Welcome to Gaia! ::

Jazzy:
Wow. I think know Finnish pretty well whee
Lorelai the Flyer
About the bands Nightwish, Sonata Arctica and Stratovarius are some great bands too. Though I don't know if you can count Nightwish as Finnish any more because their new singer is from Sweden...

Tarja was amazing. I hate that they kicked her ... they're just not the same without her :l
Dinlos
Jazzy:
Wow. I think know Finnish pretty well whee

Really? Nah! XD
You should hear me speak....I don't think I have much of an accent but I speak terribly slow.
wow i think is finnish
Terve!

Olen Luana, ja minä olen Uusi-Seelantilainen. Minä opin suomea, mutta osaan vain vähän.
I've always felt so lucky to have Finnish as my mother tongue - my linguistics lecturer (she's Russian but speaks very good Finnish) told us yesterday a little bit about foreigners studying Finnish and considered our language 'extremely difficult'. sweatdrop

What she frets the most is the overwhelmingly large amount of original words in Finnish - there are lots of loanwords, of course, but the vast majority of our words are original.
For example, it is virtually impossible to 'guess' the Finnish equivalent to the word "computer" because it doesn't really resemble any other equivalent word in other languages. A verbatim translation for it would be "a knowledge machine" or something like that.
BedsideBouncer
Lorelai the Flyer
About the bands Nightwish, Sonata Arctica and Stratovarius are some great bands too. Though I don't know if you can count Nightwish as Finnish any more because their new singer is from Sweden...

Tarja was amazing. I hate that they kicked her ... they're just not the same without her :l

Agreed!
The new Nightwish is nothing compared to the original.
[neon.zombie]
Terve!

Olen Luana, ja minä olen Uusi-Seelantilainen. Minä opin suomea, mutta osaan vain vähän.

Tää on hyvää. Mä ymmärrän. ^^
Voyagerious
I've always felt so lucky to have Finnish as my mother tongue - my linguistics lecturer (she's Russian but speaks very good Finnish) told us yesterday a little bit about foreigners studying Finnish and considered our language 'extremely difficult'. sweatdrop

What she frets the most is the overwhelmingly large amount of original words in Finnish - there are lots of loanwords, of course, but the vast majority of our words are original.
For example, it is virtually impossible to 'guess' the Finnish equivalent to the word "computer" because it doesn't really resemble any other equivalent word in other languages. A verbatim translation for it would be "a knowledge machine" or something like that.

Well, there is slang "kompuutteri", right? Anyway, I think that the fact that there are fewer loan words makes the language easier. I'm trying to learn German and whenever I come across a word that looks like it should be in English, I want to say it like it's an English word. D: At least with Finnish there is no chance of that. And memorizing is easier for me that way too.
uchiya_saske321
wow i think is finnish

Sorry....what? sweatdrop

Shinx96's Boyfriend

Shameless Gawker

User ImageUser Image
Does anyone know any good Finnish learning sites?
My school doesn't offer it as a course.
;~;
User Image User Image
Jazzy-Devine
Voyagerious

Well, there is slang "kompuutteri", right? Anyway, I think that the fact that there are fewer loan words makes the language easier. I'm trying to learn German and whenever I come across a word that looks like it should be in English, I want to say it like it's an English word. D: At least with Finnish there is no chance of that. And memorizing is easier for me that way too.

Oh yes, that word 3nodding There used to be a computer magazine called "Kompuutteri kaikille" ('a computer for everyone') but then they changed its name to "Kotimikro" ('a home pc'), which I thought was a rather stupid decision.
Actually, the situation was the same with me when I studied German but another language was mixing it up - whenever I tried to think of some German word, I instantly started to think about the Swedish alternative. sweatdrop
Interesting...

I might stick around here for a while. surprised
D a i y a a
User ImageUser Image
Does anyone know any good Finnish learning sites?
My school doesn't offer it as a course.
;~;
User Image User Image

Finnish for Foreigners

Finnish School

Finnish Text to Speech
Voyagerious
Jazzy-Devine
Voyagerious

Oh yes, that word 3nodding There used to be a computer magazine called "Kompuutteri kaikille" ('a computer for everyone') but then they changed its name to "Kotimikro" ('a home pc'), which I thought was a rather stupid decision.
Actually, the situation was the same with me when I studied German but another language was mixing it up - whenever I tried to think of some German word, I instantly started to think about the Swedish alternative. sweatdrop

That happens to me when I try to speak Finnish. D: I'll go.."Ich.....wtf?"
XDD

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas