Welcome to Gaia! ::

Jersey...

SUCKS! 0.090909090909091 9.1% [ 1 ]
Is the best. 0.27272727272727 27.3% [ 3 ]
Is a state? 0 0.0% [ 0 ]
You say coffee wierd. 0.27272727272727 27.3% [ 3 ]
Whatever. Gold! 0.36363636363636 36.4% [ 4 ]
Total Votes:[ 11 ]

Yeah me and my friend we're over this guys house playing Halo live, and these hicks could tell immediately that we were from South Jersey.

Anyone from the States or any other country who have heard someone from Jersey talk, do we really have a strong accent? Any other comments on Jersey?

I like to hear opinions on Jersey :3

Well, my family and I were driving to...Ohio I think. And we stopped to have lunch and our waitress almost instantly asked us if we were from Jersey. I never really thought we had obvious accents. >>;

Haha yeah I went to western PA visiting my cousins, and everyone in the entire town knew exactly where I was from. I was like huh? I thought you were the ones with the funny accents!

Can't say.

I've never been to Jersey.
Oh, we do NOT.
Just kidding, Jerseyans prolly do. Even different parts of NJ. I've learned that North Jerseyans say Jersey "Joisey" and other such similar wordings. Central NJ, I believe has such diversity how ppl speak gets mushed together. The overflow of immigrants from NYC come into here. X)

I was born in NYC and I'm now in central Jersey, but I don't consider to have an accent unless I go to India and then my cousins laugh when I talk too fast.
razz
I live in central Jersey...

No one in Jersey says 'Joisey'. Doesn't exist.

Near Philly, people have a similar accent, with things like 'awn' (on) and 'cawfee' (coffee).

For me, I have a neutral accent from a mix of New York and Philly... and interesting Jersey thing is actually changing 't' and 'd' before 'r' into 'ch' and 'j'. So I say 'chrue' (true) and 'jrawer' (drawer).

Up north, there are tons of different accents, some affected by NY more, and some less.

I plan to do a dialect study soon... =] I'm a linguistics minor.

(For reference to other Jerseyans, I'm from Ocean county)

Haha well I'm right near Philly, so I say 'awn'(on), 'chrue'(true),'jeet yet?'(did you eat yet?),'cawfee'(coffee), cah(car)

And so on hahaha.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces