Welcome to Gaia! ::

Vicious Carnivore

15,300 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Dressed Up 200
Hello MMORPG players!

So I'm doing a research project about the both company-written and fan-made written instructions for MMORPG games (actual written instructions on sites, not in-game tutorials), and I need some feedback. Hence, SURVEYS! If you could please answer the survey below as thoroughly and honestly as possible, I would really appreciate it. As this is an actual research project, all information and answers shall remain confidential. Of course, you're free to post your answers or pm them to me. Either works.

In return, all those who do this survey shall receive 5,000 gold!

Survey:

1. This question is optional, but about how old are you? (You don’t have to tell me exactly, just give me a rough estimate or rounded number. But again to reassure you, this information is all confidential.)

2. How familiar are you with MMORPG?
a. What kinds of MMO’s do you play?
b. In MMO’s, do you usually solo or join a party?
c. How often do you play?

3. What are your own feelings about written instructions as a whole for MMORPG in comparison to in-game tutorials? How important are they?
a. Have you ever read the instructions for any games, whether at the beginning, for a question, or for a particular quest?

4. Do you think others should read the instructions? Would it help someone who may not be as familiar with the game?

5. For “usual” company-made written “official” tutorials (the ones with that usually have art in the background, colorful art-y texts, and pictures and art in general), do you find those instructions easier to read than an average manual telling you how to (for example) install an alarm clock?
a. If it is, why is MMORPG textual instructions more attractive to you or more easily read? (thoughts at least)

6. How reliable do you find fan-written instructions?
a. Do you use them yourself when playing?
b. If so, do you frequent forums or fan-made instructional sites more often?
c. Are instructions on fan-made sites or on forums more helpful/accurate?

7. Do you prefer instructions written by the company or fans?

8. How important are written instructions to the overall gaming experience?

Either way, thank you!

Vicious Carnivore

15,300 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Dressed Up 200

Vicious Carnivore

15,300 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Dressed Up 200
Errantum
Stop trying to collect information on me! I will not be a part of your heinous experiments!

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! twisted twisted twisted

Vicious Carnivore

15,300 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Dressed Up 200

9,250 Points
  • Conversationalist 100
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
1. This question is optional, but about how old are you?
I'm 22

on a scale of 1 to 10, 9 for most familiar

Sci-fi (Star Wars The Old Republic), and anime oriented (Digimon Masters Online.)

I mostly go solo, but I join a party when I get invites.

Half an hour to an hour and a half, my computer can only handle so much.

3. What are your own feelings about written instructions as a whole for MMORPG in comparison to in-game tutorials? How important are they?
Written instructions can be read at any time, in game tutorials are unskippable.

a. Have you ever read the instructions for any games, whether at the beginning, for a question, or for a particular quest?
Yes, I read them at the beginning.

4. Do you think others should read the instructions? Would it help someone who may not be as familiar with the game?
Most likely, since not every MMORPG is like the other, and some play differently than others.

5. For “usual” company-made written “official” tutorials (the ones with that usually have art in the background, colorful art-y texts, and pictures and art in general), do you find those instructions easier to read than an average manual telling you how to (for example) install an alarm clock?
a. If it is, why is MMORPG textual instructions more attractive to you or more easily read? (thoughts at least)
Textual instructions are simple

6. How reliable do you find fan-written instructions? Depends if they're readable/legible
a. Do you use them yourself when playing? Not much
b. If so, do you frequent forums or fan-made instructional sites more often? Yes
Sometime's I find some in other languages so I use a translator

7. Do you prefer instructions written by the company or instructions?
Company written, since they made the game

Somewhat important, if there's a point where you get lost/stuck

Vicious Carnivore

15,300 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Dressed Up 200
JediPadawanJess

Thank you so much for answering! It really helps and I appreciate you taking the time to go through the questions. I'm sending you the gold trade now! blaugh

Lightbringer

I'm not interested in the Gold, but I'll do the survey anyway. My answers might come off as indecisive or uninformative, in which case I apologize.

1. This question is optional, but about how old are you? 23

2. How familiar are you with MMORPG? Very familiar.
a. What kinds of MMO’s do you play? Generally adventure, since that's the most common, though I like to try all manner of different types.
b. In MMO’s, do you usually solo or join a party? I prefer soloing.
c. How often do you play? For the forseeable future, I'm not playing any more MMOs as I've simply grown tired of them, but I have a little under a decade under my belt of trying different ones.

3. What are your own feelings about written instructions as a whole for MMORPG in comparison to in-game tutorials? How important are they? Documentation, however useless, is always important in worst-case scenarios. No one should ever assume that written instructions are unnecessary.
a. Have you ever read the instructions for any games, whether at the beginning, for a question, or for a particular quest? I generally do if the situation does not feel intuitive, or if it's my first time going through.

4. Do you think others should read the instructions? Would it help someone who may not be as familiar with the game? Yes to both questions. While simply telling a person to 'go read the manual' for every question they have is rude, it might help them avoid having to ask the question in the first place.

5. For “usual” company-made written “official” tutorials (the ones with that usually have art in the background, colorful art-y texts, and pictures and art in general), do you find those instructions easier to read than an average manual telling you how to (for example) install an alarm clock? I'm indifferent when there's art that's just there for show, though it can admittedly be distracting. Of course, that argument can also be reversed, in that a reader might not feel engaged or interested with plain text. If there are visuals such as screenshots of the interface/environment and whatnot, I believe those to be very beneficial.
a. If it is, why is MMORPG textual instructions more attractive to you or more easily read? (thoughts at least) Visual cues help with a person's memory, generally speaking. The more information provided (without being unnecessarily elaborate, therefore leading to information overload), the better off a person is.

6. How reliable do you find fan-written instructions? It varies greatly depending on the ability, or abilities, of the writer(s). Projects undertaken by multiple people with some manner of quality assurance are often quite reliable, whereas something done by anyone (singular or multiple) with no QA are probably terrible.
a. Do you use them yourself when playing? Sometimes, if I'm doing something long winded or complex.
b. If so, do you frequent forums or fan-made instructional sites more often? I would say so, yes.
c. Are instructions on fan-made sites or on forums more helpful/accurate? Generally speaking, yes, I like to think so.

7. Do you prefer instructions written by the company or instructions? I assume you mean 'company or fans.' I like both equally, though, fans will often go above and beyond I find. Whether it is meaningful or beneficial just depends on the situation.

8. How important are written instructions to the overall gaming experience? Very important. Again, there should always be something to fall back on, just in case.

Vicious Carnivore

15,300 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Dressed Up 200
Takarashi

Thank you so much for answering! It really helps and I appreciate you taking the time to go through the questions. I'm sending you the gold trade now! blaugh

Lightbringer

JadeToniRitsa
Takarashi

I'm good thanks.

Invisible Hunter

11,775 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Invisibility 100
  • Friendly 100
1. This question is optional, but about how old are you?

Familiar enough.

Mostly Fantasy.

Preferably solo when questing, but I love doing instances/raids.

Don't play any MMOs currently, but I used to play at least 5-6 hours a day.

I suppose written instructions are a helpful tool for those who would like something to go to. I prefer them just because I dislike in-game tutorials in MMOs. I like to figure things out on my own and hate pop ups every second telling me what to do.

Yes.

I think if people need the help, they should read instructions before asking others. As for helping someone unfamiliar with the game, I would hope so since they are instructions.

The instructions with visuals are easier to read in my opinion just because you have visuals to go with the instructions versus just having text. (Assuming the pictures are in-game pictures).

They can be reliable. Not always accurate, but for the most part they are.

Sometimes.

Not really. I would just glance every now and then if needed.

In my opinion, yes. Fans of the game will go more in-depth as far as their instructions go. If you were to go on the website of a company and view their instructions for an MMO, they give you brief, basic details that get you started. They don't always give you everything.

Not really. Like I said before, they don't usually go into as much detail as a fan-made instructions.

Overall, I would say they are very important. Not everyone is going to want instructions, but a majority probably do; so having them for players to look at if needed is always a good thing.

Vicious Carnivore

15,300 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Dressed Up 200
XBalmung

Invisible Hunter

11,775 Points
  • Survivor 150
  • Invisibility 100
  • Friendly 100
JadeToniRitsa
XBalmung

Don't worry about it. Thanks though.

Rainbow Unicorn

1. This question is optional, but about how old are you? (You don’t have to tell me exactly, just give me a rough estimate or rounded number. But again to reassure you, this information is all confidential.)

Quite, I'd say. I have played a few in my days with different experiences
Adventure Quest Worlds, Dota 2 at the moment.
All depends on what game and the tasks.
Every day unless I'm away.

Well, as long the in-game tutorial explains the basic(i.e controls, buttons for each actions and such) there is no need unless it's super long quest, then it might be an idea.
Yes, usually for quests.

If it's a well-known/huge, yes then they should.

Not really. I just want step-by step fort i.e the quests, nothing more.
Because I don't feel pictures as helpful if it's for a quest, I want it clear in text so I know exactly

So-so. Sometimes they go too far outside the purpose rather than explaining.
Sometimes.
Kind of, yes.
All depends on who wrote them and the layout as whole.

Depends on how they are written for the purpose.

Pretty important, I'd be lost without some of them.

Vicious Carnivore

15,300 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
  • Dressed Up 200
Junnypug

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff