Welcome to Gaia! ::

<3 </3

Should the site be centered

yes 0.09838977030547 9.8% [ 831 ]
yes - but give us an option to turn it off 0.31245560028416 31.2% [ 2639 ]
yes - but limit it to certain sections of the site 0.021548662088563 2.2% [ 182 ]
yes - but let us choose from several backgrounds 0.45595548188492 45.6% [ 3851 ]
no 0.11165048543689 11.2% [ 943 ]
Total Votes:[ 8446 ]

Devoted Ladykiller

I like the neatness of it all, I use Chrome and experienced no transparency but it did cause a whole load of lag which made me angry as I like to use the forums a lot but have to wait about a minute for the pages to load, other than the lag I like it.

O.G. Prophet

Pinemoa
I like the neatness of it all, I use Chrome and experienced no transparency but it did cause a whole load of lag which made me angry as I like to use the forums a lot but have to wait about a minute for the pages to load, other than the lag I like it.
i use firefox nightly and experience no lag, i'm not saying this as one browser is better than the other, just that i don't think simply centering the site should cause any noticeable lag, as it's just a style format change.

on the other hand the new Daily chance doesn't "pop up" for me, its a separate page. i haven't turned off centering to see if that's what's causing it, or any other trouble shooting yet

O.G. Prophet

i'd also like to say, as a designer of sorts, that centering the site shouldn't be limited to certain areas of the site, because having the layout be inconsistent is a huge taboo. to that effect when i'm in my gaia and hover over the drop down menus the ad disappears and everything shifts while i'm hovering over it, which is odd.

at the same time i don't feel it should be optional, as it CURRENTLY IS, if it remains "optional" you split gaia's site into two different versions, written for centered and not, and with no official layout it'll be a hassle keeping both versions the same quality and appeal. as it is now optional, we can see how little support it has, and how incompatible the centering is with the current site. because normal no centered layout is what is being supported.

i think that if we have a centered gaia it should be default, maybe you could change back to the non centered but it wouldn't be supported like how the profiles v1 is still available.

Lastly i think that the centering shouldn't be exactly like it is now in this version, i think gaia is due for a site design overhaul, so maybe make the site centered and widen the actual area gaia uses, which would be more appealing and give more space to work with, as well as address alot of complaints about the forums posts being squished and what-not.

personally as a programmer i wouldn't mind helping out it something like this happened, i can't really afford to donate to gaia anymore, (i stopped 10$ monthly donations after my fifth year.)

TL;DR Gaia needs a site overhaul to take advantage of the modern day browsers and resolutions.

If someone important actually sees this, I'd be willing to make/help a gaia lab (or this lab?) or something and write up a few different ways gaia could be reformatted or styled, while still being gaia.
I've been on gaia for 3186 days as of today, and i was online for almost all of them, and I don't think Gaia is about maintaining and bug fixing, it's about new and improved and better.

I think Gaia needs to take risks again, like when they worked on zOMG.

this kind of turned into a bit more than may have been appropriate for a response to this thread, but I just wanted to get my words out.

O.G. Prophet

i made a post in the site feedback forums and all i got was hate. so ignore me i guess.
edit: more people like it now.

Saxy Coder

I don't really mind the centered site, and I even turn it on sometimes, but I miss the layout of the links at the bottom of each page (About Us | Terms of Service | PRIVACY NOTICE | Rules & Guidelines | Safety Tips ...)

The new layout has them all stacked up in two columns and this make is a bit harder to find a link quickly. Is there any way to space them out and make maybe like 5 columns at the bottom with only about 5-6 links per column? Also, is it possible to center these links? (keeping with the whole "Centered Site theme" )

Witty Genius

6,900 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Conversationalist 100
lookin good, Gaia!

Shy Stalker

When are the bugs in this going to be fixed, and this feature made standard?

I understand there are others who do not use widescreen (and centered site does look horrible for them), but there are a number of sites out there with a centered style that looks right with both. So it makes no sense to me why Gaia, being a commercial site and needing to reach as wide a user base as possible, would not offer the same.

O.G. Prophet

Nymshi
When are the bugs in this going to be fixed, and this feature made standard?

I understand there are others who do not use widescreen (and centered site does look horrible for them), but there are a number of sites out there with a centered style that looks right with both. So it makes no sense to me why Gaia, being a commercial site and needing to reach as wide a user base as possible, would not offer the same.
look at the time of the last update. it was 2 years ago almost 3 years ago.

Anxious Elder

8,600 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
While I like the centred version of the site better than the original layout, It still feels rather restricted to me.

As a bug: When you zoom out, the text formatting and posting icons in the reply page runs away.
I like it a lot better biggrin

Greedy Fatcat

6,600 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
  • Object of Affection 150
The center option is easier on the eyes. It should be optional for those who like it to the right.

Desirable Explorer

6,950 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Hygienic 200
I like the centered site it feels more natural

Beloved Dabbler

6,550 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Team Edward 100
  • Friendly 100

KuroKageHane's Queen

Sparkling Star

Update with more background choices please!
Oh, this is SO much better
I will say that the left side of the screen has more margin-space than the right side, so it's a tad off-center for me, but holy crap this is so much better!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff