Welcome to Gaia! ::

Clean Explorer

4,950 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Contributor 150
HinataHyuga
kikixkitty13

Lol nope Dutch is a whole different thing :] What website is that lol?

I guess they just sound the same to me. Deutsch and Dutch.

Duolingo. A lot of vocab in it. I just gotta figure out when to use certain words like Sie.

Capital "S" Sie= respect/ someone you dont know. for instance. Woher kommen Sie? (where do you come from?) versus "woher kommst du?" (where do you come from? [ this is for a friend or peer])

Lower case "s" sie=she. example: "Sie ist schoen" (she is beautiful. the only reason it is capitalized is because it's the beginning of a sentence. I couldn't think of anything with "sie" in the middle or at the end.)

So, when you're talking TO someone of higher authority, or you think deserves respect, you would use Sie. When you're talking ABOUT someone (female) you would also use "sie" but it's in a whole different manner.

Does that make sense?

Clean Explorer

4,950 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Contributor 150
Papu Miau
I want to get better at Spanish and German. And French as I'm starting to forget it.
I'd like to speak Portuguese, Dutch and Danish as well.
Not likely to actually happen though.

Patience and practice my loves.

Dedicated Trainer

Well, I like different languages very much. :D I can speak Finnish and fluent English, a little Swedish and very poor French.

I'd like to learn better Swedish and French, Russian because I am 1/8 of Russian heritage (I know the alphabet already, but no actual language), German and Japanese. I'm going to start studying French again at school, and I have been thinking about trying to learn German online. I might try Japanese instead, though.

Friendly Explorer

It would be an absolute privilege to learn any language, but I'm mainly interested in Arabic, Portuguese and Danish. smile

Shy Gaian

3,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
I have 4 years of Spanish under my belt.
I know very little Japanese and French.
I want to learn: ASL, German, Italian, Chinese, and Latin.

Lonely Gawker

8,150 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Hygienic 200
kikixkitty13

Capital "S" Sie= respect/ someone you dont know. for instance. Woher kommen Sie? (where do you come from?) versus "woher kommst du?" (where do you come from? [ this is for a friend or peer])

Lower case "s" sie=she. example: "Sie ist schoen" (she is beautiful. the only reason it is capitalized is because it's the beginning of a sentence. I couldn't think of anything with "sie" in the middle or at the end.)

So, when you're talking TO someone of higher authority, or you think deserves respect, you would use Sie. When you're talking ABOUT someone (female) you would also use "sie" but it's in a whole different manner.

Does that make sense?

Ooohh, okay. I get it now. I kept getting some of them wrong and was confused why. But no, thank you! That helped me a lot. biggrin

Clean Explorer

4,950 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Contributor 150
Miruyamu
Well, I like different languages very much. :D I can speak Finnish and fluent English, a little Swedish and very poor French.

I'd like to learn better Swedish and French, Russian because I am 1/8 of Russian heritage (I know the alphabet already, but no actual language), German and Japanese. I'm going to start studying French again at school, and I have been thinking about trying to learn German online. I might try Japanese instead, though.

Those are awesome languages! I know some German, I don't know any Japanese though lol..

Clean Explorer

4,950 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Contributor 150
Veruschka
It would be an absolute privilege to learn any language, but I'm mainly interested in Arabic, Portuguese and Danish. smile

Those are interesting too! That'd be awesome to learn!

Clean Explorer

4,950 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Contributor 150
SpanishHeart27
I have 4 years of Spanish under my belt.
I know very little Japanese and French.
I want to learn: ASL, German, Italian, Chinese, and Latin.

WOOHOO for us ASL wanting to learn people! lol
I wanna learn german, italian and ASL as well. lol. I know some ASL and German:p

Clean Explorer

4,950 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Befriended 100
  • Contributor 150
HinataHyuga
kikixkitty13

Does that make sense?

Ooohh, okay. I get it now. I kept getting some of them wrong and was confused why. But no, thank you! That helped me a lot. biggrin

ANYTIME! I love to help

Invisible Kitten

I want to learn Japanese, Chinese and German.
I've known some Japanese, but there are too many new words to memorize, including the slangs xd and Chinese.. is soo full of kanji hahaha

I'm thinking about continuing my studies in German so I thought it will be better to learn the language first..

Devout Seeker

10,050 Points
  • Lavish Tipper 200
  • Alchemy Level 4 100
  • Seasoned Warrior 250
All these beautiful languages!! Languages are my favourite!!

I studied Spanish at uni for many years, I understand my husband perfectly, but struggle with the news and others - especially on the phone!

Other languages I want to learn:
Arabic: I can read the Arabic alphabet and know some basic vocab, mostly related to the Qur'an.
Swedish: I love how it sounds! I started a course on LiveMocha, but I'm stumbling on a couple of the vowels despite having studied phonetics sweatdrop
Japanese: I can read hiragana, but I have long forgotten any syntax and vocab I learnt!
Esperanto: I'm going through the online courses on Lernu - this is an experiment for myself really in search of an answer to why my Spanish isn't improving much even whilst staying for half a year in Venezuela.

I love learning vocab from Quizlet, and am mainly using it for learning Esperanto and Arabic frequency words from the Qur'an, if anyone else is interested in accessing my vocab lists, let me know!

Sweet Cutie-Pie

12,750 Points
  • Generous 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Friendly 100
I wish to learn French, Russian language, dialects around Africa.

3,950 Points
  • Member 100
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Friendly 100
Chinese, Jap, Korean etc basically all the asian languages lol

Hygienic Genius

9,200 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Jack-pot 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
I am learning Finnish

Quick Reply