Welcome to Gaia! ::

I've noticed alot of people really hate the US and my question is Why? Of course we have our flaws but what country doesn't? Why is there so much hostility? I know not everyone hates us but a good majority of people do...
Foreign policy. The US has a history of starting conflicts abroad, setting up dictatorships, and basically acting like a d**k ever since the start of the Cold War. See "Team America: World Police" for a tongue-in-cheek but still depressingly accurate depiction.

They also support Israel, which puts them at odds with the rest of the Middle East.
not everyone hates you........

......most, is just people's own personal opinions on why they don't like you, along with a lot about your country in general as a whole.

me? well I just think your country's people are ill-informed.

350 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Member 100
GoldenEyesDazzleMe
I've noticed alot of people really hate the US and my question is Why? Of course we have our flaws but what country doesn't? Why is there so much hostility? I know not everyone hates us but a good majority of people do...

Well, for several reasons, several countries dislike Bush, But, could also be because other countries envy us because we have everything, like a good economy(sometimes) as well as lots of money and such, i have one thing to tell them..don't be hatin
Your whole system is corrupt. How do you think Bush got into power? But he remains a puppet. Lets just hope that Obama walks in his own shoes for a change.
By the way, your economy sucks at the moment, you are running out of money, so dont go harping about that kind of thing. The only problem is that if the US goes under so do the rest of us.
We do not envy you, its just that no one has the guts to stand up to you. You own everything, for now.
GoldenEyesDazzleMe

Because your nation is oppressing the entire world. 4laugh
*Because of the arrogance of the majority of its population.
*Because they claim to be "the ones that always help others* buth in fact they just take advantage of others by convenience (examples: i will give you money but you won't do this and that and blabla, the iraq war, etc)

if you are asking what arrogance? just read Lord Saphirus18 post: "could also be because other countries envy us because we have everything, like a good economy(sometimes) as well as lots of money and such"

I must say that I don't feel envy towards a country that takes advantages of others. Sure, I would like my country to be rich and have a better economy and government, but I would never like it to be like the United States. I rather like my country to be like Switzerland, for an example.

*As teh super rice ball said, your people tend to be ill-informed and brainwashed, they believe everything the media has to say.
Don't care.

I dislike Imperial Japan. For all the crap that they did.
I dislike china's government.

I dislike other countries..not the countries themselves. but the government.
Where are you from then?
I think it's because of the stereotype that you're all loud, violent, and uneducated.
Lord Saphirus18
GoldenEyesDazzleMe

Well, for several reasons, several countries dislike Bush, But, could also be because other countries envy us because we have everything, like a good economy(sometimes) as well as lots of money and such, i have one thing to tell them..don't be hatin

It's a pretty well-established fact that the US economy sucks so much balls it's incredible. Especially right now when it's deep in the shitter and what with the government coming up with "bail out plans" that just makes s**t worse in the long run.
1- Because you guys get all the good stuff. I really hate all those nice things i'd like to get but can't.. BECAUSE I'M NOT AMERICAN! scream If any country gets special treatment it's usually the US since US is central for most things..

2- Your country tends to be a bully, and trigger-happy

3- The people are under the illusion that what they're doing is 'right' (i.e- supporting the Iraq war)

4- Hate to say it.. but it's also because of who the US 'sides' with (dunno the right word for it). So like since they're helping Israel the other Middle-Eastern countries aren't going to like the US anytime soon (of course, if they could just get along and accept Israel is there, then there wouldn't be much of a problem.. too many extremists)

7,350 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
Hello, there. I'm a U.S. citizen and, to tell you guys the truth, I'm not very happy with my country either.

The U.S. government is, as most know, incredibly intrusive. We're an imperialist nation, and have been for a long time. I know that, before 2001, we had over 700 military bases outside of our own country - I'm not sure what the count is now. Our foriegn policy is absolutly ridiculous too. For example, in Afghanistan, the U.S. military allied itself with Islamic fundamentalist warlords to fight the Islamic fundamentalist Taliban and the power switch is making no difference to the people under the control of the warlords. The reason the U.S. is probably in there in the first place is to have a strategic place in the Middle East under their control to operate from. That's only a suspicion, however, as the government will not come out and simply state exactly why it does everything it does. Politics in the U.S. are incredibly complicated, and I'm afraid I'm still figuring them out, even though I've been trying to figure them out for years now. I know exactly how the government is SUPPOSED to work, but unfortunatly, every administration normally finds some way to bend or break the rules. I love what the U.S. is supposed to stand for: freedom and equality. It's not like we ever strayed from that path, we've just been moving down it at a horribly slow pace. sad

The problem with the media in the U.S. stems mostly from the fact that a few large companies own all the major news networks. There are alternate ways of getting information, but for some reason I cannot fathom, many people don't bother to look for them. So many people are so wrapped up in their own lives, sometimes they can't see what's right in front of them. Many aspects of the media influences people to want money and material things in place of, say, information about the world around them. I know it can be like that in other places too.

But not all Americans are uninformed or apathetic. And honestly, a lot of U.S. citizens are really struggling right now (some people have always been). With the cost of so many things in the U.S. rising (as things are rising all over the world) and large companies laying off mass amounts of employees thanks to the current recession, many families are going without heat, food, and health care. I volunteer for a labor organizing drive that tries to organize people who need help, people who want to help, and just about anyone who disagrees with how the government is run now. As an organization, we help provide food for those who need it and inform workers about their rights as well as what's happening with the economy. We're attempting to build up to a point where we can effect government policy so that it benifits the people and not the overblown corporations.

As much as I disagree with my country's policy, there really isn't too much I can do at the moment. I turned 18 last year and have been voting, but I don't think that does too much. I volunteer for Amnesty International and various other organizations. I also try to learn as much as I can about everything political. I'm a college student majoring in Political Science and International Studies in hopes that someday I can effect the world in a positive way.

Howard Zinn on the American Empire: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Arn3lF5XSUg

7,350 Points
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200
Chibi_Ishizu
1- Because you guys get all the good stuff. I really hate all those nice things i'd like to get but can't.. BECAUSE I'M NOT AMERICAN! scream If any country gets special treatment it's usually the US since US is central for most things..

2- Your country tends to be a bully, and trigger-happy

3- The people are under the illusion that what they're doing is 'right' (i.e- supporting the Iraq war)

4- Hate to say it.. but it's also because of who the US 'sides' with (dunno the right word for it). So like since they're helping Israel the other Middle-Eastern countries aren't going to like the US anytime soon (of course, if they could just get along and accept Israel is there, then there wouldn't be much of a problem.. too many extremists)

1 - Where are you from and what aren't you getting because you're not American? I'm curious.

2 - Yeah, it does. Not everyone is happy about it, believe me.

3 - Most Americans are against the Iraq War right now. The whole right-and-wrong thing with the invasion was pure propaganda from the Bush administration. Not to mention, after September 11, 2001, Americans were scared shitless. This should have been a time where the people realized how their extreme militarism and involvement overseas can come back to bite them in the a**, but unfortunatly, the government made a bunch of people believe that we needed to become MORE involved overseas in order to protect ourselves. EPIC FAIL!!!!!! (I was only 11 during the initial invasion of Afghanistan, I swear there was absolutly nothing I personally could have done.)

4 - Yeah... I personally think we should't be siding with anyone on that issue. We should be on the side of PEACE and nothing else. The whole situation in the Middle East is incredibly messed up and I'm not entirely sure what would work at this point.
i mean im an american citizen and i can see why people may dislike our goverment but i mean not all americans support bush actually most hate him and the only thing that we support in the iraqui war are our troops and that we want them home safely just because we live in a country where our goverment is stupid doesnt mean we as whole are stupid and i hate that other countries hate us its like the holocaust everyone hated germany after that but it wasnt germany's people that did it it was one person who was pretty much a dictator and an idiot that not everyone in germany agreed with or liked but people still hated germans it sucks but we really cant change the way people view us and really our goverment is being run curently by idiots that have no idea how to run a country and i have a question for people in other countries how do you guys like find out about the american goverment i mean like where do you guys get your ideals about us like on the news or what? im not trying to be rude im actually curious

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff