Welcome to Gaia! ::

OK, because I do not have cable TV, I need to know what the hell is a "Game of Thrones". Currently, it is showing on that cable TV channel in Australia called "Showcase" (and probably showing on HBO in Asia) on 8pm (if I can remember).

So, with due respect, what is this show about? Where is it set, and what is the back ground to the story in an amount? And where can I buy this show for those without cable TV?

(Oh, and spoilers should be kept hidden for the sake of those who will get objective)

Apocalyptic Girl

21,875 Points
  • Fantastic Fifteen 100
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Married 100
A Game of Thrones is based on a book series called A Song of Ice and Fire. To put it simply, it's about several kings and one woman that's vying for the throne and the struggles that come with it. Each one believes they have the right to rule and as with people, each one comes with their own set of beliefs. It is not just political though, there's families involved, romance, fantasy like dragons, dire wolves, giants, magic, undead and more. It's written brilliantly and beautifully, definitely not a children's book. Any character is subject to die at any given time because that is reality. This has some people upset because it is very easy to get attached to a character and there's a lot of characters. There's always a handful that any person will absolutely adore. It's inevitable. XD

The show is fairly accurate to the books. I'd say it's about 95% accurate which is outstanding when you think about it! I enjoy it thoroughly, both books and show and I think most people will too if they can get over the political and violent nature of it. I grew up to Xanth, Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms and I never thought I'd get into another fantasy series.

I'm glad I did. I love it!

5,500 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Flatterer 200
It's a really, really good show that's set in a sort-of medieval-ish world imbued with magic and sorcery. Basically it's a political drama and what many of the character's are fighting for is the Iron Throne, and with that, the control of all the Seven Kingdoms.

Well, that's the main story line as of now. I'm told that the main story line soon changes into something different in the last books, but since Game of Thrones still has to adapt A Storm of Swords, it would be a while until they catch up with that point.

Also, there's a lot of sex scenes -- as in a lot. Don't let that deter you, though. It's still a great show despite the nudity. But don't try to mute it while there's some of those scenes going on, motives for characters and all those important stuff are probably being discussed while they're having a go at it.

So basically that's just it. I've done my best to explain without trying to spoil you, and the poster above has done a much better job of it than I. I will join her in warning you, though: never get attached to characters.No, seriously. Don't. I'm not going to tell you who specifically dies, but there is a very high chance that your favorite, whoever it will be, will die.

---------------------------------
I am of House Greyjoy.
We Do Not Sow.
ქἆῆᾇ ἿЛїՖ𐑿

Benevolent Phantom

17,750 Points
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cool Cat 500
  • Person of Interest 200
So far... I'd have to compare it to... if you mixed one part Lord of the Rings with one part LOST... and maybe a touch of something else?

I highly recommend the books. :3 I think seeing the tv show will just help to flesh it out with visuals of how each character would look. I haven't seen the tv series yet; but i want to so much... and mostly for that reason.
Graceangel
So far... I'd have to compare it to... if you mixed one part Lord of the Rings with one part LOST... and maybe a touch of something else?

I highly recommend the books. :3 I think seeing the tv show will just help to flesh it out with visuals of how each character would look. I haven't seen the tv series yet; but i want to so much... and mostly for that reason.

Yes, I feel no guilt in comparing it somewhat to Lord of the Rings... I would even go as far as to say it rivals it! Yes, much like and yet totally different.
I think the box set of the first series is out for sale now.
You will not regret it.
Google is your friend.

But currently I am the main bad guy of the show.
Meeki
A Game of Thrones is based on a book series called A Song of Ice and Fire. To put it simply, it's about several kings and one woman that's vying for the throne and the struggles that come with it. Each one believes they have the right to rule and as with people, each one comes with their own set of beliefs. It is not just political though, there's families involved, romance, fantasy like dragons, dire wolves, giants, magic, undead and more. It's written brilliantly and beautifully, definitely not a children's book.

Something that my father would like. But it sounds like Battle Royale mixed with The Lord of the Rings, so maybe I'll find the book by any chance. Unfortunately, I don't have cable TV so I am unable to watch that show.

And besides, not everyone in Australia owns cable TV, so they'll just buy the DVD or download it online!
King Joffrey Baratheon
Google is your friend.

But currently I am the main bad guy of the show.

You just made my day.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces