Welcome to Gaia! ::

Dangerous Hunter

15,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Elocutionist 200
I find it a useless trinket.

If I want to check if a tank is glowing, I simply page through and LOOK AT THE TANK.

If it has the 'BOOTY GRAB' header over it, and the fish in it are moving around in a frenzy and GLOWING...well, how obvious does it have to be that the TANK IS GLOWING?!

Yeesh. The button is a redundancy feature, and worse yet, not as visible at the glowing tank.

Spicy Witch

36,075 Points
  • The Edgiest 250
  • The Sweetest 250
  • Ghost Hunter 250
I think the button is a useless feature!
I will never use use it.
I could care less. rolleyes
It isn't Rocket Science to find a glowing tank to play.
I have a fast computer, the fastest internet I can get in my area..... so I could care less.
No big whoop for me!
Reve Casse
I think the button is a useless feature!
I will never use use it.
I could care less. rolleyes
It isn't Rocket Science to find a glowing tank to play.
I have a fast computer, the fastest internet I can get in my area..... so I could care less.
No big whoop for me!
I just played this tank (directly above this post). No glow button was visible but the owner had a timer in her signature that said the tank would glow in 5 sec.

Edit: After I posted this comment the button appeared. Had the button been the ONLY indicator I would have missed this play. As an owner I don't like that! Perhaps the timer can be incorporated into the button so the 1 minute warning, amount of time glowing and number of players would be clearly evident.

Edit #2: So now that same game is clearly over, the page refreshed when I posted the 1st edit, 15 min has passed, and the button still says glowing.
THe booty grab feature is great
Panagrammic
If we were trying to kill BG, we wouldn't roll out features that would potentially increase usage (i.e., the low-lag glow indicator).

We wanted to see the earnings and play patterns of tanks after the immortals were removed in order to do play balancing. The community has been pretty clear that modifying fish after being sold is something greatly not desired; as a result, we are taking a more cautious approach.

The REAL purpose of the low lag glow indicator, in my opinion, is to force people to play tanks without knowing what's in them. If the button is implemented accross the board and tanks are removed from signatures, timers and analyzers disabled, it will be absolutely impossible for anyone, including tank owners, to realistically anticipate a glow. Take the following example from above.

I was reading the feedback thread on the new glow buttons and came accross a tank that had a working timer/analyzer in the signature stating the tank would glow in 5 seconds. There was no glow button above her post. I played the tank because it began to glow as I read the post. The glow button did not appear until I wrote a response and the page refreshed. So I edited my post to voice my displeasure with that fact and believe it or not, 10 min after the glow had finished the glow button still indicated the tank was glowing. Say you are an owner and this was your tank. You just checked it. How were you supposed to know it would glow 5 sec later? When are you going to check it again?
I think the community needs to be pretty clear that this is unacceptable!

I am one of the people with a lagging computer and I have not seen an improvement in loading times or tank playability. As a matter of fact, I didn't have a fraction of the lag I have now before all these experiments began. Please understand I am not saying this to criticize attempts to improve the situation. I just need to say it's worse for me now than it has ever been. It would be extremely hard to believe that other players aren't also experiencing these same issues.

Astral Cat

30,225 Points
  • The Plague of Kokeshi 100
  • Launch Party 100
  • The Bane of Kokeshi 50
Clicking the Button is doing NOTHING even on Tanks on this thread that are Glowing sad I was hpeing it would work like the Buttons people have made and then I wouldn't have to deal with " Pop Ups are blocked on this site. Do you want to allow them?"

The Glowing Buttons on this thread

Merina Lopez = 1st page. She is actually glowing.. clicking button does nothing.

Robert Lynch = 1st page. They are not actually glowing.

I want to make this clear to help staff out. When I click through the pages, the Glowing button appears and disappears randomly. So I could sit here and click through again and list new people with Glowing Button.

I tried again and Robert is still Glowing Button on page 1 but noone else is. I can keep clicking through this thread though and post the next time things change. I would like to note that Merina had a Glowing Button but their tank WAS NOT Glowing when I first came to this thread, but then it began Glowing when I Clicked through to list who was glowing. However a couple other people had Glowing Buttons on and off when I clicked through and their Tanks never went Glowing.

Dangerous Hunter

15,300 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Elocutionist 200
I too have an old laggy compy, and I've found the site to be nothing but FURTHER LAGGING with the advent of all the experimentation and button-adding, yadd-yadda.

I tried using the 'glow button' a few times, and found the same problem as you had, Integer. Pretty worthless, imo. And with past Gaia's track record of dubious behavior in regards to BG/tanks/pushing through crap on-the-sly...rather suspect.

integer01853
Panagrammic
If we were trying to kill BG, we wouldn't roll out features that would potentially increase usage (i.e., the low-lag glow indicator).

We wanted to see the earnings and play patterns of tanks after the immortals were removed in order to do play balancing. The community has been pretty clear that modifying fish after being sold is something greatly not desired; as a result, we are taking a more cautious approach.

The REAL purpose of the low lag glow indicator, in my opinion, is to force people to play tanks without knowing what's in them. If the button is implemented accross the board and tanks are removed from signatures, timers and analyzers disabled, it will be absolutely impossible for anyone, including tank owners, to realistically anticipate a glow. Take the following example from above.

I was reading the feedback thread on the new glow buttons and came accross a tank that had a working timer/analyzer in the signature stating the tank would glow in 5 seconds. There was no glow button above her post. I played the tank because it began to glow as I read the post. The glow button did not appear until I wrote a response and the page refreshed. So I edited my post to voice my displeasure with that fact and believe it or not, 10 min after the glow had finished the glow button still indicated the tank was glowing. Say you are an owner and this was your tank. You just checked it. How were you supposed to know it would glow 5 sec later? When are you going to check it again?
I think the community needs to be pretty clear that this is unacceptable!

I am one of the people with a lagging computer and I have not seen an improvement in loading times or tank playability. As a matter of fact, I didn't have a fraction of the lag I have now before all these experiments began. Please understand I am not saying this to criticize attempts to improve the situation. I just need to say it's worse for me now than it has ever been. It would be extremely hard to believe that other players aren't also experiencing these same issues.

Tipsy Genius

15,200 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
I would like to disagree with the nay-sayers in this thread. My current computer is over seven years old. I am unable to even upgrade to Vista or 7 because my hardware is so ancient. I absolutely loved to BG when it first started up. Unfortunately, displaying tanks and signatures causes my computer to lag horribly.

This button allows me to play BG without having to re-enable sig display. I would appreciate it if this were implemented as a permanent feature without the option to turn it off. For me at least, it causes no extra loading time on the pages.

@ integer - "They" aren't forcing you to do anything. If you play a tank without knowing what is in it, then you are the only one to blame. You use tank analyzers, timers and look at the glowing tank in someone's signature to be able to BG, and it apparently works for you just fine. Then don't rely on the glowing button. Keep to your own tried and true methods. This button is to help people like me who do not have a computer that can stand up to the lag created by loading extra scripts and images.

Tipsy Genius

15,200 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Sausage Fest 200

3,400 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Signature Look 250
this was a good ideal im happy

8,950 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
Ravenloue
I would like to disagree with the nay-sayers in this thread. My current computer is over seven years old. I am unable to even upgrade to Vista or 7 because my hardware is so ancient. I absolutely loved to BG when it first started up. Unfortunately, displaying tanks and signatures causes my computer to lag horribly.

This button allows me to play BG without having to re-enable sig display. I would appreciate it if this were implemented as a permanent feature without the option to turn it off. For me at least, it causes no extra loading time on the pages.

@ integer - "They" aren't forcing you to do anything. If you play a tank without knowing what is in it, then you are the only one to blame. You use tank analyzers, timers and look at the glowing tank in someone's signature to be able to BG, and it apparently works for you just fine. Then don't rely on the glowing button. Keep to your own tried and true methods. This button is to help people like me who do not have a computer that can stand up to the lag created by loading extra scripts and images.

What you fail to realize is that when this button was introduced, our most valuable tool was disabled. If we owners can't manage our tanks, you will have no tanks to grab.

Tipsy Genius

15,200 Points
  • Noble Shade 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Sausage Fest 200

Alien Avenger

20,525 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Excitable Emoter 25
  • Cool Cat 500
I have yet to see it visible anywhere. It does not help if a tank owner can't see their own tank glowing for bumping purposes. The glow timers that were floating around BG worked very well, should not have disabled them to give us your non-working version. A waste of time.

Harvey_Kinkle's Spouse

Animal Lover

False positive on my own tank right now.

I've disabled the new button.

Unique Hacker

9,100 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Beta Citizen 0
Clearing up some misunderstandings:
- False positives were definitely an issue. Change went out about an hour ago that should fix the false positives.
- Nothing was removed in order to add this feature, nor did we disable any offsite features.

However, given the negative feedback, it looks like we'll be removing this feature soon.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff