brit 0.50675138999206 50.7% [ 638 ]
Total Votes:[ 1259 ]
< 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 366 367 368 > >> >>> »|

7,350 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
unspoken42
I personally hate it when americans say that we have an "Accent." My question is; Which one? We live in a country where there are as many accents as people! (Slight overstatement but you get my point!)

To be fair, everyone has an accent....

obviously the context you're describing is different, but still. If I said "British people have an accent," technically there's nothing wrong there. I never said it had to be the same one.... razz

The fact that you mention this makes me doubt you'd say the same thing about Americans, but I'm sure there are plenty of kids from the U.K. and elsewhere in the English-speaking world that say the exact same thing about us. I haven't heard it happen much, (except for when I visited with a group a few years ago, a girl from my homestay family did say we had an accent, and there were kids from Wisconsin with heavy accents as well as kids from North Carolina both with Southern accents and very neutral ones) as most of the time when I hear anyone from outside the U.S. mentioning accents it is a comedian that DOES them so they know what they are talking about. lol

I get what you're saying though. It is very frustrating. I personally hate that my country tends to be so ignorant. There are people in all countries who are just apathetic about any culture but their own, but I won't deny that it is disproportionally bad in America. I try to reconcile people on both sides, because it is something I care about, but most people just don't care. I try to remember that I just can't expect them to.

Fashionable Borg

^^ I don't mind them saying it. It means they're acknowledging me and I guess 'respecting' me.

7,350 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
True, true. Although I guess sometimes I feel that when people get hung up on accents it shows how much difficulty they have accepting different cultures. Like when people ask "Why do you guys spell it 'colour'" etc. It happens both sides, I actually saw a YouTube video of two girls from Hertford attempting to do American accents and then making fun of just the simple differences in they way our accents sound, not even differences in actual pronunciation. They then went on to say "OMG IT'S BOGIE not booger!!" and "CRISPS CRISPS CRISPS NOT CHIPS" etc. etc. There is no right or wrong. It's simple differences in culture. There's no need to ask "omg why do you do it that way," it just IS that way. It's a lack of understanding and acceptances of these differences that bothers me. :
I miss England an insane amount. I studied there last year. And nothing has been the same since I came back. It's like the UK freaking ruined me for any other country.
I saw Marks and Spencers cookies in a speciality store on the weekend and went beserk. I bought them so I could sit in my room and pretend I was still in England.

7,350 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
Unless life somehow says "nope I don't think so" I am moving there after college. :

Fashionable Borg

Treacherous Desire
I miss England an insane amount. I studied there last year. And nothing has been the same since I came back. It's like the UK freaking ruined me for any other country.
I saw Marks and Spencers cookies in a speciality store on the weekend and went beserk. I bought them so I could sit in my room and pretend I was still in England.

HAHA! OMG, where did you get da cookies?! scream scream scream scream scream
surprised I am American.
]
OMG.
Another Brightonian ;D
(Y)
I'm so glad to be in a thread for English people.
X
Alright sorry, I thought I would come flash my lil' American smile around at the people from the United Kingdom. Must say it is beautiful over there and all but America also has it perks when you find a small town who doesn't have there heads all the way up there asses. But then again most people don't consider this.

But anyways I thought the thread name was good so I had to stop by and say hello. My name is Ron and I am 19. Born in Marietta, Ga of the USA. And lived in every continental state. But yeah.
girlsinsuits
unspoken42
I personally hate it when americans say that we have an "Accent." My question is; Which one? We live in a country where there are as many accents as people! (Slight overstatement but you get my point!)

To be fair, everyone has an accent....

obviously the context you're describing is different, but still. If I said "British people have an accent," technically there's nothing wrong there. I never said it had to be the same one.... razz

The fact that you mention this makes me doubt you'd say the same thing about Americans, but I'm sure there are plenty of kids from the U.K. and elsewhere in the English-speaking world that say the exact same thing about us. I haven't heard it happen much, (except for when I visited with a group a few years ago, a girl from my homestay family did say we had an accent, and there were kids from Wisconsin with heavy accents as well as kids from North Carolina both with Southern accents and very neutral ones) as most of the time when I hear anyone from outside the U.S. mentioning accents it is a comedian that DOES them so they know what they are talking about. lol

I get what you're saying though. It is very frustrating. I personally hate that my country tends to be so ignorant. There are people in all countries who are just apathetic about any culture but their own, but I won't deny that it is disproportionally bad in America. I try to reconcile people on both sides, because it is something I care about, but most people just don't care. I try to remember that I just can't expect them to.

I do understand where you are coming from. The whole "accent" thing is one of my many pet peeves. I was wrong to say "Americans." Because though it is proportionally the largest amount of people who would say it, there are bound to be other nationalities who do as well.

When I talk to my American friends via email or suchlike about it. I've tried to compare, for example the accent that you have in New York to something along the lines of Texan ones.

And Vahni. I guess that there would be something american in "The british are coming" historically. :p
inaniloquent
Treacherous Desire

HAHA! OMG, where did you get da cookies?! scream scream scream scream scream

At an import shop called Cooks. They have, like, cheese from Switzerland and olive oil from Greece. But my favourite section is the British section. So. Good.
rofl bump to get more posts rofl

Blessed Capitalist

6,500 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Bunny Spotter 50
Woo finally ^_^
I call you all from Merseyside in the northwest.
WOO YES!
Kent, England. ;D

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas