Welcome to Gaia! ::

Aged Vampire

5,275 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
What other game is like Destiny. I want to know whether or not your actually talking about your opinion with actual facts or biased statements.
GrayFox7
AstralStorm

The only thing Destiny is competent of is having On-Disc DLC, no lore in the actual game itself, repetitive gameplay, pretty graphics and good gunplay. Hardly a game that stood up to it's original If you think no game at all has no good story, then you obviously haven't played any "Tales of" game, or Okami. Halo had more to it then Destiny, namely lore,

Eh, did it? Aside from the Halo 3 terminals ( which didn't contribute a whole lot), Halo didn't really explore its own universe or lore. You had to go buy the books/comic books/watch the extra cartoons to see any of that.

Kind of like how in Destiny, you have to go to an outside source to read up on its lore. I wouldn't really compliment either method, because it bit Halo 4 in the a**. But saying that Halo handled its lore well is kinda odd.

I consider backstory ("lore" is a retarded word to use for goddamn video games) to be not exist if it's not presented in-game. The "show, don't tell" rule and all that.
AstralStorm
Super 9-Volt
Can you elaborate on what you mean by "games like Destiny"?
I believe when he refers to "games like Destiny" he's referring to games that aren't completed, but act like they are.

See: Destiny's lack of any real content, Destiny's lack of in-game lore/story, Destiny's highly repetitive gameplay...so on so forth.

I don't see how any of that is different from, say, Halo.

Loyal Gekko

7,000 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
GrayFox7
AstralStorm

The only thing Destiny is competent of is having On-Disc DLC, no lore in the actual game itself, repetitive gameplay, pretty graphics and good gunplay. Hardly a game that stood up to it's original If you think no game at all has no good story, then you obviously haven't played any "Tales of" game, or Okami. Halo had more to it then Destiny, namely lore,

Eh, did it? Aside from the Halo 3 terminals ( which didn't contribute a whole lot), Halo didn't really explore its own universe or lore. You had to go buy the books/comic books/watch the extra cartoons to see any of that.

Kind of like how in Destiny, you have to go to an outside source to read up on its lore. I wouldn't really compliment either method, because it bit Halo 4 in the a**. But saying that Halo handled its lore well is kinda odd.

I never said it handled it well, but it certainly had events and the actually explained things in game,such as the Halos being a massive super-weapon capable of eradicating all sentient life in the galaxy.
Which is miles better then what Destiny has, I STILL don't even know what the "Collapse" is, or what happened during it, or what the blood hell the "Darkness" is. Halo explained things, Destiny does not, that alone puts Halo head and shoulders above Destiny in the lore/story department.

Loyal Gekko

7,000 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Senator Armstrong
AstralStorm
Super 9-Volt
Can you elaborate on what you mean by "games like Destiny"?
I believe when he refers to "games like Destiny" he's referring to games that aren't completed, but act like they are.

See: Destiny's lack of any real content, Destiny's lack of in-game lore/story, Destiny's highly repetitive gameplay...so on so forth.

I don't see how any of that is different from, say, Halo.

(Boy does being foggy from waking up vastly decrease my ability to find a quoted post...)

Halo had story contained in the actual games, Halo had continuous gameplay, kinda like Borderlands which mean's it's not really repetitive in it's own way.

Destiny is legitimately the same thing on *every* mission.

>Go somewhere, Ghost decrypts some pointless machine or opens a door. Go somewhere else, defend Ghost while he decrypts another pointless machine.

Boss fights are hardly much better, as all the bosses are stupid bullet sponges and nothing more.

Dapper Spotter

AstralStorm
GrayFox7
AstralStorm

I never said it handled it well, but it certainly had events and the actually explained things in game,such as the Halos being a massive super-weapon capable of eradicating all sentient life in the galaxy.
Which is miles better then what Destiny has, I STILL don't even know what the "Collapse" is, or what happened during it, or what the blood hell the "Darkness" is. Halo explained things, Destiny does not, that alone puts Halo head and shoulders above Destiny in the lore/story department.

Ok, then let's just compare the very first Halo game's story events with Destiny's. That's only fair, this is the first game and this is supposed to be a 10 year project.

Halo 1: What we know about the enemy. The Covenant.....uh, we don't know anything about the Covenant at this point. aside from the names of their soldiers. They're at war with humanity. Their fanatical religious nature isn't even touched on in this game since none of them talk. Cortana might make one throw away comment on it but I can't remember.

The Flood: Some ancient, alien evil that infects other life forms. Scary stuff. Halo was made to kill their food so they can't spread. 343 Guilty Spark wants to activate Halo for that reason. Ok, we know quite a bit about the Flood. Good show.

The UNSC. They're humans. In Space. Master Chief is a super soldier. Cortana is an AI. Johnson is black. We literally know nothing else about them at this point.

The overall main story: Humans are fleeing an antagonistic alien force they are at war with. They find another alien installation, find something worse for wear within and most of them end up dead in order to destroy it. By the end of the game, Chief takes off his helmet and we're wondering what's going to happen next.

Now Destiny.

The Fallen: Four armed aliens, the first we fight in the game. We know through our encounters with Dinklebot they have "houses", which represent factions. We even kill a few of their leaders, which supposedly throws those factions into in-fighting. Also we see that they are not against joining up with other races, like the Awoken. Past that, they have no impact on the main story.

The Hive: Before the expansion came out, we knew this: they were a race of horrifying aliens that have taken over the moon and them coming back to earth is a big deal.

The Vex: The right hand of the Darkness. They do stuff with space and time. Their main motivation is serving their master apparently. More important to the main story than the others.

The Cabal: Militant space turtles. Largely unimportant.

The Darkness: The main antagonistic force we face. We don't know much about it.

Exo Stranger: She doesn't have time to explain why she doesn't have time to explain.
Who let you in Maggie?

the Guardians: Resurrected Warriors brought back to fight the Darkness. Their source of power is "the light" which comes from the Traveler. The Traveler is a giant space...thing that, when discovered, jump started humanity's technology and longevity several years. It sacrificed itself to save humanity from the Darkness, and at the end has begun to heal. What does that mean? Don't know yet.

Overall story: You're a guardian that was brought back from the dead to fight the Darkness and save the Traveler. At the end of the main game you defeat a chunk of the Darkness and the Traveler begins to heal. What this means, we don't entirely know.

TL;DR This is a Bungie thing. They are great about making these cool, interesting universes with aesthetically pleasing environments, weapons and characters and they also make fun, solid gameplay. But their story telling is not their strong suit. It has always been subpar and vague.

I like Destiny, but I agree when people say that its story telling is lackluster. I just don't get it when people try to compare it to Halo when that game was just as vague until it had a few games under its belt.

Loyal Gekko

7,000 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
GrayFox7
AstralStorm
GrayFox7
AstralStorm

Ok, then let's just compare the very first Halo game's story events with Destiny's. That's only fair, this is the first game and this is supposed to be a 10 year project.

Halo 1: What we know about the enemy. The Covenant.....uh, we don't know anything about the Covenant at this point. aside from the names of their soldiers. They're at war with humanity. Their fanatical religious nature isn't even touched on in this game since none of them talk. Cortana might make one throw away comment on it but I can't remember.

The Flood: Some ancient, alien evil that infects other life forms. Scary stuff. Halo was made to kill their food so they can't spread. 343 Guilty Spark wants to activate Halo for that reason. Ok, we know quite a bit about the Flood. Good show.

The UNSC. They're humans. In Space. Master Chief is a super soldier. Cortana is an AI. Johnson is black. We literally know nothing else about them at this point.

The overall main story: Humans are fleeing an antagonistic alien force they are at war with. They find another alien installation, find something worse for wear within and most of them end up dead in order to destroy it. By the end of the game, Chief takes off his helmet and we're wondering what's going to happen next.

Now Destiny.

The Fallen: Four armed aliens, the first we fight in the game. We know through our encounters with Dinklebot they have "houses", which represent factions. We even kill a few of their leaders, which supposedly throws those factions into in-fighting. Also we see that they are not against joining up with other races, like the Awoken. Past that, they have no impact on the main story.

The Hive: Before the expansion came out, we knew this: they were a race of horrifying aliens that have taken over the moon and them coming back to earth is a big deal.

The Vex: The right hand of the Darkness. They do stuff with space and time. Their main motivation is serving their master apparently. More important to the main story than the others.

Exo Stranger: She doesn't have time to explain why she doesn't have time to explain.
Who let you in Maggie?

the Guardians: Resurrected Warriors brought back to fight the Darkness. Their source of power is "the light" which comes from the Traveler. The Traveler is a giant space...thing that, when discovered, jump started humanity's technology and longevity several years. It sacrificed itself to save humanity from the Darkness, and at the end has begun to heal. What does that mean? Don't know yet.

Overall story: You're a guardian that was brought back from the dead to fight the Darkness and save the Traveler. At the end of the main game you defeat a chunk of the Darkness and the Traveler begins to heal. What this means, we don't entirely know.

TL;DR This is a Bungie thing. They are great about making these cool, interesting universes with aesthetically pleasing environments, weapons and characters and they also make fun, solid gameplay. But their story telling is not their strong suit. It has always been subpar and vague.

I like Destiny, but I agree when people say that its story telling is lackluster. I just don't get it when people try to compare it to Halo when that game was just as vague until it had a few games under its belt.
Yow, it's not often I get shutdown like this (unless I'm playing League of Legends, hue).Very points there, ain't gonna lie.
There's also another thing Halo has over Destiny that I put fairly big importance on. Likeable characters. Destiny we just have the Exo Stranger, Yourself, Dinklebot, who is arguably the only character I like, the Speaker, and then the guy who runs the Crucible whom I like when he isn't making me feel bad for struggling during a crucible match xD

There's just alot of things Destiny could've done better at launch, and Bungie needs to play their cards carefully if they want to see all 10 years through.
>On Disc DLC is not playing their cards carefully, I'll say that much.

Dapper Spotter

AstralStorm
GrayFox7
AstralStorm
GrayFox7
AstralStorm

Now Destiny.

Who let you in Maggie?

Yow, it's not often I get shutdown like this (unless I'm playing League of Legends, hue).Very points there, ain't gonna lie.
There's also another thing Halo has over Destiny that I put fairly big importance on. Likeable characters. Destiny we just have the Exo Stranger, Yourself, Dinklebot, who is arguably the only character I like, the Speaker, and then the guy who runs the Crucible whom I like when he isn't making me feel bad for struggling during a crucible match xD

There's just alot of things Destiny could've done better at launch, and Bungie needs to play their cards carefully if they want to see all 10 years through.

I don't think Johnson even had a name in the first Halo game. He was just the funny character. I thought the Awoken were interesting. I really want to know more about the Queen and her Fallen, which will hopefully be touched on more in House of Wolves.

The thing about Destiny though is that while it has a slew of complaints, a lot of these complaints are actually fixable. And Bungie has actually been doing a pretty good job in fixing a lot of things that were driving people insane (engrams, drop rates, farming materials). They just need to keep that pace, learn from their mistakes and hire a better team of writers.

Loyal Gekko

7,000 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
GrayFox7
AstralStorm
GrayFox7
AstralStorm
GrayFox7
AstralStorm

Now Destiny.

Who let you in Maggie?

I don't think Johnson even had a name in the first Halo game. He was just the funny character. I thought the Awoken were interesting. I really want to know more about the Queen and her Fallen, which will hopefully be touched on more in House of Wolves.

The thing about Destiny though is that while it has a slew of complaints, a lot of these complaints are actually fixable. And Bungie has actually been doing a pretty good job in fixing a lot of things that were driving people insane (engrams, drop rates, farming materials). They just need to keep that pace, learn from their mistakes and hire a better team of writers.

I hope so, cuz I DESPERATELY want to like Destiny. But I just can't in it's current state.
Gunnerblaster
Oh, certainly - But that's your opinion. I highly doubt that neither of us are capable of properly determining something's quality and having that rating valued over one another's. What you consider to be s**t might not, in fact, be what someone else consider's s**t. You aren't a sole authority or anything nearly as important as that, I'm sure.

Wrong. It's entirely possible to view things as they are and NOT as an opinion.
You learn how to do this when you learn the actual facts about things.
Destiny is a s**t game. That's a fact, nothing you or me can say or think about it can change that.
I personally believe that while it is s**t,
that the fact that Bungie was trying to stretch out into something new gives it enough credit to exist.
But that doesn't change that the game is still s**t.

Case and point for what I'm trying to teach you...
Warriors games. (Samurai/Dynasty and so on)
These games are also s**t,
but I ******** love them.
It doesn't change that they are s**t just because I love them,
it just means it's a brand of s**t that appeals to me.

People can love s**t, that doesn't make it any better than it really is,
but people are allowed to like things that are bad.
Tabasco Jones
Gunnerblaster
Oh, certainly - But that's your opinion. I highly doubt that neither of us are capable of properly determining something's quality and having that rating valued over one another's. What you consider to be s**t might not, in fact, be what someone else consider's s**t. You aren't a sole authority or anything nearly as important as that, I'm sure.

Wrong. It's entirely possible to view things as they are and NOT as an opinion.
You learn how to do this when you learn the actual facts about things.
Destiny is a s**t game. That's a fact, nothing you or me can say or think about it can change that.
I personally believe that while it is s**t,
that the fact that Bungie was trying to stretch out into something new gives it enough credit to exist.
But that doesn't change that the game is still s**t.

Case and point for what I'm trying to teach you...
Warriors games. (Samurai/Dynasty and so on)
These games are also s**t,
but I ******** love them.
It doesn't change that they are s**t just because I love them,
it just means it's a brand of s**t that appeals to me.

People can love s**t, that doesn't make it any better than it really is,
but people are allowed to like things that are bad.

Nah Destiny is pretty fun.
Senator Armstrong

Clearly you decided to sleep through trolling class when they pointed out that an obvious troll,
is a fail troll.
But everyone should have figured out by now that's what you're doing.

Conservative Regular

AstralStorm
I STILL don't even know what the "Collapse" is, or what happened during it, or what the blood hell the "Darkness" is.

The Collapse was the apocalypse caused by the "Darkness" what is a Eldritch Abomination

the survivors of the Collapse are those living on Earth, who were saved by "the Traveler", what is also a Eldritch Abomination
Tabasco Jones
Senator Armstrong

Clearly you decided to sleep through trolling class when they pointed out that an obvious troll,
is a fail troll.

I, uh, I really do like it.
Senator Armstrong
Tabasco Jones
Senator Armstrong

is a fail troll.

I, uh, I really do like it.

You hear that guys? The obvious troll says he's not trolling.
He MUST be telling us the truth.
After-all, obvious trolls never lie, they're too stupid to even know how to troll.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff