Welcome to Gaia! ::

Wheezing Sex Symbol

Does anyone have any good TV/Movie recommendations for a Chinese learner?
I've been learning for almost a year now
smile

Business Millionaire

Gong Xi Fat Chai

Wealthy Citizen

7,925 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Friendly 100
I'm currently in china & there's really no good TV/movies aside from either love s**t story or anti-Japanese occupation series.

Wheezing Sex Symbol

Mysterious Drifter
I'm currently in china & there's really no good TV/movies aside from either love s**t story or anti-Japanese occupation series.

"If you feel like it,
come with me."

Yeah that's the sucky thing about China.. not a lot of good movies/music/etc.
:(
Taiwan has some good stuff though, it's just hard to find.

"I will tell you a story.
I'll show you something."
-The Book Thief

Wealthy Citizen

7,925 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Friendly 100
Music Breaks Hearts
Mysterious Drifter

"If you feel like it,
come with me."

-The Book Thief

The people are just all talk. They keep saying "oh, we'll take on Japan any day" or "we'll reclaim Taiwan" yet this is the same country that told the world they had Avian influenza under control yet it spread world wide let alone it took 8 months and over 80,000 police & military officials to hunt a robber who robbed multiple banks in different provinces.

Wheezing Sex Symbol

Mysterious Drifter
Music Breaks Hearts
Mysterious Drifter

"If you feel like it,
come with me."

-The Book Thief

The people are just all talk. They keep saying "oh, we'll take on Japan any day" or "we'll reclaim Taiwan" yet this is the same country that told the world they had Avian influenza under control yet it spread world wide let alone it took 8 months and over 80,000 police & military officials to hunt a robber who robbed multiple banks in different provinces.

lol something in common with China, Russia and North Korea is that they love to pretend they're a lot better than they really are. China's ******** boss but a lot of it is facade and nostalgia on the "good old days" and what's traditional.
inb4 people telling me I don't know what I'm talking about, I lived in Northern China for a month with a host family

Ruthless Hunter

Ok so something more concrete-
Chinese Mainland dramas are pretty much all the same. All the good ones they make are the ones they do with Taiwan.
I recommend That Love Comes. (Link has English subs!)
It's a Taiwan & China collaboration, so it's pretty decent. The storyline is more like what you would find with a typical Taiwanese drama, though.
As for a movie, I would say most of them are historical, so if you're into that, definitely go for something like The Warlords. Also, a lot of people like the director Zhang Yimou, so try some of his films (like Curse of the Golden Flower, or To Live).
If you don't want a historical film, try So Young or Tiny Times.
Hope that helped! smile
Music Breaks Hearts
smile

Watching taiwanese drama's taught me to speak mandarin. It's one of the only methods that actually worked for me o:
I recommend Miss Rose (if you're into drama/romance/comedy) and Office Girls. You can watch it on Hulu.

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
How about Let's Go Watch the Meteor Shower? It's the unofficial Chinese adaptation of the popular Japanese drama series Hana Yori Dango if you've watched and liked that.

You could also try out Hana Kimi (Taiwan version), In Time with You, Autumn's Concerto, and Fated to Love You.

Yeah, a lot of Taiwanese dramas are romance. =w=

Tipsy Noob

Music Breaks Hearts
smile
The latest I've watched is Miss Rose. It's hard to find Chinese dramas with English Subtitles nowadays. Frustrating. You can also listen to songs. It helped xD

Virtuous Cleric

3,675 Points
  • Battle: Cleric 100
  • Battle: Counterstrike 150
Music Breaks Hearts
smile
I befriended a local computer technician and he used to teach me mandarin...he moved gonk

Invisible Fatcat

kan guo lai
Sakura Latte
How about Let's Go Watch the Meteor Shower? It's the unofficial Chinese adaptation of the popular Japanese drama series Hana Yori Dango if you've watched and liked that.

You could also try out Hana Kimi (Taiwan version), In Time with You, Autumn's Concerto, and Fated to Love You.

are you a chinese? o:

Benevolent Prophet

8,800 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Accounting Whiz 500
  • Millionaire 200
HuNan TV Entertainment on YouTube is pretty good, in my opinion. I really like Happy Camp. It has simplified subtitles and the five hosts come from different parts of the country, so there are slight differences in their speech which helps to familiarize yourself with them.

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
Matthaios
Sakura Latte

are you a chinese? o:

no? I've just watched a lot of Taiwanese dramas in the past.

Why do you ask?

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces