Welcome to Gaia! ::

If a game had a really good story line but it cam out for some low caliber system. Say the classic eight bit gameboy or something would you play it or would you not even bother to look at it.

|I say that the story is what defines a game and not the graphics. The prime example would be paper mario. A 2d-ish feel but one fun adventure.
I would play it cause any game is worth playing at least oce
Gameplay is what i want. If i want a story, i'll read a book, if i wanna see stunning things, i'll watch a movie. If i wanna race cars, shoot things or feel like i'm a part of the action, i'll play a game. xp
A storyline and graphics is what makes the video game. believe it or not all games ave a story line. sports,racing,fighting. It just doesnt say story, but it retrospect, its the same thing.
If I had to choose I would go with storyline. In my opinion it actually takes a mixture of everything to make a great game. Like I said though if I had choose I'm going with storyline. At least with a good storyline you'll want to keep playing it. After awhile the pretty graphics aren't as pretty. that's just my opinion though. So.. um.. that's it.

Spoopy Loiterer

There are a lot of gaming cliches out there, and sometimes I feel like I'm playing a game that's very similar in storyline development to a different game, with the only difference being graphics. Fancy graphics are nice and all, but I think an original storyline really defines a game.
Native Alter
There are a lot of gaming cliches out there, and sometimes I feel like I'm playing a game that's very similar in storyline development to a different game, with the only difference being graphics. Fancy graphics are nice and all, but I think an original storyline really defines a game.

Well said. I think FFVI > All other FFs in terms to storyline.
D.Darko
Gameplay is what i want. If i want a story, i'll read a book, if i wanna see stunning things, i'll watch a movie. If i wanna race cars, shoot things or feel like i'm a part of the action, i'll play a game. xp

BAM. This man said everything I wanted to. Gameplay is what matters. Story and graphics have some impact, but gameplay is the really important thing.
I'm a sucker for a good storyline. gonk Of course good graphics don't hurt...but I really like my games to have storylines, I don't like those action-type games where there is no real story...

^o^ I get really sucked into a game's story and characters sometimes...

Spoopy Loiterer

Gen_Eric_Gui
D.Darko

BAM. This man said everything I wanted to. Gameplay is what matters. Story and graphics have some impact, but gameplay is the really important thing.
I like to think of it this way: If the gameplay is good but the storyline bites, what exactly am I accomplishing by playing this game?

That's part of the reason I'm not that big a fan of racing games or fighting games. I can't get into them very easily.
As has been said, gameplay is the most important thing. However, a good story is very important to me in some genres (RPGs being the primary, of course). Story is much more important to me than graphics. I still go back and play games like Chrono Trigger because the characters and plot was just so likable (and of course, the gameplay was solid). If the game is fun and the story engaging, I don't care that the characters are pixilated or the game doesn't have OMG LIEK TEH BEST GRAFIX EVAR!!!!!!!!!1111oneoneeleventyone
For me it's about having fun. I don't care how bad the story is, how bad the graphics are, how terrible the camera works or any of that. If I'm having a blast, then I'm having a blast. Period. A beautiful story is awesome. Sexy graphics is awesome. Ultra smooth, ultra tight controls is awesome, but if I'm not having fun, then I'm sorry, but it absolutely sucks.
Kenji Shouma
As has been said, gameplay is the most important thing. However, a good story is very important to me in some genres (RPGs being the primary, of course). Story is much more important to me than graphics. I still go back and play games like Chrono Trigger because the characters and plot was just so likable (and of course, the gameplay was solid). If the game is fun and the story engaging, I don't care that the characters are pixilated or the game doesn't have OMG LIEK TEH BEST GRAFIX EVAR!!!!!!!!!1111oneoneeleventyone
whee That last sentence of yours reminded me of how I was when I first used a ps2 (SSX Tricky). I was SO AMAZED! xd
Native Alter
Gen_Eric_Gui
D.Darko

I like to think of it this way: If the gameplay is good but the storyline bites, what exactly am I accomplishing by playing this game?

That's part of the reason I'm not that big a fan of racing games or fighting games. I can't get into them very easily.

Why do you need to accomplish anything by playing a game? What I accomplish by playing a game with good gameplay is that I have fun.

I mean, what if a game had a good storyline, but REALLY BAD gameplay. Like, Dragon Warrior 7, for instance. Sure, the story might have been excellent, but I'm not sitting though that boring game to see it.

I'd rather play Tales of Symphonia, which had a terrible storyline for an RPG, but was easily one of the most fun games I've ever played. Just like I'd rather play Guilty Gear, because it's just so much fun to pull of and watch the character's moves.
Gen_Eric_Gui
Native Alter
Gen_Eric_Gui
D.Darko

Why do you need to accomplish anything by playing a game? What I accomplish by playing a game with good gameplay is that I have fun.

I mean, what if a game had a good storyline, but REALLY BAD gameplay. Like, Dragon Warrior 7, for instance. Sure, the story might have been excellent, but I'm not sitting though that boring game to see it.

I'd rather play Tales of Symphonia, which had a terrible storyline for an RPG, but was easily one of the most fun games I've ever played. Just like I'd rather play Guilty Gear, because it's just so much fun to pull of and watch the character's moves.

*Liked ToS' story* As long as you're willing to suspend your disbelief, I think it was a really good story. D= Though the characters were what made it the most enjoyable, methinks. Still, I agree with what you're saying. I despised what I played of Suikoden III, but the story seemed decent enough for the third game in the series. Still, with boring characters and gameplay, I didn't stick around to see if the story ended up being any good. I don't pay $49.99 to be subjected to a snail's narrative.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff