Welcome to Gaia! ::

Tipsy Werewolf

I'm thinking of going to Ireland, and maybe Scotland, England, and Wales. I wonder if there is any tips you'd have for some one whose never traveled out of the States before. I know 'fish and fries' here in the Heartland is 'Fish and chips' over on those Islands. So yeah, I was wondering what tips I could be given.

Since I don't want to step on any toes. >.<
I don't like screwing up and seeming like a fool.

People over there would probably think of my American country accent as, funny. Though I adore their accents, Irish/Scot/English/Welsh. I can do a bit of an Irish accent but nothing to special. So tips if you please! I'd be happy to hear! smile
Thorn the Lone Shewolf
I know 'fish and fries' here in the Heartland is 'Fish and chips' over on those Islands.
Thorn the Lone Shewolf

I probably wouldn't refer to the U.K. as "those islands" then - I'm sure it was unintentional but it comes off a bit rude wink

As for other stuff...well you're already aware that there's more than England (usual rookie mistake) so that's a good start! I would say as long as you're thoughtful, you should be OK. Just understand that we're generally a lot more sarcastic than Americans so what could sound like an insult to you could be a just a joke.

Also, since you're planning on visiting lots of places, try not to mix up Scottish/English/Welsh/Irish. Like, if you hear someone's accent, ask them where they're from rather than guessing. I don't have an ear for accents at all so I've screwed this up plenty of times even though I live in the UK -__- Hopefully they'll just laugh it off but depending on what you mix it up with, you could really insult someone...

Other than that, have fun! biggrin

Tipsy Werewolf

Pengi-sama
Thorn the Lone Shewolf
I know 'fish and fries' here in the Heartland is 'Fish and chips' over on those Islands.
Thorn the Lone Shewolf

I probably wouldn't refer to the U.K. as "those islands" then - I'm sure it was unintentional but it comes off a bit rude wink

As for other stuff...well you're already aware that there's more than England (usual rookie mistake) so that's a good start! I would say as long as you're thoughtful, you should be OK. Just understand that we're generally a lot more sarcastic than Americans so what could sound like an insult to you could be a just a joke.

Also, since you're planning on visiting lots of places, try not to mix up Scottish/English/Welsh/Irish. Like, if you hear someone's accent, ask them where they're from rather than guessing. I don't have an ear for accents at all so I've screwed this up plenty of times even though I live in the UK -__- Hopefully they'll just laugh it off but depending on what you mix it up with, you could really insult someone...

Other than that, have fun! biggrin

Well I said 'those islands' meaning those places are where I want to visit. At first I wanted to go to Japan pretty badly and island hoping. And I do speak a bit on the sarcastic side, but not much. Since I with my co-workers seem harsh. Plus I know I've ancestors from over in that area and I'd like to see the sights for myself.

And I'm curious of what to wear during the seasons over there. Where I live summers are pretty humid, sticky, and hot. Winters not so much winter barely get snow where I live.
And thanks for the advice! I normally even ask people where they're from... Like a girl I know she has not much of an accent. I asked where she was from she's from California.
Again thanks smile
Thorn the Lone Shewolf
Well I said 'those islands' meaning those places are where I want to visit. At first I wanted to go to Japan pretty badly and island hoping. And I do speak a bit on the sarcastic side, but not much. Since I with my co-workers seem harsh. Plus I know I've ancestors from over in that area and I'd like to see the sights for myself.

And I'm curious of what to wear during the seasons over there. Where I live summers are pretty humid, sticky, and hot. Winters not so much winter barely get snow where I live.
And thanks for the advice! I normally even ask people where they're from... Like a girl I know she has not much of an accent. I asked where she was from she's from California.
Again thanks smile

Get a decent raincoat.

Nah, I'm just kidding...sort of xp It does partly depend on where you are, but I would recommend a good raincoat (thick one for winter, thin one for summer). It doesn't get much above 80F in the summer, if I converted that right, and I wouldn't say it's particularly humid. The winter is a little more variable in my experience, but obviously the further north, the more likely the snow! But down in the south, it doesn't snow that often. That's not the say it doesn't get to 30F and below - it's just that it's generally too wet (and salty if you're by the coast) for the snow to stick.

Tipsy Werewolf

Pengi-sama

Get a decent raincoat.

Nah, I'm just kidding...sort of xp It does partly depend on where you are, but I would recommend a good raincoat (thick one for winter, thin one for summer). It doesn't get much above 80F in the summer, if I converted that right, and I wouldn't say it's particularly humid. The winter is a little more variable in my experience, but obviously the further north, the more likely the snow! But down in the south, it doesn't snow that often. That's not the say it doesn't get to 30F and below - it's just that it's generally too wet (and salty if you're by the coast) for the snow to stick.

Thanks smile I've never been any where near salt water (ocean) before. Nor do I live North. Where I live it's gotten about 110F. And it'd be different not having humidity during the summer time. Rarely does winters get below 30F below.

4,600 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
Bring a lot of sanitary wipes biggrin best to be clean than to get sick and die..

Tipsy Werewolf

Gwendlen Gothica Raven
Bring a lot of sanitary wipes biggrin best to be clean than to get sick and die..

o.O Oh, okay. I can a couple of bottles of hand san. with me around. I clean tables for a job. Yet you never know whose hands you'll shake when off work and such. Or whose touched what. Any thing else?

Dangerous Loiterer

Gwendlen Gothica Raven

I'm sorry, what? We're talking about Britain, not a bloody third-world country, thank you very much.
We're just as clean — if not cleaner — than Americans, so there really isn't a risk of getting fatally
ill unless you're somebody who lacks basic hygiene and common-sense. People are likely to be
offended if you spend your time cleaning yourself with wipes as though the country is a disease-
infested shithole; considering OP doesn't want to cause a fuss and stand out, taking the biohazard
route isn't the best advice.

Tipsy Werewolf

Caerthakatha

It's the UK, not a third-world country; we're just as clean as Americans, so there's really no risk of
somebody 'getting sick and dying' unless that person lacks common sense and basic hygiene.

I figured that. So what part of the UK do you live in? I want to visit all the sights and different places.

Dangerous Loiterer

Thorn the Lone Shewolf
Caerthakatha

It's the UK, not a third-world country; we're just as clean as Americans, so there's really no risk of
somebody 'getting sick and dying' unless that person lacks common sense and basic hygiene.

I figured that. So what part of the UK do you live in? I want to visit all the sights and different places.

Personally, I'm from Yorkshire but now live in Nottinghamshire, whose only claim to fame is Sherwood
Forest and Robin Hood. So I'd just recommend Yorkshire in general, which is the largest area of
England and has miles upon miles upon miles of untouched countryside and Roman / Viking archaeology.

York is beautiful and historic, with loads of Viking and Tudor structures ranging from 1000-1600AD,
and then there's places like Whitby on the coast, which is famous for Dracula. The Moors are
gorgeous and are full of little villages made of stone.

And here's a nice shot of York's Shambles, which are all from the 1300/1400s.

User Image

And I recommend the Leeds Royal Armouries if you're into seeing medieval armour and famous
weapons. Sometimes they even do special exhibitions; I remember seeing when WETA held a
Lord of the Rings one and had all the armour used in the films there.

Tipsy Werewolf

Caerthakatha

Thanks for the informant. I'll keep it in mind. smile

Eloquent Shapeshifter

13,550 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Citizen 200
Caerthakatha
Gwendlen Gothica Raven

I'm sorry, what? We're talking about Britain, not a bloody third-world country, thank you very much.
We're just as clean — if not cleaner — than Americans, so there really isn't a risk of getting fatally
ill unless you're somebody who lacks basic hygiene and common-sense. People are likely to be
offended if you spend your time cleaning yourself with wipes as though the country is a disease-
infested shithole; considering OP doesn't want to cause a fuss and stand out, taking the biohazard
route isn't the best advice.

Okay, sorry but that "if not cleaner" remark really just rubbed me the wrong way. I'm not trying to start an argument or anything here, but can we not just agree our hygiene standards are basically the same? The same goes for here, you aren't going to get deathly ill here in America unless you come across someone who doesn't bother to keep up their personal hygiene, leaving out the risk of things like AIDS and its ilk which are a risk most everywhere and generally stem for risky business anyway, so...

As for travelling, remember to be polite. You're visiting their country as a guest, it's best to not go causing problems. Also, don't be afraid to ask questions about their culture and history. In my personal experience, though I've not been to any of the mentioned countries, people are all too happy to tell you about their different customs and traditions and are generally glad you're interested in them and aren't just there to fool around, not to mention they're interesting no matter where you go!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff