Welcome to Gaia! ::

OpZeroFilms's Kouhai

Eloquent Genius

22,800 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Little Bunny Foo Foo 100
  • Senpai's Notice 100
Video game reviews are tricky. There are honest ones, and then there are ones that just give praise to game that really suck but will make a lot of money anyway. Then there are some that are clouded by that person's opinion about a specific game that may make them see it as worse than it really is.
My main question is: do you read game reviews? Do you read them just to get a good laugh, or do you take them seriously? Honestly, I'll take a look at game reviews occasionally, but just so that I know what a game is about so that I know if I will have an interest in it. I never pay attention to the scores people give because my opinion of how good or bad the game is will most likely be different than theirs is. What do you guys think?

Unsealed Rogue

13,975 Points
  • Supreme Supporter 500
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Invisibility 100
It's subjective out there. The only good review you'll find is the review you give yourself about the game you play. Sometimes I'd read the game reviews anyway, for giggles.
I don't really read game reviews. What happens i I usually watch first looks at certain games I think I might like. I watch a few gaming channels. If the game interests me I'll stop watching and buy it. If not then I know not to bother.

Angry Joe is an online reviewer that I trust a lot as well.
    ︽︾ -------------------- Let instinct guide you {&} Let legend inspire you

I don't pay attention to game reviews. In fact, I hardly ever read/watch them. *shrugs* I often have a very different opinion on games, so I just go with my own instinct.

It's better to find someone (you can trust) who can give you first impressions or someone who criticizes games well after release (after the hype), then go from there.

Omnipresent Regular

8,175 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
User ImageWeen shellan yorra accroad mea, sarla oz enne.
Titil yehah, presia yorr wis yehah, presia yanje.

If I'm interested in a game that I don't know much about I'll spend a solid hour or more watching reviews and gameplay videos to see if it's something I think I would be willing to drop money on.

This is, of course, assuming that I'm talking about a $60 game. This is probably why I haven't bought many $60 games in the past few years. Coincidentally I've also regretted most of those AAA title purchases because I either didn't look into it enough or I decided to buy it despite a nagging feeling that I shouldn't.

With all the games I have in my backlog these days it's a lot easier to just wait for a game to go on sale while I play something else.

OpZeroFilms's Kouhai

Eloquent Genius

22,800 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Senpai's Notice 100
Ethozz
It's subjective out there. The only good review you'll find is the review you give yourself about the game you play. Sometimes I'd read the game reviews anyway, for giggles.

Same. That "too much water" comment from IGN still gets me lol

Questionable Creature

Usually only the Amazon ones. To get an idea of how the game is among the majority of gamers that bought it there. You'll also easily find out if it has any major glitches through these. There aren't ever enough scarce troll or idiot reviews to affect it much, but I do actually scim through some, not just look at stars rated.
Not really, no. I'll read or watch game reviews but I don't take them to heart like many other people happen to do.

I see watching/reading them as a 'suggestion' and not as an end-all 'purchasing decision' for myself. I'll also watch videos on the gameplay but I'll still decide whether if it's for me or not.

OpZeroFilms's Kouhai

Eloquent Genius

22,800 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Senpai's Notice 100
Hexstus
No. People are stupid.

Aww, what? You had a serious reply before. Why did you change it? Got a rep to keep?

Eloquent Elocutionist

6,050 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
I only read reviews for games that I'm unsure I'll like. I don't usually take their scores to heart, but it's helpful to see aspects of the game thoroughly summarized.

Most games I end up buying catch my interest in a way that reviews would have very little sway over.

Hardcore Unicorn

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Video games are so expensive nowadays that I'd like to know what I'm getting into. I mainly rely on reviews to tell me if the game is broken/buggy, especially at launch.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff