• Novice Egg Hunter 50
  • Determined Egg Hunter 150
  • Unstoppable Egg Hunter 250
schweinhunde
Moin leude... Ich bin neu hier.... sweatdrop

Willkommen.
Waldbraut
D1g1t4l_Ash
Hat jemand Der Zauberberg gelesen? Ich habe er es (referring to "das Buch" or "ihn" if you want to refer to the title) auf Englisch gelesen. Was denkst du von das dem Buch?

Also, I should mention, I am trying to improve my German, so please, feel free to correct me if you see any mistakes.

Ich habe leider noch gar nichts von den Manns (Thomas Mann, Heinrich Mann etc.) gelesen... sweatdrop Ich lese im Moment "Stiller" von Max Frisch (einer meiner Lieblingsautoren). Ich hatte mir auch zur Hälfte "Die Verwandlung" von Franz Kafka als Hörbuch (audio book) angehört; das Buch hat mir so weit sehr gefallen. Vor etwa einem Jahr hatte ich auch noch begonnen, "Die Vermessung der Welt" von Daniel Kehlmann zu lesen, aber ich habe nach der Hälfte aufgehört; vielleicht lese ich es später weiter.

I actually can't really say, which book would be good to get into German literature, because all of my favorite authors tend to use more complicated and elegant sentences, which would be hard to fully grasp and comprehend for a learner (sometimes it's even hard for a natural speaker to fully grasp every sentence).

I guess "Also sprach Zarathustra" is not that hard to understand when it comes to the refined use of language/linguistcs in his works, but he uses a lot of symbols and metaphors, which could make it hard to really grasp what he wants to say.

("hat mir so weit sehr gefallen" Is that an idiom? Literally it's just "the book to me so far has very fallen" right? But google translate is giving me "I really liked the book so far." I'm a little lost...)

Ja, ich konnte nicht Der Zauberberg auf Deutsch lesen, es ist unmöglich. Ich kann kaum auf Englisch es gelesen, Hahaha. Es ist ähnlich eine Deutsche Moby d**k. Jedoch, Ich habe The Hobbit auf Deutsch. Vielleicht ich werde das gelesen, nach mehr Zeit auf diesem Forum. (Dative case done correctly!? Please tell me I got that right!)

Welcoming Receiver

D1g1t4l_Ash
Waldbraut
D1g1t4l_Ash
Hat jemand Der Zauberberg gelesen? Ich habe er es (referring to "das Buch" or "ihn" if you want to refer to the title) auf Englisch gelesen. Was denkst du von das dem Buch?

Also, I should mention, I am trying to improve my German, so please, feel free to correct me if you see any mistakes.

Ich habe leider noch gar nichts von den Manns (Thomas Mann, Heinrich Mann etc.) gelesen... sweatdrop Ich lese im Moment "Stiller" von Max Frisch (einer meiner Lieblingsautoren). Ich hatte mir auch zur Hälfte "Die Verwandlung" von Franz Kafka als Hörbuch (audio book) angehört; das Buch hat mir so weit sehr gefallen. Vor etwa einem Jahr hatte ich auch noch begonnen, "Die Vermessung der Welt" von Daniel Kehlmann zu lesen, aber ich habe nach der Hälfte aufgehört; vielleicht lese ich es später weiter.

I actually can't really say, which book would be good to get into German literature, because all of my favorite authors tend to use more complicated and elegant sentences, which would be hard to fully grasp and comprehend for a learner (sometimes it's even hard for a natural speaker to fully grasp every sentence).

I guess "Also sprach Zarathustra" is not that hard to understand when it comes to the refined use of language/linguistcs in his works, but he uses a lot of symbols and metaphors, which could make it hard to really grasp what he wants to say.

("hat mir so weit sehr gefallen" Is that an idiom? Literally it's just "the book to me so far has very fallen" right? But google translate is giving me "I really liked the book so far." I'm a little lost...)

Ja, ich konnte nicht Der Zauberberg nicht auf Deutsch lesen, es ist unmöglich. Ich kann es kaum auf Englisch es gelesen, Hahaha. Es ist ähnlich eine Deutsche Moby d**k. Jedoch, Ich habe The Hobbit auf Deutsch. Vielleicht werde ich werde das gelesen, nach mehr Zeit auf diesem Forum. (Dative case done correctly!? Please tell me I got that right!)

