Welcome to Gaia! ::

8,100 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Tycoon 200
  • Mark Twain 100
Curious to see how many people have tried to learn a language and have managed to fail at it?

I've put my Japanese learning on hiatus and I'm trying to find ways to motivate myself to start it back up.

Was wondering if anybody else had any experiences with really giving it your best in learning a language and what caused you to stop?

Alternatively, what keeps you motivated?

I'll keep checking up on this thread ^.^. Or quote me for a reply wink
Demotivations: Trying to have a simple conversation with a native speaker and utterly failing, having no one to explain certain grammar/vocabulary usage points to me

Motivations: Being genuinely helpful to people by interpreting/translating, having clear progress and improvement and checkpoints, being in classroom setting, meeting friends who speak the language in person

I'm pretty terrible at learning a language on my own, to be honest. I'm a lazy person and the lack of structure and punishment for failure really... makes it difficult. I mean, I never even memorized all of the Japanese kana until I actually took a class--and then I flew by them.

Wheezing Fatcat

I never had any problems at all with Spanish. I began studying it my first year of university and now, four years and a study-abroad later, I'd consider myself to be at a fairly fluent level.

However, teaching myself Finnish has been much harder:

Demotivators - lack of information available, not having a formal class setting, not having anyone with which to practice my skills

Motivators - the desire to one day live in Finland and converse with locals in the native tongue, the beauty of the language itself, the desire to be multilingual

Friendly Student

I want to learn french but I keep getting the small things wrong. What keeps me wanting to learn is the fact I think french culture is so cool!

Newbie Poster

4,950 Points
  • First step to fame 200
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Citizen 200
I would like to learn Japanese someday, but I think I will start with something easier, as Japanese is said to be one of the hardest to learn. My reason/motivation for wanting to learn it though is I love Japanese culture and I would love to be able to make friends with more people from there. Talking to them in their language. I think Japanese sounds so cool when people talk in it, and I'm highly attracted to Asian girls. I think it's hot when they speak in Japanese. Plus learning any new language in general expands your knowledge in life and makes you more worldly.

Lonely Genius

9,700 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Friendly 100
I'm trying to learn Japanese, Korean, and German.... o-o
Learning all of them at once is wayyyy too difficult/confusing.
Think I'm just gonna stick to German. 8D
It's hard though, knowing just how much it's gonna take it learn it all is depressing. xD Still fun to learn new words though.

Kawaii Shoujo

19,450 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
moon light dreamer11
I want to learn french but I keep getting the small things wrong. What keeps me wanting to learn is the fact I think french culture is so cool!

omg thiiiis. D:

My motivation is that I want to be able to eventually read the original French publication of Les Miserables.

Friendly Student

Sakura Parfait
moon light dreamer11

omg thiiiis. D:

My motivation is that I want to be able to eventually read the original French publication of Les Miserables.

Reading is my one okay point but it's still not great. I completely stink at just about everything else.
Reading the french version would be so cool!
I find it odd how in the movie all the characters have british accents.

Shy Noob

I started learning Japanese on my own from age 12. I firstly wanted to be able to read origami instructions that were not translated into English. From this I learned the patterns of short sentences and came to recognize the first few "letters" of my early "vocabulary" which turned out to be composed of both kana and kanji. I also wanted to know about second generation Pokémon before their information was released in English. So I learned Kana very fast by looking at their names, studying the new edition of trading cards as they were released, writing and reading the names out loud, guessing how they might be "English-ified" and obsessing over the excitement of the new generation. So something like knowing information you shouldn't - to a kid - very high motivation! biggrin

In high school I took up Spanish because it was the only language other than French which was offered (French doesn't work in my ears. Sorry, you French-lovers.) I took two years then quit because I could not stand the teacher. Continued to study it on my own and probably learned more than I would have in those silly classes, just by hard work and self-interest. This paid off in college when I took a school group trip to Central America and was the only student in my group able to converse freely with locals. Being able to communicate and get more specialized, personal knowledge is enough reward to motivate me.

Studied more on my own as I grew up, took Japanese classes in college, befriended several international students, had a great time, and then.. well.. since graduating I hardly ever study anymore. I had been to the point where I could watch a children's movie in Japanese without subtitles, looking up an occasional word or two, and intermediate level of conversational Spanish. And now it's reduced to the basics of both languages with frequent errors.

Now my boyfriend (recently ex crying ) is (was?) teaching me Swedish, his native language. It feels very intuitive and easy in my mind and I know if I applied myself, focused and really tried I could be near-fluent in a year or two, but for whatever reason I've not been able to focus.. sad

Language study is one of the great loves of my youth that feels like it's being lost as I grow up and become "too busy" with other activities.
I get demotivated when my american accent is made fun of when I try to speak dutch

Motivation: be able to buy groceries and not be nervous about checking out

Winner

My biggest motivation to learn Japanese is probably my friends.
And my future goals as one awesome backpack traveller or studying overseas.

Invisible Informer

Well, I fail a lot...but I always manage to keep going. I'm often put down by lack of resources (for Finnish, Estonian, and Icelandic) and I often fail to actually focus. With so many other things going on in my life, I feel like I don't have time for it.
I keep on it though, because I love the way the language sounds, the culture of the people, and I love learning. I enjoy talking to people about other places. :3 I am often ashamed of everyone in America (The people I know, and even my friends, don't even know that Japan isn't in Europe, and one friend told me today she was sure Poland was located in Germany.) and I try my hardest to distinguish myself from the..err..mentally dull community here. I also love music, and listening to a song in whatever language I want to learn usually keeps me going.
When I do feel overwhelmed with a language (like Finnish, where I can't keep my noun declension straight) I learn a little more of another. I know it's not good to learn languages all at the same time; I use phases, though, not cramming everything all in one. (One month it'll be Finnish, for another couple of months it'll be Dutch, and so on) I find it actually helps with my memorization of it.

Kawaii Shoujo

19,450 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
moon light dreamer11
Sakura Parfait
moon light dreamer11

omg thiiiis. D:

Reading is my one okay point but it's still not great. I completely stink at just about everything else.

That's because some of the actors playing them are British themselves. Plus, when it comes to singing, they're just rounding their vowels. Rounding your vowels when singing makes the sound much more clean and fuller as opposed to singing with spread vowels, which makes the sound weak.

Friendly Student

Sakura Parfait
moon light dreamer11
Sakura Parfait
moon light dreamer11

omg thiiiis. D:

That's because some of the actors playing them are British themselves. Plus, when it comes to singing, they're just rounding their vowels. Rounding your vowels when singing makes the sound much more clean and fuller as opposed to singing with spread vowels, which makes the sound weak.

I knew the singing thing. I just found it funny how they didn't try to through a french accent or something.

Caring Vet

19,200 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
moon light dreamer11
Sakura Parfait
moon light dreamer11
Sakura Parfait
moon light dreamer11

omg thiiiis. D:

I knew the singing thing. I just found it funny how they didn't try to through a french accent or something.

I know Sacha Baron Cohen started off Master of the House with a French accent, but he gave up on trying to do a French accent halfway through the song.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff