Welcome to Gaia! ::

Romantic Phantom

The school system here in the states blows, I want to go back over seas for school and not come back after.
-Do you have school uniforms?
Answer: Nope. There are no school uniforms in my school. Nor in any other school in the area.

-How strict are the teachers?
Answer: Not very strict. Teachers for us are like extra parents. We call them nicknames, joke around with them, they pick on us from time to time, etc.

-What classes do you take in elementary/secondary schooling?
Answer: I don't know how different it is from any other school, so I'll just explain. xD
Um, we are assigned to one teacher for most of the day in Elementary school. For P.E. or music, we go to different teachers. Grades are Pre-school - 4th grade.
It's so weired hearing it called "secondary school". We only call it Middle school. Anywho, fifth and sixth graders are usually still assigned to about three different teachers. One main one, a band ( if the student has band ), Choir ( if the student has choir ), and P.E. Some 5th and 6th graders also have the option of learning Spanish. 7th and 8th graders have a whole different schedule going on. XD They have 6 different classes. Usually along the lines of Science, English, Social Studies, Math, Careers and Social skills, Video production, P.E., Health, etc.

-Rules? Policies?
We're not aloud to wear hats. No chewing gum or eating in the classroom unless the teacher gives you special permission. Skirts have to be at least as long as where your fingertips reach when you put them straight down. No students in the hallways before school or during lunch. Tank top straps have to be the width of two fingers side by side.
-What is a typical day of school like?
I'm a sophomore in high school.
1st period- I have band. If we're not working on concert music, we're playing pep! High school students are required to attend Pep band. That's where we play a bunch of songs for school football and basketball games to give 'em a little pep. ( Hence the name ).
2nd period-In world history we don't do a lot. We usually talk the whole period. XD If we're not doing that, then we're doing some work out of our textbooks or working on homework that we didn't finish last night. XD
3rd period-
-Is lunch as bad over there as it is here? xD
Yes.

Sorry I can't go into more detail. I kind of stopped half way through the school day one. I'll come back and finish it. XD
No ^^
not strict at all D:
Music,music theory and music history ^^
-Rules? Policies?
Dont have so many,only dont have hats and dont set fire on the school xD
08:30-12:00 classes, 12:00-13:00 Lunch, 13:00-15:00 classes .____."
Yep ^^ But i eat outside the schoolground so i survive ^^
-`Do you have school uniforms?
Yes. ^-^ Most schools do, besides a couple of rural smaller schools and some odd other ones.

-`How strict are the teachers?
Depends on who you get. xD Most are easy going.

-`What classes do you take in elementary/secondary schooling?
Primary (elementary): Generally, there is English, Math, HSIE, Art, Technology and other classes depending on the school.
High (secondary): These are the ones from my school, and I do the ones in bold:
English: ESL, Standard, Advanced, Ext 1, Ext 2
Maths: General, Advanced, Ext 1, Ext 2
Science: Senior Science, Physics, Biology, Chemistry
Social Science (etc.): Geography, Economics, Legal Studies, Business Studies
History: Ancient, Modern, Ext
Arts: Visual Arts, Drama, Music 1, Music 2, Music Ext
Asian Languages: Japanese Beginners, Japanese Continuers, Japanese Background Speakers, Japanese Ext, Chinese Beginners, Chinese Continuers, Chinese Ext.
European Languages: French Beginners, French Continuers, French Ext, Latin Continuers, Latin Ext, Spanish Continuers, Spanish Ext.
IT: IPT, SDD
PDHPE

And other various uncommon subjects. xD

-`Rules? Policies?
Uh, well my school is a private international school, so uniforms must be kept tidy and clean. Blazers to be worn to formal events and travelling to and from school. Boy must cut their hair off the ears and collar. Girls skirts and dresses not to be too short. No excessive jewellry. Only one pair of studs allowed (which must be gold/silver with a diamond or whatever). Bags must be placed in lockers during the course of the whole day (so we only carry books around). No smoking, drinking or digesting drugs whilst in school uniform. Girls' hair must be pulled back. Shoes must be polished. Etc. xD

-`What is a typical day of school like?
8:15am-3:20pm. 15mins homeroom, 6 55-min periods a day, with recess and lunch in between a pair of periods.

-`Is lunch as bad over there as it is here? xD
Where? xD Well, the canteen only has healthy food. ^-^ Which I don't mind at all. That means no soft drinks or junk food. ;D
yep. every school here does. not sure about the international schools though.

depends on the teacher itself. they used to be really strict ages ago, but theyre way more lenient now. most of the teachers are ok though, we can joke around with them and stuff.

for primary school, everyone has to take 4 main subjects:
English
Math
Science
Mother Tongue(In my case, Chinese. The other 2 are Tamil or Malay)
*And if you're good enough, you can also take Higher Mother Tongue which is like Mother Tongue except harder. The standard of MT is lower than EL though.

In Secondary school now, I'm taking
English
Elementary Math
Additional Math
Higher Chinese(those who took higher chinese in primary school don't need to take chinese in secondary school and can just study higher chinese)
Biology(You can choose between Physics and Chemistry)
Chemistry
Geography,History(Or English Literature)
Social Studies
German(3rd language that is optional)

-Rules? Policies?

USually, shoes have to be white/black with white socks. Hair must be tied up for those with long hair, fringe cannot touch eyebrows(though everyone breaks this rule and no one really cares), hair ties and hair bands must be in school colours(usually black/blue), skirt msut not be higher than knee, shirt msut be tucked in(for most) etc.

Starts at about 7.30am and ends at about 1-2pm. The only break is usually around 10-11am. There are about 6-8 lessons a day, though it varies.
EAch person must have a co-curricular activity(CCA) as well(sports/aesthetics/clubs etc).
For primary school CCAs aren't that important and usually it only requires students to stay back in school once a week for sessions. In secondary schools, its a lot more important and soem CCAs require students to stay back 2-3 times a week after school for practice. So really, a typical school day can be quite different for different students.

-Is lunch as bad over there as it is here?
Lol. Well, we don't call it lunch cuz schools end early enough for students to have their own lunch at home or elsewhere. Its called recess, like a mid morning break. Basically in schools here, each school has a canteen with about 6-8 stalls(again, depends on the school) that sell different kinds of food(partly to cater to the different races and religions as well). The food is cheaper than those you buy outside, but it usually doesn't taste as good either, though its not that bad.
The stalls are kind of pressured by the school to cook healthy food.
I live in the Southeastern United States. I am always amused by movies set in schools, because they usually ignore general rules that schools always have. I'm in college/university now, so this is all my experiences.

When I was in the school system, the answer was no. Now they have to wear plain polos, oxfords, and dress shirts in school selected colors, and navy or tan bottoms. They can wear jeans, but must wear a belt (No word on what kind of belt) when there is belt loops.

However, just because we didn't have uniforms when I was in school didn't mean that I got off scot-free. We had rules too: Skirts and shorts must end at fingertips, Shirts must cover most of the shoulder if sleeveless. Nothing baggy or oversized. No Spagetti straps, No midriffs, visible school id, etc.

Depends on the teacher, however generally everything better be done when they say so.

From ages 11-14 regardless of gender, Generally:
English
Math
Social Studies (History/Geography together.)
Science
Reading
Physical Education (with a President's Challenge segment tacked on.)
Home Economics (Usually one semester of Cooking, Cleaning, Household manners, Sex ed)
Electives: Music, Art, Computers, Drama, Languages, Journalism, Technology courses, anything else offered. Each School is different: Some offer Woodworking (for example), and others don't. One thing's for sure: Study hall is something I've never had offered or given to me.

Elementary school doesn't have Home Ec.

-Rules? Policies?
Every year we got a two hundred and seventy-five page booklet explaining every single thing we could and couldn't do any why. It was a monster, it had graphs and everything. Pretty deep.
Wake up, Get ready, Go to school, run thru your classes, eat lunch, run thru some more classes, go home, do your homework, eat dinner, do more homework, go to bed. Repeat.

I'm a devout Jew, so they catered my lunch options out to a kosher deli, or gave me strict vegetarian options. It was alright, I suppose, even if I can't speak for regular lunch options.
i live in the u.s, but my school district is whacked up and i wanted to see if there are more differences then how we just don't get spring break.

nope, but the dress code is we can't wear skirts higher than mid thigh and our shirts must have sleeves and absolutely NO ripped pants/clothing.

not much, i got it easy.

in middle we get spanish and (wood) shop class, and i dunno yet what we get in high school

-Rules? Policies?
really just the dress code.... oh yea, no hugging/kissing and you can't be caught with your cell phone on during school hours, even if it's silent.

eight periods, two lunches. really a lot like typical school, i guess.

some days it is, some days it isn't. the rice always teastes funny and they got rid of tater tots and french fries. and we don't really get fresh fruit.

Snow Decorator

yes...been wearin it since 6th grade
nope...they don't care anymore..all they say is "Even if u don't learn i still get paid" but u do have teachers there for you some at least
2nd yr high skool student>.<
-Rules? Policies?
yea too much to list...but it's all bull so blah>.<
get up
go to skool
go to class
sit and wait till everybody shut up
do my work~ppl still talking...gets annoyed~
turn my work in
do my assigned hmwrk for that class or another~likes to be ahead~
then if im lucky enough and i still have alota time left
......i go to sleep until the bell rings....
.......skools not fun....especially down here.....

well in my skool kinda....i mean thats if u like waiting in line for a long....long....long...long...long time....then u get leftovers>.< xp
which suks...and the main reason i don't go to lunch anymore
I live in the midwestern United States, but I've gone to private schools my whole life (including college).

Nope, never at any of my schools. There was discussion on it in high school, but they just made the dress code stricter.

It depended on the teacher! I don't think I ever had a particularly strict teacher, but then, I always got my work done and such, so no one was worried about me. (Except sophomore year English. I actually scared that teacher. She was a weenie.)

Err, I went to the same school from kindergarten through eighth grade, so I don't really know how elementary/secondary works. However, we pretty much just had typical classes + religion, of course (Bible history, Catechism, hymnology, etc.) Classes 1&2 were in the same room, and 3&4, 5&6, 7&8, so while the other class was having... class, you were supposed to be doing work. There was rarely any homework because of this. We had reading, English, science maybe once a week, math, music, gym, and religion. I can't think of anything else... If you were in advanced math in 5th or 7th grade, you just had math class with the class above you; in 6th and 8th grade, you had to work on your own. Music and gym combined 3rd, 4th, and 5th or 6th, 7th, and 8th.
We didn't really have the manpower or time to have any special classes.

-Rules? Policies?
Err... just the regular stuff, I think. The only thing that I minded was no open campus ever in high school, not even for seniors.

Now, in college?
Wake up, decided if I want to go to class. Usually decide I should. Get to class. Do class-like stuff. Go to another class if I have one... otherwise, go home and do homework.
College is boring.

In high school, our lunches were amazing. Grade school... meh.
~Nope.
~Not strict at all. They joke around with us. We meet up at a local dinner for coffee sometimes.
~Science, History, Math, Library time!, Art, Music.
-Rules? Policies?
~In Elementary school? The basic no hitting and all that.
~In High school? No drugs, no knives.
~Talk for about a half hour in the morning...catch up on yesterday. Do some work. 5 minute break. Go to next class, do some work. Watch some stuff. Do a test maybe. Lunch time/smoke time. Go to next class, do some work for maybe a half hour and goof off for the rest of it...while still doing work.
~It's not terrible here...but it's not that great.

~Disclaimer~
I go to an alternative school because I screwed up in normal high school...so it's a lot more lax.
The people who go to my school are the kids who live on their own with jobs, the prego girls, the kids that got in trouble too many times or the ones like myself who just couldn't do regular high school...well...they could have...but they decided to skip out all the time instead...and be a vagrant while they were there.

sweatdrop

6,450 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Consumer 100
  • Gaian 50
I'm from Canada! Ontario if you will =)

Do you have school uniforms?
High School: YEES! And they are uuuuugly! "Taupe" coloured pants and navy blue polo shirts or white blouses. It used to be white polo shirts, but since our school colours are blue and gold, they changed the shirts to blue. Blech. Rugby shirt is Navy blue with "taupe" and white stripes. Very ugly.

In Elementary schools though, you don't have to wear a uniform unless you are in a private school.
Same goes to middle schools I believe. But I've never been to one so I wouldn't know!

All Catholic high schools have uniforms, and of course, depending on the school's colours, will depict the colour of their uniforms. Black pants rule them all, as do grey shirts. But some schools have green, purple, maroon.. It's quite torturous!

How strict are the teachers?
My teachers are SOFT. Like you have no idea. There is.. 150 staff, teachers, and I'd say about.. 2/10 are "strict." All the rest are very laid back, but just do your work. It's all they ask.

What classes do you take in elementary/secondary schooling?
Elementary School: (depending if it is a Catholic school or not, you'd be taking religion), "S.E.S", Science, Math, English, History, Phys. Ed, Art, Drama, French (since this is Canada, of course) annd.. Something else that I'm not sure I remember.

High School: MANDATORY: 4 English, 4 Religion (If you're in a Catholic school), 3 Math, 2 Science, 1 Phys. Ed, 1 Art, 1 Second Language (French is mandatory in grade 9, but other than that, in the later grades, my school offers Italian and Spanish), 1 Geography and 1 History. Each worth one credit. You also have to have a Civics/Careers credit (each worth .5 of a credit, but you do both classes in one sem). After that, you need a total of 30 credits to graduate, which you make up with whatever electives you wish. 32 credits is the max you can get in day school (4 years, 8 semesters. (1 Year = 2 Semesters = 8 Classes (4 per semester). In grade 12 though, you are allowed to have two spares, so you would have 6 classes in total, that is why you only need 30 credits to graduate. =) Phewf, very long.

Rules? Policies?
Umm.. No hats in the school at all. No "PEDs" (Personal Electronic Decives.. ie. iPod, Video Games, Cell Phones, lap tops, umm.. Yeah). But we do it anyways.. Umm. No "Gang" related clothing. Running in the halls? Pfft, that rule is so elementary. We beat up people in the halls. >.> I can't think of any right now, because I'm a good girl. =) Oh, no smoking on school grounds. No loud music in parking lots. Basically, no fun.

What is a typical day of school like?
Warning bell: 7:55am.
School starts: 8:00am (You're in your 1st period class right now)
End of 1st: 9:18am (75 min of class)
Start of 2nd: 9:23am (5 Minutes to go to locker/get to next class)
End of 2nd: 10:38am
Start of 3rd: 10:41am
End of 3rd: 11:58am
Start of 4th: 12:01pm
End of 4th: 1:18pm
Start of 5th: 1:23pm
End of 5th and End of School Day: 2:38pm

Now, weird that I mentioned no lunch, right? Well, since it's 5 periods in a day and you only have 4 classes, one of those periods is your lunch. You get a whole 75 min of lunch! Yay! We used to have 40 min, but the population of the school was too big (it used to be "ABC" lunch with 4 periods, and we had a population of .. 1500? Now we have 2400).

For elementary..
Day starts at.. 8:00am, 8:30am, 9:00am, 9:30am.. Depending on school.
Recess: Normally an hour and 45 min later. Lasts 15 min.
Lunch: About an hour and 45 min after recess. 20 min to eat, 40 min outside.
Recess: Same as before. 15 min.
School ends: 2:30pm, 3:00pm, 3:30pm, 4:00pm..
At least I think that's how it went.. I don't remember :'(

Is lunch as bad over there as it is here? xD
Actually, it's not neutral Lunch is pretty good. No mystery meat or weird moving foods, just normal food, that tastes good and is addicting. BUT THE PRICES?! JEEEEEEZE! That's a whole 'nother story.
When the school was built 3 years ago, my first year, grade 9, the price for a small fries was 1 dollar and 35 cents ($1.35).. Now.. 3 years LATER.. The price for a small? I think it was either $2.00 or $2.35.. I'm not to sure. 3 years, one dollar. THAT IS RIDICULOUS!! INSANE!! MAD!!
A small cookie, like as small as you get in a box of Chips Ahoy cookies, used to be 15 cents. They were homemade. NOW? 45 cents.
Like, we're made of money or something? Pfft..

That's my school for ya.
Do you have school uniforms?ya,if ur not wearing it u hav to go home,and u cant mix regular scool cloth,with p.e. cloth
-How strict are the teachers?nice,but still teachers,but they take action when needed
-What classes do you take in elementary/secondary schooling? science;web;chess;choir...
-Rules? Policies?no harresment;touching(or )no foul language;be on time,and many more
-What is a typical day of school like? tiring-one mile is between each class,and u hav 2 go to ur locker,and change off ur books
-Is lunch as bad over there as it is here? here where,we can either bring our own lunches,or prepay for quiznos burger k ,dairy queen,mcdonalds,sub way,pizza hut,taco bell,dominos,but usually fridays r pizza,andhot lunch is on monday and wednesday.tues and thurs u bring ur own.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff