Welcome to Gaia! ::

(( Sorry, I was in a bit of a rush and didn't really put anything here. Well, I will now.))

Okay, Well I want to go to Japan for my senior year of highschool, but it requires me to leave in March ((And I don't really get out of school until June)). I asked my counselor like maybe a question or two, but she wasn't any help, really. So, I hope you Gaians can help me. So here are the questions I really want answered.

In your oppinion, which program should I use? AFS or ASSE? ((Links will be at the bottom of this post.))

If I go during my senior year, will I graduate officially, will I be able to recieve a diploma?

Will my one year in high school in Japan, still count as a year of high school here in America?

Do I need a reference or voucher of some sort?

www.asse.com www.afs.org

(( I'll add more questions later.))
You can take your SATs whenever. Just as long as it's before you try and get into college.

As for the second question, I really can't help because I didn't actually go until college.
If you have enough credits to graduate then yes. Otherwise you better check with your school counselor to find out what your options are.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
You can take SATs overseas. xP

My Japanese friends are doing it here in Australia, for entry into Japanese universities.

I don't know about the American school system though.

11,500 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Hive Mind 200
Most of the people I've spoken to who have done a whole year of high school in Japan said they went after they graduated from high school. I don't think the school work would count mostly because it will be all in Japanese and depending on your language level and your schools understanding of Japanese and relationship with the school you went to, it might not happen.

It might count if you could attend an international school in Japan. At least I know for colleges they seem to accept courses taken here. There are many one year foreign students from sister schools in the US that come to my school in Japan. They've told me that all the classes are usually transferable when they asked the school about it.

If I were you, I would look into study abroad programs that are at international schools, that way you will be in Japan and you will still somewhat of an experience. The high school classes and school systems are really different from the US... at least that is what I have noticed in most of my college courses about teaching in Japanese schools.
I'm an AFSer, leaving for Paraguay in 29 days (not that I'm counting or anything ^^).

Grades almost never transfer from your year abroad. Occasionally credits will, but almost never grades. Try to graduate early if you can, or do your year abroad as a gap year. Also, the deadlines are rapidly approaching for the AFS programs that leave this summer/fall. The application is equivalent to a college application, and takes a while. You're also going to need doctors appointments, interviews, letters of recommendation, and such. I don't know what you mean about years of school "counting." My district goes on credits, not years, as I believe most districts do. I don't know if you can be gone for second semester senior year and still graduate. Like I said, graduate early, or go for the first semester of your senior year. Also look into summer programs if the school programs don't fit. What year of high school are you in now?

pleasepleasepleaseplease don't be so set in your country choice. There are tons of great "off the beaten path" countries that you may never get to live in again, and most of them have GREAT scholarships available. Some of the main things they look for in your application and interviews are flexibility, adaptability, and open-mindedness, and being dead-set on one country does NOT show this. There are only a certain number of people that can go to each country from each country due to government restrictions. Nearly every university offers programs to Japan, but when are you going to get the chance to go to Malaysia or Finland or Honduras or Tunisia again?

http://www.cultures-shocked.org/Joomla/forum/index.php is a great forum for exchangers.

Also, check out RYE, YFU, NSLI, or LPI. I'm obviously not as familiar with them as I am with AFS, but people on cultures-shocked will be.
STAY AWAY FROM TWU!

http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/study-abroad/two-worlds-united-36786.html
http://www.cultures-shocked.org/Joomla/forum/showthread.php?t=225

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out