Google is right. It means I liked the book so far. "Gefallen" is not the participle of "fallen" in this sentence, because it's used with a personal pronoun (mir). I know it's confusing, but "gefallen" is always "to like" if it's used with a pronoun like "mir", "Dir", "ihm/ihr", "uns" etc. "fallen" in the sense "to fall" would be something with the auxiliary "sein" as in "Ich bin gefallen" or "Das Buch ist gefallen". Then we're having a perfect tense (pretty similar in English, like 'I have fallen' except for a different auxiliary).

You got your dative right, but formed the future tense incorrectly. You don't need a participle for that, you can just use infinite verb (Ich werde das Buch lesen; Sie wird etwas lesen; Wir werden etwas lernen etc). Regarding syntax, the predicate/verb is always on the second spot of word order in a sentence, so if you start your sentence with "Vielleicht", you don't put the pronoun before, but behind the conjugated verb (verb must be second place): "Vielleicht werde ich es später lesen; Morgen wird er seine Aufgaben machen; Unter Umständen können wir gar nicht zur Party kommen" which is tricky, because some expressions for time or likelihood are longer than one word, but still count like a word in a sentence; those are idioms then, they have an adverbial function (expressing time, likelihood, causal nexus and place) and they stay pretty much the same in themselves.
Waldbraut
D1g1t4l_Ash
Waldbraut
D1g1t4l_Ash

Ja, ich konnte nicht Der Zauberberg nicht auf Deutsch lesen, es ist unmöglich. Ich kann es kaum auf Englisch es gelesen, Hahaha. Es ist ähnlich eine Deutsche Moby d**k. Jedoch, Ich habe The Hobbit auf Deutsch. Vielleicht werde ich werde das gelesen, nach mehr Zeit auf diesem Forum. (Dative case done correctly!? Please tell me I got that right!)

Google is right. It means I liked the book so far. "Gefallen" is not the participle of "fallen" in this sentence, because it's used with a personal pronoun (mir). I know it's confusing, but "gefallen" is always "to like" if it's used with a pronoun like "mir", "Dir", "ihm/ihr", "uns" etc. "fallen" in the sense "to fall" would be something with the auxiliary "sein" as in "Ich bin gefallen" or "Das Buch ist gefallen". Then we're having a perfect tense (pretty similar in English, like 'I have fallen' except for a different auxiliary).

You got your dative right, but formed the future tense incorrectly. You don't need a participle for that, you can just use infinite verb (Ich werde das Buch lesen; Sie wird etwas lesen; Wir werden etwas lernen etc). Regarding syntax, the predicate/verb is always on the second spot of word order in a sentence, so if you start your sentence with "Vielleicht", you don't put the pronoun before, but behind the conjugated verb (verb must be second place): "Vielleicht werde ich es später lesen; Morgen wird er seine Aufgaben machen; Unter Umständen können wir gar nicht zur Party kommen" which is tricky, because some expressions for time or likelihood are longer than one word, but still count like a word in a sentence; those are idioms then, they have an adverbial function (expressing time, likelihood, causal nexus and place) and they stay pretty much the same in themselves.

Oh, so I guess "gefallen" is it's own infinitive verb, it just happens to look like the past tense for "fallen." Weird. German seems to have very little homonyms, but when I encounter them, they can be confusing.

Yeah, as soon as I saw you corrected me on using "gelesen" with "werde" I realized what I did wrong. It's like I was trying to speak in the future tense and the past tense at the same time, woops. And the syntax will probably take me a minute. I know the verb always comes second, and the subject comes first. I guess it's my English syntax bleeding through and screwing me up, since "Vielleicht ich werde lesen" is how you would say it in English... (Perhaps I will read)

Was liest du mehr? Ich habe "Grimm's Complete Fairytales" (auf English auch), und liebe ich Kurt Vonnegut, Bukowski, Philip Pullman... Liest du viele Amerikanische Autoren?
Hat jemand die Band, Der Raketenhund von gehört?

Jolly Genius

20,825 Points
  • Novice Egg Hunter 50
D1g1t4l_Ash

Also ich noch nicht.
Yona_Babe
D1g1t4l_Ash

Also ich noch nicht.

(Please feel free to correct any of my German, I am trying to get better.)

Ich habe ihre Liedtext übersetzen versucht, aber ist es sehr schwer sweatdrop

Vielleicht sollte ich etwas einfacher versuchen.

Jolly Genius

20,825 Points
  • Novice Egg Hunter 50
D1g1t4l_Ash
Yona_Babe
D1g1t4l_Ash

Also ich noch nicht.

Okay. Then it would be "Hat schonmal jemand was von der Band Raketenhund gehört?"
and "Ich habe ihre Songtexte zu übersetzen versucht..."

Liedtexte schreibt man, glaube ich, gar nicht.

"Vielleicht sollte ich etwas einfacheres versuchen."

Ich habe mal gegoogelt. Das scheint ne Indie Band gewesen zu sein mit sehr politisch geprägten Texten, die man auch echt schwer übersetzen kann.
Yona_Babe
D1g1t4l_Ash
Yona_Babe
D1g1t4l_Ash

Also ich noch nicht.

Okay. Then it would be "Hat schonmal jeman was von der Band Raketenhund gehört?"
and "Ich habe ihre Songtexte zu übersetzen versucht..."

Liedtexte schreibt man, glaube ich, gar nicht.

"Vielleicht sollte ich etwas einfacheres versuchen."

Ich habe mal gegoogelt. Das scheint ne Indie Band gewesen zu sein mit sehr politisch geprägten Texten, die man auch echt schwer übersetzen kann.

Man, German syntax is hard gonk

Just for laughs, I was taking German lyrics, translating all of the words I didn't know, and then trying to make sense of the literal translation. I took "Du machst die Augen einfach zu gegen allzu Schnelles Flimmern, aber du sollst dich jetzt entscheiden." and translated it into "You make the eyes something you quickly present in a flicker, but you will now decided." Actually, this is a much better translation than what I first got, but it's still confusing...

Ich solle zurück zu Wir Sind Helden kehren. Ihre sind Songtexte einfacher verstehen.

Jolly Genius

20,825 Points
  • Novice Egg Hunter 50
D1g1t4l_Ash

Man, German syntax is hard gonk

Just for laughs, I was taking German lyrics, translating all of the words I didn't know, and then trying to make sense of the literal translation. I took "Du machst die Augen einfach zu gegen allzu Schnelles Flimmern, aber du sollst dich jetzt entscheiden." and translated it into "You make the eyes something you quickly present in a flicker, but you will now decided." Actually, this is a much better translation than what I first got, but it's still confusing...

Ich solle zurück zu Wir Sind Helden kehren. Ihre sind Songtexte einfacher verstehen.

;D Once somebody said, that german is one of the hardest languages to learn. The creepy thing is, that many foreigners trying to learn german are way better then the german youth is nowadays.

"You close your eyes to prevent to fast flickering. but you got to decide now" ??? If a person suffers from photosensitive disorder, like I do (thank goodness non epileptical), it would be the moment, shortly before I have to decide to close my eyes, to prevent to get sick. But I don't know, if it was ment that way. XD

This is a good page for translation. You also can translate idioms.
http://www.dict.cc/?s=tassen+im+schrank
haha, i always have to laugh, when i think about idioms been translated literally.

you are standing on a hose; you haven't got all your cups in your cupboard; all i understand is railwaystation; here's totally dead trousers; you have a crack in the bowl; you're on the woodway, she's got a lot of wood outside the hut, it's pouring out of buckets; there my nozzle is going; you'e seen horses vomit infront of the pharmacy... XD

Jolly Genius

20,825 Points
  • Novice Egg Hunter 50
Wow, Du lebst noch? XD

oOMaiden RoseOo
haha, i always have to laugh, when i think about idioms been translated literally.

you are standing on a hose; you haven't got all your cups in your cupboard; all i understand is railwaystation; here's totally dead trousers; you have a crack in the bowl; you're on the woodway, she's got a lot of wood outside the hut, it's pouring out of buckets; there my nozzle is going; you'e seen horses vomit infront of the pharmacy... XD

XD

Being sourpotty XD
Yona_Babe
Wow, Du lebst noch? XD

immer mal wieder |XD

he's got nothing on the pan rofl

Jolly Genius

20,825 Points
  • Novice Egg Hunter 50
XD