Welcome to Gaia! ::

Jazzy-Devine
lilkittyloo
Hi! I met a Finnish guy on Holiday smile
He kept talking to his friends in finnish and I didn't understand him... but i did keep hearing one word, so i asked him what it meant.... rofl

It was the f word XD .. so thats one word i know razz

Was it vittu? Or perkele? Or maybe saatana? XD

It was vittu whee

5,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Full closet 200
I was once told that Finnish is a verrrry difficult language and was only spoken in

one area. ^-^;;

I'm sorry if I seem rude for asking. Just curious. >.<
The Fuzzy Fairy
I was once told that Finnish is a verrrry difficult language and was only spoken in

one area. ^-^;;

Um, I would say it varies from person to person on if it is difficult or not.
And, yeah, it's pretty much just spoken in Finland. But, I'm sure there are little pockets of Finnish speaking people elsewhere in the world. We have Finnish people here in the US in Minnesota and Wisconsin. ^^

5,300 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Beta Critic 0
  • Full closet 200
Jazzy-Devine
The Fuzzy Fairy

one area. ^-^;;

Um, I would say it varies from person to person on if it is difficult or not.
And, yeah, it's pretty much just spoken in Finland. But, I'm sure there are little pockets of Finnish speaking people elsewhere in the world. We have Finnish people here in the US in Minnesota and Wisconsin. ^^

Thank you for answering my questions ^-^

That's pretty cool!
Elen Donaya
Ha, bongasin Suomi-threadin! surprised

Hei kaikille. Jos joku tarvitsee apua, niin multa saa kysyä vapaasti. razz
Muutenkin on liikaa vapaa aikaa käsillä, varsinkin iltaisin.

Hello everyone. If any of you guys need some help with the language, feel free to ask me.
I've got lots of free time, especially at nights.

Sorry for ignoring you. razz
What's bongasin mean?
Jazzy-Devine
Elen Donaya

Hello everyone. If any of you guys need some help with the language, feel free to ask me.

What's bongasin mean?

bongata = to find something useful by accident
bongasin = the 1st person past tense form (I found...)
Jazzy-Devine
Voyagerious
Oh, the slang...
...Not to mention the dialects sweatdrop
I frequently hear slang words (especially here in the capital city area) I've never even heard before - and quite a lot of them are actually derived from Swedish (for a few reasons that I won't discuss here further), so it can be quite difficult indeed...

Niinkuin pohjoispohjalaiset murteet? Mun kaveri Pasi asun seinäjokissa, and he told me about it. Isn't that where they speak that? Or am I thinking of the wrong dialect? I mostly meant the shortenings. ^^; Tämä= Tää, Minä/sinä= Mä/sä, Sinusta, Minusta= susta, musta, etc and stuff like "kyl". I don't want to get involved with the whole Swinnish (Swedish- Finnish XD) stuff they have going on in Helsinki. Stadin slangi, right? User Image

We have some cool slang going on here too. I just moved and I didn't understand some stuff people said. I guess "beastly" means cool up here. XD

Stadin slangi can be pretty tedious at times. sweatdrop
Yeah, that's right - the Ostrobothnian dialects and the area around Seinäjoki go hand in hand.
Almost every Finnish dialect has its own shortenings (or even their own alternatives for the standard words) for the personal pronouns.
Voyagerious
Jazzy-Devine
Voyagerious
Oh, the slang...
...Not to mention the dialects sweatdrop
I frequently hear slang words (especially here in the capital city area) I've never even heard before - and quite a lot of them are actually derived from Swedish (for a few reasons that I won't discuss here further), so it can be quite difficult indeed...

Niinkuin pohjoispohjalaiset murteet? Mun kaveri Pasi asun seinäjokissa, and he told me about it. Isn't that where they speak that? Or am I thinking of the wrong dialect? I mostly meant the shortenings. ^^; Tämä= Tää, Minä/sinä= Mä/sä, Sinusta, Minusta= susta, musta, etc and stuff like "kyl". I don't want to get involved with the whole Swinnish (Swedish- Finnish XD) stuff they have going on in Helsinki. Stadin slangi, right? User Image

We have some cool slang going on here too. I just moved and I didn't understand some stuff people said. I guess "beastly" means cool up here. XD

Stadin slangi can be pretty tedious at times. sweatdrop
Yeah, that's right - the Ostrobothnian dialects and the area around Seinäjoki go hand in hand.
Almost every Finnish dialect has its own shortenings (or even their own alternatives for the standard words) for the personal pronouns.

I know that in pohjoispohjalaiset dialects instead of saying "Mä oon" they say,"M'oon"
Hehe and "S'oon"

User Image
Voyagerious
Jazzy-Devine
Elen Donaya

What's bongasin mean?

I thought it was löytäisin....or is that more like 'discover'? I always use it...

User Image
Jazzy-Devine
Voyagerious
Jazzy-Devine
Elen Donaya

What's bongasin mean?

I thought it was löytäisin....or is that more like 'discover'? I always use it...

User Image
'bongata' is kinda slang word. If you want to be literate you use 'löytää' verb instead of 'bongata'.

Oh and hello to all fellow Finnish people
Yralda
Jazzy-Devine
Voyagerious
Jazzy-Devine
Elen Donaya

What's bongasin mean?

User Image
'bongata' is kinda slang word. If you want to be literate you use 'löytää' verb instead of 'bongata'.

Oh and hello to all fellow Finnish people

Ohhh, okay. ^^

User Image

No one's posting. crying

User Image
Just wait for my general linguistics lectures. I'm sure something interesting will show up. 3nodding
Hello everyone!
I am not Finnish [sadly =(], but I wish to live there one day. Since I was a wee lass...

And I have tried to learn the language, but I'm pretty lazy.

Quotable Kitten

7,250 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • Forum Regular 100
My dad's 50 percent Finnish. When he married my mum and had me, I'm not only 25 percent Finnish. emo

Um, I don't know any finnish besides "Moi, hyva pyva" and "Kalakryleet," if that's how you spell the food dish.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff