Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gallant Hero

10,550 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Treasure Hunter 100
So I found out something a little bit ago that really put things into perspective for me, regarding Bayonetta 2, and I just want to talk about that a little....[keep in mind, I'm an owner of the first game, on PS3]

A long while back, a little gem called Mad World made its way to the Wii.
This game, despite being on a system that was infested mostly with casuals who didn't pay attention to core-oriented action titles, still managed to sell a pretty decent amount. Around 700.000 units.

Now flash forward, and Anarchy Reigns, a spiritual sequel[if not a direct one] to Mad World that not only includes Jack from Mad World but also features a cameo appearance from Bayonetta herself, comes to the PS3 and 360.
Both of these systems were well known to have far more core-oriented gamers, so it should have been a no-brainer for high sales, because it was a really decent game.

Anarchy Reins sold a mere 320K units.
After combining sales from BOTH VERSIONS of the game.

Now here's the kicker; You didn't hear a peep from the people that bought Mad World on the Wii about its sequel not hitting the Wii as well.
Despite Wii owners having made the first game sell well, there weren't any gigantic media upheavals over its sequel not hitting the system the original was on.
Nor did you see thread after thread for months on end from Nintendo's gamers, bashing PS3/XBone users for not supporting AR when the fewer core gamers on Wii U made the first game sell better.

Now fast forward to the present, and Bayonetta 2 is a Wii U exclusive, releasing in just a few days.

The internet has gone HAYWIRE over it.

We've got a huge amount of non-Wii-U owners complaining about Bayonetta 2's exclusivity.
They're calling it doomed due to the very system it's on, and crying that it should have come to their own systems instead, when the first game only managed to sell around a million-and-a-half units between the two consoles that it released on.

Combined.

So it really makes me beg the question; if all of these complainers really do love Platinum as much as they claim?
If they want Platinum's core-related games to come to their system more and hate seeing games like Bayonetta 2 become an exclusive to Nintendo systems?
If they really, truly believed that Platinum's games would have sold far better if they stayed tied to only Sony and Microsoft's systems?

WHERE WERE THEY WHEN BAY 1 AND ANARCHY REIGNS NEEDED THEIR HELP?

And what makes them think that they've got any right to complain NOW, of all times, when many of them are demonstrating that their fondest wish is to SEE BAYONETTA 2 FAIL?

I dunno, man, it just gets to me; these people shouldn't be calling for the death of Bayonetta 2 when they, historically, haven't really gone out of their way for the majority of Platinum's games.
The only one I can think of recently that they showed any interest in is Metal Gear Rising, and we all know that that's likely because it was attached to the Metal Gear name, if anything.

They just lack the credibility needed to voice a legitimate complaint, especially when, as far as I know, nothing regarding fan movements to help these games sell better occurred from them, while it's happening in the here and now for Bayonetta 2.

Even with the low sales of Bay 2 in Japan, where Platinum traditionally doesn't do well anyways, there's a larger voice of support.
People are still praising the game despite the sales.
Despite its failure in Japan, there's still a voice of support out here in the states, and even if it sells abysmally out here, too, there's still going to be people who praise it for its quality despite any failure it shows in sales, because those few people know that Platinum's games are top quality and deserve that support no matter what the charts tell you.

The hypocritical death knells and hatred, from people that hate Platinum for putting Bay 2 on the Wii U, needs to stop.
Similarly, the responsibility for making Platinum's latest darling, needs to stop being shoved entirely upon the Nintendo fanbase's shoulders.

Rather than saying "Nintendo fans need to support Platinum and this game", it should be "Platinum's fans need to start supporting Platinum's games regardless of system instead of condemning them for putting one of their games on just one system."

To say anything less than that, is to disregard the failure of gamers to show wide-spread support of Platinum's games in the past in the first place.

And before you mention it, yes, I'm talking to the people that didn't make The Wonderful 101 sell better, as well.

Quit griping, start buying.
I went multiplat for Bayonetta 1 and I didn't even know much about the company at the time.
If I can do that to show support for an incredible game, so can you.

Tricky Informer

7,300 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Informer 100
I don't think it's doomed, I'm just bummed I can't play it because i dont have a Wii. Lots of games are exclusives. It even used to be normal that way and everyone just had to accept it. But I still hope future Bayonetta games will be on different platforms! cat_redface emotion_bigheart

Gallant Hero

10,550 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Treasure Hunter 100
Helpful Cait Sith
I don't think it's doomed, I'm just bummed I can't play it because i dont have a Wii. Lots of games are exclusives. It even used to be normal that way and everyone just had to accept it. But I still hope future Bayonetta games will be on different platforms! cat_redface emotion_bigheart

It won't be, if the franchise gets discontinued because no one wants to step outside of their other consoles to support the second game...

My whole point is that the game needs support outside of just Nintendo's fans.
It needs Platinum fans, too.
It needs gamers in general.

Both Black Friday and Christmas are coming up; if there was ever a time to help support this game, then those two times would be it, if not on launch.

Dangerous Poster

6,100 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Invisibility 100
I never had a craving for Bayonetta...the game is not as popular as you make is seem...its a meh game...you make it seem like its a must have or something

Friendly Cultist

Did Mad World have anywhere near the following that Bayonetta did? And even then, Anarchy Reigns is hardly even close to the same kind of game that Mad World was.

I agree with what you're saying, but I don't really see the point in comparing them.

O.G. Gaian

5,850 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Cart Raider 100
Quote:
I never had a craving for Bayonetta...the game is not as popular as you make is seem...its a meh game...you make it seem like its a must have or something

In a relationship with every woman

Diamond Dog

14,550 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Megathread 100
Color me stupid, but I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say.
Are you mad that people don't buy Wii U's just to support Bayonetta 2?
People aren't obligated to buy anything.
I too am pretty bummed about it being a WiiU exclusive because I loved the first one.
But I also understand that the WiiU needs some non-Mario/Zelda/Metroid Exclusives,
or it's gonna be in rough shape.

So I'm willing to take one or the gaming industry as a whole.

Tricky Informer

7,300 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Junior Trader 100
  • Informer 100
smashbrolink

Both Black Friday and Christmas are coming up; if there was ever a time to help support this game, then those two times would be it, if not on launch.

I could barely afford my PS4 and the whole two games I got for it. I like Bayonetta but I'm not gonna spend a couple hundred bucks just to play it. For grownups it's not (always) douchebaggery that makes them pick sides in console war, it's their budget! I'll watch other people play on twitch or youtube. cat_sweatdrop

It will be fine even if this one doesn't do as well as the first. Worst case they can license her to other companies as hidden/unlockable/guest thing like in the old Capcom VS games or SSB and use the ends from that to fund a future game multiplatform.
I visit a ton of gaming sites and listen to quite a few gaming podcasts and I haven't noticed this. I see the reviews and they are really great. What I see is when someone brings up Bayo 2 they say it's great, that they really liked the first one, but it's 'a shame' it's only on Wii U but most understand why it's only on that platform. Then they say that as much as they liked Bayo 1, they're not getting a Wii U just for Bayo 2. That's what I've mostly seen in forums, comments, and gaming podcasts.

I think you're exaggerating this a bit. Bayo 2 will be enjoyable when it releases. If you own a Wii U, buy it and enjoy it. I own a Wii U and I'm looking forward to it. Not buying it day one though, I'm buying Freedom Wars this month and will get Bayo 2 around the middle to end of November.

Omnipresent Regular

8,175 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
User ImageWeen shellan yorra accroad mea, sarla oz enne.
Titil yehah, presia yorr wis yehah, presia yanje.

Wasn't Anarchy Reigns a (mostly) online multiplayer brawler? I remember that being the reason I didn't buy it.

I know I had looked into it and it didn't look all that interesting for the price tag.
Why does it matter? There was a time when there was pretty much no such thing as multi-platform games, or rather, a very very very few amount.

Sometimes you have to accept the fact of exclusivity and either shell out the money for a console that has your game choices or not buy it and miss out on it.

Needless to say, no one I know is getting a Wii U for Bayo 2 even though they enjoyed the hell out of the first one.

Eloquent Conversationalist

11,325 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Contributor 150
People would rather gripe about what they can't have than actually get it. Especially if it happens to be on a system that they don't own at this time. I've come to realize that people would rather get up in arms over something without actually researching the decision behind it that put it there in the first place. I also played Anarchy Reigns but I got bored at how repetitive the "Mission System" was. Not a bad game at all but it wasn’t great either.

For example, Tales of Hearts R and Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment. Which are both titles on the PlayStation Vita. Instead of people being excited that the games are being released outside of Japan they'd rather have it on a 3DS or some other console. Tales of Heart R will only be getting a Japanese dub with English subtitles or whatever subtitle language people prefer. Oh well. While they're not playing the games I'll be enjoying them immensely.

Personally, I'm willing to compromise and still play them. Others, however, are not just because of that one decision. Isn't the whole point to be getting the game in any way, shape, or form? Keep in mind; most of the stuff I've seen against these two specific titles has been on YouTube and Facebook. Even now with the PlayStation TV people don't even need to go out and buy a PS Vita just for Tales of Hearts R. But they will still need a Vita for Sword Art Online.

I understand entirely about the exclusivity of Bayo 2 on the Wii U. However, I'll most likely not be getting it since I still don't have a Wii U and I wasn't that interested in a sequel after having played the first game. That said, if they really are "fans" of the series then they would get the game and console regardless of what it's on or those business decisions. And if not, then they weren't exactly "fans" of the series in the first place. No idea how much of a following the rest had though.

Gallant Hero

10,550 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Treasure Hunter 100
OctoCamo
Color me stupid, but I'm not quite sure what you're trying to say.
Are you mad that people don't buy Wii U's just to support Bayonetta 2?
People aren't obligated to buy anything.

That doesn't bother me, no.
It's the complaining despite that unwillingness that bothers me.
If there's a game that I want on a console that I cannot afford at the moment, I put some savings on the back-burner and wait for a few more games to justify the purchase as funds build in the savings.

I don't go on a crusade to denounce the game I want due to the system its on, like so many others are.

Basically, I'm more than a little sick of the hypocrisy of the whiners that are trying to put this game into an early grave just because it's on a console they don't want to own.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff