Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anxious Human

AkikoRye
I believe that George Martin actually said at one point that he wished he had written the characters older. As he helps with the TV series, he didn't mind that they cast older- 1) because of the nudity and 2) because in retrospect, it is what the author wished he did.

In fact, he wanted book 4 to be a 5 year time jump to give the characters time to grow up, but realized he was writing too much past tense that he abandoned that idea.
The ages make sense, though, for the time period. Even though it's a made up world, in that time period, girls were wed in their early teens and boys started training to become knights when they were kids. So I really don't blame him for writing the characters so young.
Bellyaches Method
AkikoRye
I believe that George Martin actually said at one point that he wished he had written the characters older. As he helps with the TV series, he didn't mind that they cast older- 1) because of the nudity and 2) because in retrospect, it is what the author wished he did.

In fact, he wanted book 4 to be a 5 year time jump to give the characters time to grow up, but realized he was writing too much past tense that he abandoned that idea.
The ages make sense, though, for the time period. Even though it's a made up world, in that time period, girls were wed in their early teens and boys started training to become knights when they were kids. So I really don't blame him for writing the characters so young.

it keeps you interested in the book and in the series. Im only in the first book, and i am already obsessed with the series and the characters.I Love Dany and Drogo.

Gracious Fatcat

6,250 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Person of Interest 200
Just think of the TV series as a slightly different universe from the book. The show stays true to the book for the 1st season but it is condensing the story for the second season. Mr. Martin better finish the sixth book before the show reaches that point.

Invisible Millionaire

Tenshi-Eclipse
Just think of the TV series as a slightly different universe from the book. The show stays true to the book for the 1st season but it is condensing the story for the second season. Mr. Martin better finish the sixth book before the show reaches that point.

I agree so much! They stayed true to the book almost exactly in season one, but for season two they've been condensing storylines and leaving out characters. I thought since they were making so much money they'd take it slow so it'd last more seasons!

As for finishing the book before the tv show gets there- I just hope he finishes the series before he dies! He's so old!

Witty Rabbit

19,525 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
Well.. They do age in the books though...
so after a few books they are a "little older"

It kinda makes more sense why they call Robb "Young Wolf"

Witty Rabbit

19,525 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Bunny Hunter 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
AkikoRye
Tenshi-Eclipse

I agree so much! They stayed true to the book almost exactly in season one, but for season two they've been condensing storylines and leaving out characters. I thought since they were making so much money they'd take it slow so it'd last more seasons!

As for finishing the book before the tv show gets there- I just hope he finishes the series before he dies! He's so old!

well... many of the things that are left out out aren't vital to the story and would make it more confusing to watch

Lupine Wolf

9,550 Points
  • The Wolf Within 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Lapin Patrol Avior: Victory! 50
Margery's actress being 30 is a little weird considering she's supposed to be what... 15?, but she only looks about 20 to me. But you guys... lol. I feel old. Honestly, in a few years most of you will realize how young 30 is.

I'm 22 and people 30 don't seem much older than me anymore. A lot of people look really good at 30 and can pass for 20, especially these days with all the easily accessible beauty products and information like tanning and smoking = bad and whatnot. surprised 30 is the new 20!

Especially celebrities, they can get surgery. >:/

But anyway. Yeah, the books kinda gave me a creepy feeling to read the parts with Dany especially... And Khal Drogo... especially their first night together.. burning_eyes I felt pervy even reading it.

I am really glad they aged them up. And Emilia Clarke is the perfect actress. She is so bloody gorgeous in an almost flawless way. I always pictured Dany to have a kind of exotic look, despite the blond/silver hair. I didn't picture a typical blond/blue eyed girl for her, but almost a more Asian/mulatto featured girl.. so Emilia is perfect! Even though I think she says she is just caucasian? o.o I think she must be Italian or something at least.. Greek maybe...? Jewish?? I dunno, something not "typical white person" lol.

Festive Witch

24,850 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Survivor 150
  • Heckler 50
Foxie Loxie
Eveille
Foxie Loxie
Eveille
Foxie Loxie
They had to age the characters due to the content of the story. I am perfectly fine with them aging the cast. They aged the adults in the story too. In example Ned is supposed to be 35 (if I remember correctly its been a while since I read the first book) and Sean Bean is almost 50.

They never come out and say how old Margery is but the actress they have playing her is 30....she is supposed to be married to Tommen later on...he's the same age at Bran. Creepy.

Margaery is 14-15. Loras is 17.
Well in the show there is no way she is 15. I still find it creepy. 30 marrying 10

Well that was in the book, so I think they are trying to pass her as 18?

Still pretty bad, but not quite so much. They marry, but they never do anything because he is so young, even in the books the people at court agree it is a bit young.

Sansa married Tyrion, only reason it wasn't consumated is because he was nice about it
@_@. Young girl - older man is a pretty accurate sort of stereotype for those sorts of societies though.

It is accurate that they would marry young in olden times (mostly because everyone died much younger). I know that they never do anything because of the age difference... I have nothing against marrying someone older (my husband is 8 years older than me) But its when you get married when you are 10....in the book at least the age difference wasn't so pronounced...

In the Books there's a Lannister who marries a baby girl so they can have her lands so yeah... to be fair it's clear he's not happy about it

5,600 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Market Browser 100
  • Wall Street 200
Eladore
Up until recently there was a way to marry young people, most used among noble families
I'm not sure how it's called in english, in portuguese is "casar por palavras de futuro" somenthing like to marry by words of future in which the marring couple, or someone in their name, vowed to wed when they come of age.
The age of consent was the same to males and females, around 12, but normally men would marry a little later to get experienced on life and such but women would marry very young so that they could have as many children as possible

We call that a betrothal in English.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces