x_KuroiNeko
Bovuh
x_KuroiNeko
Bovuh
x_KuroiNeko

nice! i should search for those kind of music. I really need to touch the player's fears and scare them in the right time XD i need to do a lot of research ;-;

I can already tell its gonna turn out good. i want you to scare me cx.

Greedy Hunter

8,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
Bovuh
x_KuroiNeko
Bovuh
x_KuroiNeko
Bovuh
x_KuroiNeko

thanks! glad to know haha! seems i'll have to make an english version too, hahaha! (i'm brazilian, so yeah :s)
x_KuroiNeko
Bovuh
x_KuroiNeko
Bovuh
x_KuroiNeko

thanks! glad to know haha! seems i'll have to make an english version too, hahaha! (i'm brazilian, so yeah :s)

Oh thats cool thats awesome c:

Distinct Hunter

I think the thing that actually gets to me is when it is realistic. For example, in Rule of Rose (PS2) the character actually gets winded if you run for too long and has to take a minute to catch her breath. When you are walking on a wooden plank, if she is not balanced and takes her time, she will fall off and most likely break her neck or die from the fall. She also starts out with her first weapon being a dinner fork (which is funny). I enjoyed that game and recommend it. when I was put into a character that is more realistic than the macho-i-can-run-forever-and-never-die characters, it kinda kicks my nerves up. ^^; I hope this all helped.

Enduring Cyclops

15,200 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Peoplewatcher 100
Cassia J Lernen
I think the thing that actually gets to me is when it is realistic. For example, in Rule of Rose (PS2) the character actually gets winded if you run for too long and has to take a minute to catch her breath. When you are walking on a wooden plank, if she is not balanced and takes her time, she will fall off and most likely break her neck or die from the fall. She also starts out with her first weapon being a dinner fork (which is funny). I enjoyed that game and recommend it. when I was put into a character that is more realistic than the macho-i-can-run-forever-and-never-die characters, it kinda kicks my nerves up. ^^; I hope this all helped.

Yeah! And make it so that the things chasing you can hear the character's heart beat!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff