Welcome to Gaia! ::

8,950 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Brandisher 100
Curious to see what others' opinions are on it.

I won't state my opinion to make this more open to others.

Ferocious Browser

books are always better.

the author describes the scene, which invariably points out little things that you wouldnt otherwise notice if they were just there on set looking normal.

the author can also add in peoples inner thoughts and motivations, that is hard to do on tv without some cheesy as ******** voiceover.

details about the people and their clothes and their food also get pointed out. without randomly zooming in with a camera, that doesnt translate well to tv. costumes are cool, but that is it, there are no details that pop.

8,950 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Brandisher 100
Eveille
books are always better.

the author describes the scene, which invariably points out little things that you wouldnt otherwise notice if they were just there on set looking normal.

the author can also add in peoples inner thoughts and motivations, that is hard to do on tv without some cheesy as ******** voiceover.

details about the people and their clothes and their food also get pointed out. without randomly zooming in with a camera, that doesnt translate well to tv. costumes are cool, but that is it, there are no details that pop.

True, you make quite a few good points there and I must agree.

I also don't like how some scenes are portrayed in the show, how some details they choose to ignore even though they are simple and not really that hard to put in.

2,300 Points
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Gaian 50

Moonlight Fairy

12,000 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Streaker 200
  • Partygoer 500
I think with the first season the TV show and the Book were about equal. There wasn't much difference between the two. For this second season although still close to the books the TV show is deviating from the books and the books are better that the show. I think part of it is the show doesn't have some of the subtlety that the books have. The biggest situation that comes to mind is the relationship between Renly Baratheon and Loras Tyrell. Now I have only read the first two of the series and just started the third. But I think that the books will continue to be better than the show.
Love both...the king does not have to choose.
I l Iove reading and I enjoy the show, but reading the book helped me to understand the story plot. For example I had no idea Cersei and Jamie were sivlings the first time i watched the show so when i read the bookk i realized just how BAD the two of them were. I love the show, but reading the book definantly helps you to understand who ppl are and helps to understand the plot. But it does take a long time to read the books LOL

8,950 Points
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Brandisher 100
King Joffrey Baratheon
Love both...the king does not have to choose.

You, sir, have an epic win.

8,450 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
I hadn't read the books, though I wished did have books which might have been way better than watching the show. It is true, that books are always better than the movie cause like Hollywood, they end up making it loo really bad. Specially, if it's based from your long time favorite book. There are some based from books that they have badly ruined.

Anyway, back to the subject of game of thrones. Watching the series so far is good. I mean, it really a challenge in trying to keep the story and characters original as possible. Specially, switching to a different scene in the episode. To me, that's got to be a lot of hard work.
I know it was mentioned the second season of the TV series was going to deviate from the books. I don't remember where I read it, but I think it was Entertainment magazine. They wanted to keep some characters involved that are not highly portrayed in Clash of Kings. Jaime, for instance, does not have a big role in the 2nd book but he is more involved with the series (as far as I know I've just seen episode 1 of the 2nd season myself).

So far I do like how the series has been following the books. Of course a TV show or movie cannot go as indepth as an author can. The TV show and movie can bring to life the words on a page though (if done right). The casting was almost brilliant for the show (except for a couple of people, but they die off soon anyway).

The author can give us words to paint pictures in our heads, which inveriably came make us biased when it comes to putting those words into a movie or TV show (Rue from Hunger Games anyone?). So I always tell someone this is how I look at it. I go to a movie that's based on a book with an open mind, I do NOT associate the movie with the book. Disappoint will follow because Hollywood can't compare to the depth of a book.

Enduring Explorer

26,525 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Alien Invasion 50
I don't agree. There are too many differences - both are good, but I don't think the series can compare to the book

Angel Feline
I think with the first season the TV show and the Book were about equal. There wasn't much difference between the two. For this second season although still close to the books the TV show is deviating from the books and the books are better that the show. I think part of it is the show doesn't have some of the subtlety that the books have. The biggest situation that comes to mind is the relationship between Renly Baratheon and Loras Tyrell. Now I have only read the first two of the series and just started the third. But I think that the books will continue to be better than the show.

Enduring Explorer

26,525 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Jolly Roger 50
  • Alien Invasion 50
So much charcter development is left out of the series! I couldn't put them down - the books went pretty fast for me

yumi_sempai159
I l Iove reading and I enjoy the show, but reading the book helped me to understand the story plot. For example I had no idea Cersei and Jamie were sivlings the first time i watched the show so when i read the bookk i realized just how BAD the two of them were. I love the show, but reading the book definantly helps you to understand who ppl are and helps to understand the plot. But it does take a long time to read the books LOL

Rainbow Fairy

47,850 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
While the book is amazing, and by far the better of the two..... there are some really good parts in the series.... and I like some of the changes, in terms of the story being condensed into a limit space, they do a really good job in filling the gaps from the removed parts.

vako76 rolled 0 4-sided dice: Total: 0 (0-0)

cool biggrin
i think both of them are pretty awesome, but i must say that i like the book better. The book gives you more details about the story than the show does. It describes more scenery and more events in more detail than the show does. It gives more information about the characters, like their ages and ranks and what they look like.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff