Sparkly Explorer

Persona 4. Downgraded itself from Persona 3 in mechanics because of some mechanics people complained about being bad like people calling you up and whining to you about canceling their date or whatever or you getting their social link down by rejecting them.

Plus several other dozen core gameplay things in Persona 3 they removed that I can't remember right now because some a*****e stole my copy of P3 and I only borrowed P4, thank god.

The problem with the whole thing was that they never replaced the bad mechanics with anything good to balance out the gameplay's difficulty. I just found the whole game an extremely boring grind fest. I hated the characters and I hated the dramatic style change to the game's universe-- I was hoping something super bright would be contrasted with something super dark at some point but the whole thing just felt like one big saturday morning cartoon mystery show like bloody Scooby Doo.

I'll be blunt, there's barely any satanistic styles! ******** that! Shin Megami Tensei is all about Satanism! The shooting-yourself-in-the-head thing was beautiful!

Persona 3 Portable, which came out after Persona 4, took all the good things from both games and mashed them together for a beautifully balanced and gorgeous gameplay.

Persona 4: The Golden probably fixed the gameplay mechanics I hated from the original version but I still think it's bullshit they didn't add a female MC to it just because (seemingly) there's an event you and your male friends dress up as women and they just didn't want to cut that from the script because it was ~too funny~.

Disclaimer: I haven't played these games in like three years so excuse me if I'm foggy on some minor details.