Welcome to Gaia! ::

I really wasn't sure which forum this would belong in, but I tried this one since the kotatsu table hails from Asia.

I bought a kotatsu table last year (I haven't got to use it yet. crying ) and I'm having trouble finding a proper futon for it.

I found one on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Kotatsu-Futon-Quilt-Mattress-Space-saving/dp/B002USBA7W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1391141670&sr=8-2&keywords=kotatsu+futon

But it doesn't look like the normal futon that you would see on a kotatsu. However, it is the cheapest one I've found which is good on my budget, but I also know that cheapest can usually come out being terrible. (It says $77, but you have to pay $78 in shipping.)

And then I found this one on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Japanese-Kotatsu-Futon-Set-Reversible-Fine2-Green-Table-Not-included-/281237208760?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item417b0b3eb8

Which looks like an authentic futon for the kotatsu! It costs $184 but you have to almost pay the same amount in shipping.

I just wondered if anyone else possibly owns a kotatsu and had the same problem and could probably give me some advice? I have a feeling that I need to go with the one from eBay, but I would like to make sure before I fork out the money for it.
I never had a futon for my kotatsu.. lol just pillows

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
Sorry, I can't remember what measurements ought to be, but long as it's long enough for your table, should be okay. Don't worry if it's a little under, it just won't drape as nicely. I did that for an oddly-shaped kotatsu.

If you're not aware -- a Japanese-made kotatsu built for Japanese wattage is a fire hazard in the US because the wattage is higher. If you don't have a transformer, you'll need one.
terradi
Sorry, I can't remember what measurements ought to be, but long as it's long enough for your table, should be okay. Don't worry if it's a little under, it just won't drape as nicely. I did that for an oddly-shaped kotatsu.

If you're not aware -- a Japanese-made kotatsu built for Japanese wattage is a fire hazard in the US because the wattage is higher. If you don't have a transformer, you'll need one.

I haven't really got to use my table yet so I haven't been able to check it out properly. Plus I bought it off of eBay from someone in the US so I may not have to worry about that but I was not aware of the whole fire hazard thing! Thank you so much!

Devoted Bookworm

16,250 Points
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
There should be information on wattage somewhere on the kotatsu. I have the same issue with a hot carpet I brought from Japan. Can't plug it in because it may catch fire ... so I'm waiting until I have a transformer to step down the wattage a bit.

If it wasn't a heated thing it probably wouldn't be as big a deal. Dunno. Most of the stuff I brought back was battery-powered or didn't use electricity at all, so I haven't tested out how much damage the US wattage system does to Japanese-bought products. I know I was told to just not bring appliances (rice cooker, vacuum) to the US because they wouldn't work there.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff