Welcome to Gaia! ::

Would you search for friends on Gaia by their real name?

Yes, and I would enter my real name so others can find me. 0.2327981903235 23.3% [ 10600 ]
Yes, but I would not enter my real name (I would just search for others). 0.16570399490479 16.6% [ 7545 ]
No, I would not search for friends by real name, but I would enter my real name if they want to find me 0.044868556870841 4.5% [ 2043 ]
No, I would not search for friends by real name, nor would I want people to find me by real name! 0.42009092306679 42.0% [ 19128 ]
OOOHHH EEEEEE AHHHHH 0.13653833483408 13.7% [ 6217 ]
Total Votes:[ 45533 ]
<< < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 188 189 190 > >> >>> »|

Since people already put their real life pictures in their profiles, I don't see what the problem is with searching for their actual names.
My god, no. I would never enter my real name. It's just not what Gaia is about. Gaia is about being able to assume a different identity. Many people roleplay, or take on a slightly different personality here. I know that is the case for me. I don't think we should be encouraging the young people on this site to give out their personal information. There's too much chance for abuse by stalkers, *****, etc. Granted that's the worst case scenario, but I still feel very strongly against this idea.

Eloquent Mage

17,100 Points
  • Wintersday Bard 50
  • Frozen Sleuth 100
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
I'm a bit of a divided decisions about it, I would want to find my friends, but at the same time, sometimes you don't want certain friends finding you

Winter Shapeshifter

20,300 Points
  • Team Peyo 25
  • Invisibility 100
no i wouldn't-- those who know me irl are enough--- i don't need complete strangers that i hardly talk to knowing my name ><

Tipsy Gawker

Dapper Lunatic

14,375 Points
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Survivor 150
no real names attal. who would want that? then its even worse if someone hacks you or if there are stalkers around. and the thing about common names is true too. real names on a big site like this is kinda pointless
It's a good idea, and would make things easy.
I would only want to put my first name.
My guild is chocolate chip cookies I would love for more people to join.
Did ANYONE read the first post (by the opinion primate)? It says "Assuming there would be a privacy setting in case you don't want to be found". I think this is a good idea. It would make it much easier to find your friends. If they (or you) don't want to be found, then you don't have to be. You could also just not put in your real name.

Hart Prince's Husbando

no way. im pretty sure most people don't really wanna put there real names, and that lots of people would end up putting alibi's anyway.

Invisible Prophet

7,500 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Junior 100
  • Mark Twain 100
OOHHHHHH EEEEEE AA--

...Graaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwghhhh..

5,400 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Member 100
lol my words exactly the
black_cloud14
User Image

Death has never been
so beautiful...

First vote, hopefully first post.

N. O.

It's the internet, not the yellow pages.
LetheDream
My god, no. I would never enter my real name. It's just not what Gaia is about. Gaia is about being able to assume a different identity. Many people roleplay, or take on a slightly different personality here. I know that is the case for me. I don't think we should be encouraging the young people on this site to give out their personal information. There's too much chance for abuse by stalkers, *****, etc. Granted that's the worst case scenario, but I still feel very strongly against this idea.

DITTO. I hope they dont add this because it is just a stupid idea. I mean I'm older and I would hate to see gaia being on the news because kids were giving out their info on gaia and were taken and raped or something and then parents wouldnt allow their kids to be on gaia...and it would just suck and I dont want to hear about it
No, the internet is too dangerous a place these days with i.d. theft and other cases. Stuff like that is what myspace and such are for; and I'm proud to say I am one of the few teens that don't have a myspace. 3nodding If they want their friend to find them they could simply tell the person their username, as simple as that. Besides, that's a perfect way for people to stalk one another.
I would not search for friends by their real names nor would I give mine. This just seems like a huge security risk to me and ultimately gaia could get in trouble if that happened. If you know someone from real life, just ask for their username, if it isn't someone you know in real life...how do you know their name? No matter what, their will always be a security risk. Even privacy settings don't always work.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff