Welcome to Gaia! ::

Enduring Hunter

I feel like the scene with The Mountain might have been their attempt at reintroducing his character since he's been recast three times by now.

Girl

Tuken
Pokemon Grey
I know that in the world of A Song and Ice and Fire, rape and violence are a reality, but the show doesn't need to blatantly state that fact over and over again.

Oh, thank God! It's good to know that it's set in Westeros, and not in the real world. If it was set in the world, there would be far less violence and sex! But thank goodness that it's set in a made up world, and that only bad things ever happen in fictional places. razz

Congratulations on misunderstanding what I've said entirely and making yourself look like a complete a** in the process. Way to go!
Pokemon Grey
Tuken
Pokemon Grey
I know that in the world of A Song and Ice and Fire, rape and violence are a reality, but the show doesn't need to blatantly state that fact over and over again.

Oh, thank God! It's good to know that it's set in Westeros, and not in the real world. If it was set in the world, there would be far less violence and sex! But thank goodness that it's set in a made up world, and that only bad things ever happen in fictional places. razz

Congratulations on misunderstanding what I've said entirely and making yourself look like a complete a** in the process. Way to go!

You may call it a misunderstanding, I call it a exaggeration.

The point being is, I believe that the book and TV series both show how things really are. There is violence, there is sex, there are liars, and there are those that let honor get the best to them. I do not, however, believe they overplay on these things like other series. Other series completely overkill on these ideas so much that even though it's set in the real world, it becomes so artificial and fake. (Movies like "The A Team," or "Fast and Furious," come to mind.) Game of Thrones incorporates these ideas very well, showing the greyness of humanity, meanwhile not just being a attempt to sell sex and violence to the pubic.

Gracious Prophet

10,350 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Ultimate Player 200
The Golden Boleyn
They completely took out the bit about the musician too in the Eyrie because that's whom they blame Lysa's death. The only two people in that room were Petyr and Sansa.
That rape scene between Jamie and Cersei was absolutely appalling too.
That whole thing with Xaro Xhoan Daxos wasn't even straight and Doreah died before they made it to Qarth as well as the dragons not being taken.

I agree. There were a lot of variables missed, between Meereen and Qarth, everything that's happened since the arrival at Qarth has been condensed..

The entire happenings at the Eyrie except for the courtyard incident where Sansa built the replica of Winterfell were completely construed from the book-- but we have to keep in mind in shows they always have to assume the books haven't been read by the general audience and, unfortunately, things like this get dumbed down all the time.

As for you, OP, I totally understand your perspective but we must appreciate that they made Tyrion ever the more funny and gave him more prominent lines in the first couple of seasons. It helped his character grow that much more and people still have a soft spot for the Imp. As for other sex scenes, some are necessary, some are abhorred, they're doing the show they way they are making the most profit. Some people really enjoy rape culture on television, unfortunately.

Loyal Wolf

11,850 Points
  • Winter Guardian 250
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Athlete 50
Pokemon Grey
Its been a year or more since I read any of the books, so all you recent readers please correct me if I'm wrong here but...

I feel like the show Game of Thrones has way too much unnecessary violence and sex, and definitely more of it than the book series. Its just something I've noticed during the most recent season. (spoilers below)

Examples: The whole plot with the Brothers at Craster's Keep that didn't even happen in the books. Was sexually harrassing Meera really a necessary bit in that?

In last weeks episode, there was a scene where The Mountain is shown just brutally killing people for no known reason. If that isn't mindless violence I don't know what is.

I'll answer your problems by breaking them down and trying my best to explain, by my thoughts why GoT is not what you expect it to be.

I feel that since the writers of the show cut out a lot of stories and characters from the previous books, they are trying to add in as much extra stories now that they are catching up with George.

As for sex, as far as I can recall, Emilia Clark refused the sex scene with Daros (wtf ever his name is....hate the mofo). I know it doesn't answer what you said about it, but GoT is known for being adult in the content. There are viewers who just watch for sex and violence sadly.

About the Mountain...well I'm assuming they did petty crimes and Cersi wanted him to 'practice' without killing useful people. I feel the show is trying to keep a level of violence, as well as nudity/sex, until the larger events occur.

George is good about not having a necessarily 'good guys' or 'bad guys'. That being said, the sexual violence committed to those in the show mirror the horror that is man but also that shows the writers trying to push 'villains' or more reasons to hate someone upon the viewers.

Hope I helped or did something

Girl

Tahpsfan

What I got out of what you said is that I guess I would be just as disappointed if they had under-done the sex/violence as well, because it wouldn't be true to the book either.

I really just wish there was less sex and violence on TV as a whole, because it leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I studied the effects of media on society in a class in college and I know how damaging it can be. I am particularly upset with the excessive violence towards women in the show.
I absolutely am outraged by the harassment scenes at Craster's Keep, though, since that whole arc didn't even happen in the books.

Sparkling Seeker

I think scenes like the Mountain killing random guys were meant to replace long descriptions in the book about what he did and how he did it (pillaging villages and so on). Would you rather have a one or two minute scene with fake blood and a roaring Mountain, or a twelve-minute scene of two characters discussing another character in the hopes the audience pays attention and remembers it?

They tried this a few times and nobody really listened - I can think of Ramsey Snow being Bolton's b*****d (had been mentioned before in the show but people cried spoiler), and Jeor Mormont being Jorah Mormont's father (mentioned briefly as well, but again, news to everyone).

I think show-watchers need the visuals to get the info. We knew Joffrey was a c**t in the books because there's plenty of description of his deeds and more dialogue, but in the show, we got scenes like the one with the crossbow. Was that really necessary? In my opinion, yes, to make the watchers really despise him.

I guess they could cut down on the sex and violence - I don't care either way - but I think everything they show is shown for a reason.

Baconalia's Partner

Tipsy Bro

We ladies deserve a little more man a**.

Girl

perlerose

Ugh, the crossbow scene was like pulling fingernails for me as well.
This mingling of sex and violence that they often do, and the fact that it was female prostitutes who were hurt doesn't tell a good narrative of reality for any audience.
If you don't like death by crossbow, or death of prostitutes, then you'll find the last episode this season particularly horrifying. xd

Dapper Fatcat

13,600 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • First step to fame 200
I think those extra bits that we don't see in the books can still be happening in that area at that time, but it's just not a POV, so we're not going to see them.
The bit with Meera was unnecessary, but there a few things that set up whats going to happen, so we remember characters and it allowed for the set up of future plots.

Girl

Tamki
If you don't like death by crossbow, or death of prostitutes, then you'll find the last episode this season particularly horrifying. xd

Really? This season already?
Pokemon Grey
Tamki

Yep! You'll be shitting yourself when it happens. (Which is also another hint too lol)

Girl

Tamki
Pokemon Grey
Tamki

Yep! You'll be shitting yourself when it happens. (Which is also another hint too lol)

Don't worry dear, I know exactly what you're talking about as I've read all 5 books wink
As for the whore, she totally deserves it. Sad to see the poor shitter go, though, but I think its also fitting.
the rape bothers me more than the mindless killing idk why
i don't mind sex in the show when it's consensual
unfortunately it seems usually to not be in GoT

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out