Welcome to Gaia! ::

<3 </3

Should the site be centered

yes 0.09838977030547 9.8% [ 831 ]
yes - but give us an option to turn it off 0.31245560028416 31.2% [ 2639 ]
yes - but limit it to certain sections of the site 0.021548662088563 2.2% [ 182 ]
yes - but let us choose from several backgrounds 0.45595548188492 45.6% [ 3851 ]
no 0.11165048543689 11.2% [ 943 ]
Total Votes:[ 8446 ]
<< < 1 2 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... 174 175 176 > >> >>> »|

I love the centering, well besides the whole blue problem.
I'm guessing because it's new.
(:

Moonlight Gaian

9,400 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Window Shopper 100
As mentioned, the transparency is distracting, but if it was fixed up, I would love to have the center feature.
I would be in favor of this feature, just without the blueness surrounding all of the posts (it's transparent everywhere; the posts are surrounded by white boxes).

5,550 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Consumer 100
I don't like it.

Generous Bloodsucker

9,350 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Survivor 150
I like the idea and look of it a lot~
Though I think it'd just be better to have it as an option setting instead of have it affect every user whether they like it or not.
Love having Gaia centered, don't like the background so much. If that were optional, I'd be all for it! : D EDIT: re-read the first post, and it said the background was temporary, so I'm completely down with the idea! I don't think there should be too much of a background though at all, because it's rather distracting.
I love the center but I think it's a bit odd how the forum posts have these white frames around them but other than that, I like it.

8,700 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Beta Treasure Hunter 0
  • Invisibility 100
    I'm encountering quite a few errors concerning the white background. While centering improves some areas of the site, it makes others feel so... I don't know, sterile? Formal? Even though I know many will really appreciate this update, I could certainly do without it and would appreciate it if users could pick whether they want to activate it or not.
Personally, I'm not fond of the centering, it just looks too....Off-center, lol. But, I do agree with the people who say we should be able to turn it on and off, would be nice to be able to pick, say if for some reason, one day we felt like having it centered, five minutes later, not.

Dapper Gekko

7,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Timid 100
It may be the size of my monitor(Wide screen 15 1/2" ) but there are light blue bars at the left and right edges of the page that are about 1 3/4" wide that are... disconcerting. And, of course, there are the transparency issues. Also, it looks nicer that the speech bubbles in the forums widen out to the edge of the pages, but that's just me.

I use Firefox 3.5.7, and my resolution is 1280x800.

Demonic Abomination

40,775 Points
  • Winged 100
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Battle: Level 10 250
I like the idea of it but the background needs work and I dont like the transparent thread.

dothwk's Waifu

Original Poster

7,250 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Signature Look 250
User Image

User Image I love the idea of having the OPTION to center the site! A fabulous idea indeed. my only issue is "transparency" in posts, I understand that a post style (normal "say" and "shout" is what I'm looking at) has like, a "white background" instead of a transparent one, so the big white boxes of text are kind of an eye sore.

The speech bubbles having a white background is fine, 110% fine, but the blocky/sharp white surrounding them is not as cool....

I greatly enjoy the bottom-post background, and maybe as time goes on it can change due to the season, birthday, or pick your own like a personalized Gaia! But that's REALLY thinking hard.

It might also be that I have a 1480x800 resolution screen that makes it so nice~
Just throwing my opinion out there!

I love the centered look, but the transparency is killing me. It's tough being flooded by bright blue in the forums. Kind of blinding, actually. The site should remain white on white, where there is activity. (i.e. A white background behind all posts as a whole, but the blue on the sides where you're not actually trying to hone in on the text.)

I also love the little garden design at the bottom. Puuurdy. Maybe someday we can have different designs/background themes? O:

I think this is a good idea so far. I'll post back if anything else temporarily renders my vision powerless. (:

I use Google Chrome.

EDIT: I would like it if my signature was in the white, too. Then it would look more like a part of my post, and not like it's fading into the neon blue abyss.

Rainbow Fairy

13,650 Points
  • Threadmaster 200
  • Firestarter 200
  • Partygoer 500
looks good but maybe there could be a choice of what we want it to be?
other than that its real pretty heart

Codger

All we monsters think we are divinely born,
User Image

No kidding on the visual bugs. sweatdrop This is an interesting feature, and I love having an actual background background. There's obviously the problem of the speech bubbles looking quite awkward, since they're white areas in a sea of blue, and the footer links are all but invisible, which could be fixed by putting them in their own box so they're visible, which would save the trouble of coloring them differently if a selection of backgrounds are provided if this feature gets implemented.

Now, while I think centering the site is a grand idea, I think it would be more efficient simply to go with a variable width (since right now the site has a fixed width of 970), while also providing the option to choose a background. This would save the visual oddity of having lots of open, unused space to either side when using widescreen monitors. The header background might be a little more difficult to implement, yes, but I think overall that would be a minor problem, since it so rarely changes in general outside of the stock four that we have now (Barton, Aekea, Durem, and Gambino). Possible solution would be to make a panoramic header background so it can tile horizontally without issue, allowing it to adjust smoothly regardless of user side screen resolution.

User Image
our fingers pointed to heaven we direct our scorn.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff