Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dapper Codger

4,300 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
So, I'm halfway through A Dance With Dragons, and I'm thinking back on a Feast For Crows and wondering why I just disliked that book so much compared to all the other ones. When something hit me.

It was all Cersei Lannister's fault.

User Image

Now, before you chide me on my admitted childishness, allow me to explain why I hate Cersei Lannister with the heat of a thousand suns going into Supernova.

In my opinion, her POV chapters felt like they took up about 85% of the book, and the worst part is, she doesn't get any character development. If anything, what little development she possibly got just made her a character I despise more. Now people may say that Petyr Baelish does almost the same things as Cersei and they're still angry after his "I told you not to trust me" moment. But there's two major differences between Cersei and Petyr... The first is Petyr absolutely embraces his reputation as a manipulative b*****d and ends up becoming a magnificent b*****d. The second is... PETYR IS ACTUALLY INTELLIGENT.

I mean, characters in the series get duped and outwitted several times in the books, sometimes even leading to their deaths; yet Cersei isn't just someone who gets duped, but someone who makes such brazenly stupid mistakes that even people who aren't masters at Political Intrigue will end up saying "NO! Don't do that! You're screwing yourself over! Why?! WHY?!"

If anyone hasn't read a Feast For Crows, allow me to summarize most of the stupid decisions Cersei Lannister make along with other idiotic choices or just plain annoying personality traits, all the while gloating that she's "The Next Tywin Lannister".

1.) She dismisses any advisor with any form of experience at all because they are either: A) Too old for her liking, or B) They have any relation in even the slightest way to the Tyrells. In the end, she replaces them with people under qualified and only won their position through looks or kissing up to Cersei. The worst part about it is that she takes a KNOWN Tyrell steward as an informer and ally with almost no reason at all and kills her previous maid on just that woman's word. The worst part is that even JAIME, who doesn't have any time for manipulation or politics, says that it's an obviously bad idea. Cersei chose to trust the woman all because she liked her personality.

2.) She purposely and almost senselessly hates the Tyrells. She refuses to work with them even though they are pretty much the only thing holding her on the throne. Not only does she hate them, but she deliberately tries to sabotage them and anger them for seemingly no reason at all.

3.) She not only does nothing to fix Joffrey's increasingly mad behavior, but she actually praises him for it. I can't tell you the amount of times I hear her say something along the lines of Joffery being "Just like a lion" or "A strong ruler who can't be manipulated or controlled". LADY! YOUR KID IS A SOCIOPATH! He is a MADMAN who shoots at his own people for sport and his solution to everything is "Show no mercy! KILL! KILL!" And you are a FAILURE of a mother if you just let that slide!

4.) EVERY. OTHER. LINE. IS ESSENTIALLY "I desperately wanted to slap her across the mouth." I can't even begin to describe how tiring it is to hear her think of a person as an "idiot" or say that she wants to slap them across the mouth whenever they say something sensible that she doesn't like.

5.) Finally, she thinks Sansa Stark. The young girl she held captive. The young girl who's (spoiler) father she murdered (end of spoilers) The young girl who's been beaten by Joffrey's Kingsguard and mentally tortured by Cersei and Joffrey should be grateful towards her. She honestly, actually, believes that any hatred Sansa has of Joffrey is completely unjustified and that she only hates Joffrey because she is an evil, callous little girl.

So, that's the end of my rant. What I want to ask my fellow Gaian's is this... Does anyone else here utterly despise Cersei with all their heart?

Aged Defender

User Image
"Come at me bro"

You should probably add "Spoilers" in the title... some people just don't know what they're reading until it's too late xD

Dapper Codger

4,300 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
Waklex
User Image
"Come at me bro"

You should probably add "Spoilers" in the title... some people just don't know what they're reading until it's too late xD

Well there aren't really any spoilers that I see, I'm just describing what Cersei's chapters are like, I'm not saying who dies (Well, I do mention one unimportant, forgettable character DOES die) and I'm not revealing any major plots or twists.

Also the thread title is too long for me to add "Spoilers" to it.

Aged Defender

Symorin
Well there aren't really any spoilers that I see, I'm just describing what Cersei's chapters are like, I'm not saying who dies (Well, I do mention one unimportant, forgettable character DOES die) and I'm not revealing any major plots or twists.

User Image
"Come at me bro"

Ah well now that I'm sure of that, since I just started a Feast for Crows and didn't want to read... it's all good then :3

Dapper Codger

4,300 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
Waklex
Symorin

User Image
"Come at me bro"

Ah well now that I'm sure of that, since I just started a Feast for Crows and didn't want to read... it's all good then :3

Go ahead and read. Although what constitutes a "Spoiler" is really up to personal opinion.

Some people may think (Possible Spoilers) That Cersei turning out to be an incompetent, selfish, prideful, annoying bimbo rather then the "Cunning Chestmaster" she was portrayed as in the first book may be spoiler enough. (End of Possible "Spoilers" wink

Personally, once you're done with a Feast For Crows, I think it's almost a guarantee that you will HATE Cersei Lannister.

Aged Defender

Symorin
Go ahead and read. Although what constitutes a "Spoiler" is really up to personal opinion.

Some people may think (Possible Spoilers) That Cersei turning out to be an incompetent, selfish, prideful, annoying bimbo rather then the "Cunning Chestmaster" she was portrayed as in the first book may be spoiler enough. (End of Possible "Spoilers" wink

Personally, once you're done with a Feast For Crows, I think it's almost a guarantee that you will HATE Cersei Lannister.
User Image
"Come at me bro"

Hahaha oh it's happening already, and I'm only in for about 80 pages or so haha. I also think her little breakdown is funny, seening an enemy in everything and everyone lol
She's f*cking despicable!

Familiar Fatcat

/raises hand

I hate Cersei.

But god dammit, does the writer ever make some good points to hate her on. lol
I hate cersi. I found myself cheering on Jamie when he told her to get lost.
I hate Cathryn stark too. Ugh she too is queen of bad choices.
Hipster Status
/raises hand

I hate Cersei.

The only redeeming quality she has is that she loves her children....but that being sad she is a horrible mother.

IRL Cat

25,115 Points
  • Pie Hoarder by Proxy 150
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
Like Littlefinger says at some point, she thinks she's a player in the game of thrones, but she's actually just another piece to be manipulated. She's a tool. I can't say I'm not looking forward to her getting her just desserts for screwing up the country more than it already was.

Sparkly Lunatic

9,800 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Megathread 100
Foxie Loxie
Hipster Status
/raises hand

I hate Cersei.

The only redeeming quality she has is that she loves her children....but that being sad she is a horrible mother.

Yeah, she loves some of her children...
Never read the book what's the age group generally because I like fantasy or adventure tell me what its about redface redface redface xd

Benevolent Phantom

17,750 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Person of Interest 200
i haven't gotten to feast for crows yet. i am on clash of kings. I already hate Cersei though. i will edit this with more opinion in white...

(spoilers ahead)

i really just cannot stand that they killed eddard; let that illyr keep his sword, and the mistreatment of sansa. oh yeah. i guess armored men should feel pumped after beating up a little girl. :/ big whoop... i mean. why shouldn't sansa hate them for all the misery they inject into her life.

and i also have to agree about caitlyn. i mean, on some level, i can relate as a mother.. but... some stuff she does seems rather hypocritical... ok don't do this or that.. unless it's convenient for her. then it's ok. :/

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff