Welcome to Gaia! ::

Garbage Cat

I expected to get some wicked vertigo from 3D gaming, or headaches or eyestrain, but these are complaints any gamer could have if they don't limit their console time. (I actually DO get vertigo from playing cell-shaded games. Derp.)

Have you played any 3D games? Are they worth the cost? Does 3D add anything to the game in a significant way (playability, immersion, etc).

I'm also iffy about developers leaning on the magic of 3D and forgetting things like soundtrack, story, the actual engine of play, but I don't want to discount 3D as an element just 'in case', you know? It's gimmicky, sure, but I like gimmicks. 8D

Lightbringer

I can't say I've ever played a 3D game, but I your last paragraph remains my main concern with it. If time is being spent developing into the gimmick then is some other aspect suffering as a result? Something that might have made a decent game into an awesome game? Unlikely, sure, but I always have that kind of paranoia.

Overall I just don't really like the concept. I don't feel like it would add anything of note to the game that isn't already there in some fashion.
I thought developers basically gave up 3D, already. The TVs aren't really catching on.

PrinceJello's Husband

Dedicated Genius

I suppose it depends on the game being played. For instance, Arkham City translates fairly well to 3D. That extra dimension does add a little something when gliding through AC. The fight sequences and cinematics also look fairly decent in 3D.

On the other hand, I've found that changing the setting to 3D in the Assassin's Creed games doesn't improve on the gameplay whatsoever. If anything, it mutes the colors a bit and it's sometimes difficult to focus. But that may just be me.

Definitely have experienced negative effects when playing in 3D mode, so now I take longer breaks during gameplay so as not to add to eye strain. :la

Demonic Rogue

1,650 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Battle: Rogue 100
Are we talking about Virtual Boy?

Garbage Cat

Takarashi
I can't say I've ever played a 3D game, but I your last paragraph remains my main concern with it. If time is being spent developing into the gimmick then is some other aspect suffering as a result? Something that might have made a decent game into an awesome game? Unlikely, sure, but I always have that kind of paranoia.

Overall I just don't really like the concept. I don't feel like it would add anything of note to the game that isn't already there in some fashion.

I had the same reserves about Pixar/Dreamworks computer animation, about story traded in for high-tech nerdery. But actually, it ended up forcing developers to pay *more* attention to story and character depth, because the process was so much more laborious than 2D animation.

But then again, Diablo II is a 2D game in the most literal sense -- pixel graphics and everything, and its success relied on voice acting, storytelling, and the simple engine that could be multiplayer'd via LAN. So uh. Hm.

Garbage Cat

Farber
I thought developers basically gave up 3D, already. The TVs aren't really catching on.

It's catching on in theaters, though (beyond IMAX, of course). And the 3DS is a hand-held.

Garbage Cat

ajsnoopy
I suppose it depends on the game being played. For instance, Arkham City translates fairly well to 3D. That extra dimension does add a little something when gliding through AC. The fight sequences and cinematics also look fairly decent in 3D.

On the other hand, I've found that changing the setting to 3D in the Assassin's Creed games doesn't improve on the gameplay whatsoever. If anything, it mutes the colors a bit and it's sometimes difficult to focus. But that may just be me.

Definitely have experienced negative effects when playing in 3D mode, so now I take longer breaks during gameplay so as not to add to eye strain. :la

That's a really good point! Some games that rely on cityscape or setting immersion (or even special effects, like some jrpgs/fighting games) I can see having a strong repurposing for 3D. Others, like games that rely on puzzle solving or POV switching might not fare so well. I can't help but think what it could do for games like VtM:Bloodlines, or other old underdeveloped yet undeniably rich PC engines.

Garbage Cat

THE DIABL0
Are we talking about Virtual Boy?

O>O EL DIABLO

We could talk about that, too, sure. Very Jetsons, very Marty McFly.

O.G. Elder

I see it as a fad. It neither improves or limits the game's played with it, although as one person mentioned already, it does play hell with colour palettes. 3D color replication needs a lot of work,

The real advancement from the 3D technology fad is augmented reality. The same technologies and concepts apply to both things. The 3DS already offers a limited amount of AR applications and games, and with things like Google Glass on the horizon, we could see a lot of gaming applications far beyond just making things pop a little on screen.

[Those familiar with the .Hack franchise might note that the World was played using a device very similar to the Glass with what's essentially a Bluetooth wireless game controller. What I'm saying is, I have high hopes.]

Invisible Genius

4,950 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Forum Regular 100
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
They belong to the Cosmos...
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
I'm a Thinker; I could break it down.
I'm a Shooter- trust me, baby.
As we jump out, feel it in the Will.
Will you come now, Peacefully with me?

Now, as all your thinking is Over...!
Out of space, where someone's Waiting there...
The sounds of Children, playing in the Fallout..!

Above the Pain!

Giygasm's King

Demonic Sweetheart

16,550 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Cool Cat 500
I've played 3D games before and it never gave me any headaches despite the fact that I'm very prone to them. Though in my experience the effects aren't strong enough for me even when I have it turned up to the max on the 3DS.

Dapper Loiterer

To be honest, the only reason why I got a 3DS was so I can play a few upcoming titles. I never actually use the 3D feature, since I have a difficult time making out the things on the screen clearly. Maybe it's just my eyes. But at most I'll have it on the lowest possible 3D setting for a nice layering touch. I'm playing HM: A New Beginning right now and the only REALLY noticeable "3D" aspect of the game is the separation between the dialog boxes/on-screen elements (clock, money, ect) and the game itself.

I have to admit though, I love how it's more of depth then actual in-your-face-3D. I went to Wreck-It Ralph in 3D a month ago and the depth-3D was a LOT more pleasant to look at then the "omg gonna shove my hand in your face" 3D.

I'm not really interested in the whole 3D stuff. I have to admit that the 3D feature on the 3DS is actually quite impressive, but it drains the shitty battery life even faster.

Girl-Crazy Grabber

Can't say as I have much experience with 3D games, but that which I have experienced have been pretty awesome. Pushmo, for example, looks amazing in 3D.

I wouldn't go out of my way to get a 3D game over a 2D game though.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff