Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
What are you struggling with?
Sakura Latte

Aside from memorising, sentence structure is getting to me. Some sentences look like english and others look like jumbled messes. (Im a beginner) Would you happen to know good resources for learning?
Galactic Filth
Sakura Latte

Aside from memorising, sentence structure is getting to me. Some sentences look like english and others look like jumbled messes. (Im a beginner) Would you happen to know good resources for learning?

Vietnamese sentence structure is almost exactly like English (SOV format), with the exception that adjectives go after the noun that's being described. For example, let's take the sentence "I drive a black car." In Vietnamese, that would be "I drive a car black", or "Tôi lái xe đỏ."

Also, Vietnamese doesn't have any conjugations, so whether the sentence is talking about the present, past, or future largely depends on context. If you want your readers or listeners to know something happened in the past, you would say something like "hôm qua" (yesterday), "tuần trước" (last week; if you want to say "___ weeks ago", you'd say "(number in Vietnamese) tuần trước". Two weeks ago would be hai tuần trước, three weeks ago would be ba tuần trước, etc.), "ngày trước" (the day before), or any other time expression that indicates the past. To indicate the present or what you are doing right at the present moment, you can include "đang" in your sentence. For example, "I am driving" would be "tôi đang lái xe".

(I'm Vietnamese, for the record. But you can look up universities that teach Vietnamese and find out what books they use)

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
Galactic Filth
Sakura Latte

Unfortunately, no. I just picked up some of the grammar naturally as I was growing up from constantly listening to my parents and relatives. But generally, Vietnamese takes a SVO word order like English and lacks tense like Chinese languages.
Kim Pil-Suk
Galactic Filth
Sakura Latte

Vietnamese sentence structure is almost exactly like English (SOV format), with the exception that adjectives go after the noun that's being described. For example, let's take the sentence "I drive a black car." In Vietnamese, that would be "I drive a car black", or "Tôi lái xe đỏ."

Also, Vietnamese doesn't have any conjugations, so whether the sentence is talking about the present, past, or future largely depends on context. If you want your readers or listeners to know something happened in the past, you would say something like "hôm qua" (yesterday), "tuần trước" (last week; if you want to say "___ weeks ago", you'd say "(number in Vietnamese) tuần trước". Two weeks ago would be hai tuần trước, three weeks ago would be ba tuần trước, etc.), "ngày trước" (the day before), or any other time expression that indicates the past. To indicate the present or what you are doing right at the present moment, you can include "đang" in your sentence. For example, "I am driving" would be "tôi đang lái xe".

(I'm Vietnamese, for the record. But you can look up universities that teach Vietnamese and find out what books they use)

You're a saint, thank you so much.
Sakura Latte
Galactic Filth
Sakura Latte

Unfortunately, no. I just picked up some of the grammar naturally as I was growing up from constantly listening to my parents and relatives. But generally, Vietnamese takes a SVO word order like English and lacks tense like Chinese languages.

Thank you so much. This is really helpful to know.
Galactic Filth
Kim Pil-Suk
Galactic Filth
Sakura Latte

Whoops, I made a small error--Vietnamese word order is SVO, not SOV. The verb comes after the subject, not at the end of the sentence or phrase.
Kim Pil-Suk
Galactic Filth
Kim Pil-Suk
Galactic Filth
Sakura Latte

Whoops, I made a small error--Vietnamese word order is SVO, not SOV. The verb comes after the subject, not at the end of the sentence or phrase.

Still, very helpful to know! I really appreciate it
domdvt
2000 phrases English - Vietnamese by Nguyen Duc Trung
http://adf.ly/y4vIA

You're really rad, thank you

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items