Welcome to Gaia! ::

Heyo! I'm a high school senior and the only thing I really want to do in college is uh study abroad. For real. I also wouldn't mind studying foreign language....so I was thinking teaching English as a second language would be a good route? I'm interested in studying Spanish, Italian, maybe even portugese!

Wheezing Fatcat

If you major in foreign language, you definitely want to do something related to education. There aren't too many other options except for translator. You could also study international relations/business and minor in a language.

Is there anything in particular you were wondering about study abroad? I've been abroad for about half a year as a requirement for my major, so I can do my best to explain things.
piparminttukaramelli
If you major in foreign language, you definitely want to do something related to education. There aren't too many other options except for translator. You could also study international relations/business and minor in a language.

Is there anything in particular you were wondering about study abroad? I've been abroad for about half a year as a requirement for my major, so I can do my best to explain things.

Well....can you study abroad for a year?! Or maybe even more, or is semester the only option?!! Haaha, and where have you studied abroad? Is being a translator difficult?!

Wheezing Fatcat

Yes, you can study abroad for a year as long as you have the finances for it. It does get pretty expensive, and not every scholarship can go towards it. You'll want to go after your second year of college so that you have enough practice with the language if you planning on living somewhere that long (and believe me, you DO have to know a foreign language pretty well to live in a nation that doesn't have English as an official language.)

Your university will probably have a study abroad office and a list of various third party programs (or they can explain how to travel independently), and they'll explain which credits will be able to transfer depending on which nation you pick, etc.

I'm not a translator, so I can't answer that very well, but I have done some simulations of what translating would be like in a medical setting. It's difficult because you have to go from English - Second language for the patient and then Second language - English for the doctor. It's hard to remember everything each person has said if they speak more than a few sentences.

I'm currently living in Argentina.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces