Welcome to Gaia! ::

Anxious Genius

My partner and I are looking at moving to Uruguay when I'm done with school, but having trouble finding region-specific Spanish. I'm a bit rusty on it but I took textbook spanish for about six years. Anybody want to chat and help? blaugh

Man-Hungry Abomination

Yo ayudo :v

Clean Cat

5,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Cat Fancier 100
  • Generous 100

Wheezing Fatcat

I know a good bit of castellano porteño (that being rioplatense/River Plate region dialect) from living in Buenos Aires for a while, and I find that a lot of the basics and pronunciation were very similar when I took a trip to Uruguay (which isn't surprising - Uruguay is also in the River Plate Basin area).

Using "vos" instead of "tú" for second person familiar form is one of the most basic adjustments to make. Verbs in the "vos" form are slightly different, but I find they're much more intuitive with less irregular conjugations. You should be able to find guides for these online.

Another big thing is pronouncing y sounds (LL) as more of a j or zh sound. "Me jamo" instead of "me yamo".

Really, if you speak standard Spanish well enough, no one's going to have too much trouble understanding you, and you'll eventually pick up the dialect from hearing it so often.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff