Welcome to Gaia! ::

Me and a few friends decided that in 4 years time or such (When we're 20), that we should move to California in the states. From what I've heard, it's pretty good there so are there any Californiers who can give us a rough idea of what it's actually like over there?

We're moving because it's just so dull here in the UK. Everything sucks here, and everywhere you go, you see kids getting themselves in trouble and such and making the news.
It's sunny, and polluted.

Have fun!
It's not polluted where I live. //shrug

Major cities like LA will likely have more smog than the suburbs. If you want REALLY clean air, live close to the beach. smile

And, as a rule, kids will do stupid things to get into trouble and make the news worldwide, California is definitely no exception.

I do really like it here. In Southern California, it's very diverse, one of the most diverse areas in the country. The public transportation system sucks though.
It really depends on where here you want to live.

As much as I love my little area, DON'T move to the big "fishbowl" part of Cali, that's where all the smog and pollution flows too. Sadly. But I love California ^^ Oh, and in my area, people die from heat every summer, it can get up to 110* or 90* C {i think}. The recorded hottest was in Death Vally, I think, about 125*F
I'm from California, and I have to warn you that it's extremely overrated.

Note: California is a big state. Everything differs.

1. Southern Coast-- This is all of California that most people recognize. This is Hollywood; this is the warm, sunny beaches; this is the California that non-Californians know. It's a very small portion of the states though.

2. The Central Valley-- Most of California is made up of rural, farming communities. A wide variety of crops are grown here, including strawberries, grapes, and sunflowers.

3. The Desert-- Down south, pretty inland, are our deserts. It's very very very hot. Consider yourself warned.

4. The Sierra Nevadas-- These are our mountains. Most of Northern California is made up of mountainous regions. The most popular place to be in the mountains here is the California side of Lake Tahoe, which offers lots of skiing in the winter and its beaches in the summer.

5. The Northern Coast-- This is where I live. I'm in the San Francisco Bay. Summers are hot and sunny, winters are cold and rainy (it very rarely snows here, about once every fifteen years and it doesnt stick to the ground-- it just melts). We have beaches, but they're always cold and cloudy, even in the summer.

So to answer you: As much as I love my town and my state, California is overrated. It's pretty much the same as everywhere else. I would reccomend coming here on vacation sometime, but don't move here (Housing prices are some of the highest in the nation, btw)

Most Californians wonder why the rest of the country and the rest of the world is so infatuated with our state...

Your Californian Friend,
Lyli

Tipsy Ladykiller

6,600 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hygienic 200
Damn. I was gonna reply to let you down but WaterLyli beat me to it. :/
It may honestly depend and what exactly you're looking forward to hearing. The bad parts, sure, you could say a lot of crap about anywhere and everywhere. The good parts, any place and every place must have at least something good about it or why else would it be polulated with any life form in general? Give us a better question rather than, what is it like?

How about our economic system? With two budget cuts last year and three more coming this year, it's getting harder and harder to not only get into college and pay for it but they're trying to take as much as they can in your public and private schools; that being elementary, middle school, and high school as well. The price of Gas might have gone down, sure, what the hey, but everything else is going up. I rather gas be five dollars per gallon instead of food being double the price. I could walk can't I?

Your jobs? As long as you have an education, there should be something out there. But now a days, especially if you're coming in a good five years, it'll be harder, much hard to find a job, even with a decent education. You needn't so much of book smarts compared to street smarts. Just don't go out selling drugs and what not, I'll catch you. ninja Seeing how I'm out to become a cop.

But it's not always bad. Seeing how I live in the Central Valley, it's a very decent, well paced place to live in. Three hours away from the beach, three hours away from the snow, the air could be better, but than again, it could be worse. Not much to complain.

Look, I'll be honest; I love California. The people here might complain and what not but that's because they're children, they never really been out. They've always been here or stuck in one spot. They don't know what to expect or it's hard for them to compare. Dude, California's your best bet. Especially at the age of 20 and what not, I hope you're thinking about school. California has the best education out there, even if we're in the west side ghetto. Sure Harvard and Yale is else where, they're just ONE school. We have plenty more to top them off.

Thing is, you could hear all the bad things about California but if you were to ask about any other state, people will complain just as much about that state as well. So I'm sorry for ranting, but maybe if you have any specific questions or want us to try and persuade you to move here, maybe some of us could do a better job at informing you.
LuvMissDarling
it can get up to 110* or 90* C {i think}.

......Dear god, that's death beyond a doubt. 110degF is really closer to 40degC. Don't scare the poor boy. rofl

WaterLyli
I'm from California, and I have to warn you that it's extremely overrated.

Note: California is a big state. Everything differs.

1. Southern Coast-- This is all of California that most people recognize. This is Hollywood; this is the warm, sunny beaches; this is the California that non-Californians know. It's a very small portion of the states though.

2. The Central Valley-- Most of California is made up of rural, farming communities. A wide variety of crops are grown here, including strawberries, grapes, and sunflowers.

3. The Desert-- Down south, pretty inland, are our deserts. It's very very very hot. Consider yourself warned.

4. The Sierra Nevadas-- These are our mountains. Most of Northern California is made up of mountainous regions. The most popular place to be in the mountains here is the California side of Lake Tahoe, which offers lots of skiing in the winter and its beaches in the summer.

5. The Northern Coast-- This is where I live. I'm in the San Francisco Bay. Summers are hot and sunny, winters are cold and rainy (it very rarely snows here, about once every fifteen years and it doesnt stick to the ground-- it just melts). We have beaches, but they're always cold and cloudy, even in the summer.

So to answer you: As much as I love my town and my state, California is overrated.

3nodding Yep yep, except I don't think it's overrated. I love my home and though I'm living very far away from it at the moment, I miss it. I'm from that mountainous area "near" Tahoe and I think it's perfect. Then again, I don't find big cities and lots of action very entertaining.

Kids where I'm from only make the news for sports, not gun violence or gang trouble. There's more hippies than anything else, which makes summers at the river intesting...

Winter varries between thick snow and spring-like temperature, Spring is almost always snowy. Summer is dry and hot. Autumn is rainy and cool. But living expenses are a killer. My friends moved down to the "smog bowl" of Sacramento because it was cheaper.

Then there's the North-north; up above Chico and Yuba City there's pretty much nothing but small towns dotting the interstate. The coast is mountainous and so are the borders (the passes sometimes close in the winter due to snow).

Kamirose
And, as a rule, kids will do stupid things to get into trouble and make the news worldwide, California is definitely no exception.

I do really like it here. In Southern California, it's very diverse, one of the most diverse areas in the country. The public transportation system sucks though.

This is true. All of it. But especially about the public transit. And California can sometimes be so spread out that walking is more than inconvenient: it's counter productive. And depending on where you live biking is abou the same case.

DaisukeBabi
I rather gas be five dollars per gallon instead of food being double the price. I could walk can't I?

You might, but I couldn't. rofl

DaisukeBabi
Look, I'll be honest; I love California. The people here might complain and what not but that's because they're children, they never really been out. They've always been here or stuck in one spot. They don't know what to expect or it's hard for them to compare. Dude, California's your best bet. Especially at the age of 20 and what not, I hope you're thinking about school. California has the best education out there, even if we're in the west side ghetto. Sure Harvard and Yale is else where, they're just ONE school. We have plenty more to top them off.

Dude, totally.

Definately look into college. Don't just jump into a new country and expect to get by flippin' burgers or peelin' potatoes at In-n-Out. And you'll need a car.

sorry for the long post...
California is a nice place to move to. There's Hollywood, Dineyland, Universal Studios, the beaches, Lake Tahoe, and other cool places to visit. I always thought that UK was a nice place, not so filled with trouble, but I guess it's not so nice after all after you said that everyone's always getting into trouble...I didn't mean it as an insult, just to let you know. Also, if you're thinking about your education, CA has a lot of great schools like SDSU, USC, Stanford University, Berkeley, and other state schools. And, CA would be perfect for people that like to go "sightseeing", as my brother calls it, at the beach. LOL!! blaugh

Desirable Genius

You aren't going to see Brad Pitt walking down the street, if that's what you're imagining.
Pretty chill.
Depends on which part of Cali you're going to move to.
chill.. always sunny never bad climate..

expensive living..

Buggy Blob

26,950 Points
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175
  • Ghost Hunter 250
  • PAAANNNTTTSSS 100
Northern California is nice. DON'T go to Southern California. It sucks. It never rains so there's fires and everything burns. I can't wait until I leave Southern California.

San Francisco is one of the best places in Northern California. If you can afford it, I would say San Francisco is the best place to live in California.

Lonely Hunter

14,750 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Timid 100
Southern Cali is s**t. Seriously. Don't go there.
Most of northern Cali is nice though biggrin
Me lives in Sacramento, so not too much happens.
Our state does have a lot of attractions; Disney, Knottsberry farm, Tahoe, and the coast too!
Its like the O.C
LOL.
Go watch the series.
xp

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items