Welcome to Gaia! ::

Lover

Get your mack on. dramallama

Lover

Google 'Korean relationships'. I don't know how it works but it sounds unusual to be engaged in high school.

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
Geez I wonder where in SoCal you live, because I also live there and yet none of the high school districts in my city offers Japanese. My high school offered Korean and another offered Mandarin, but no Japanese. /had to take all her Japanese courses at a community college

But maybe it's just her? Do you know any other Korean students at your school? If so, you can try asking them the same questions you're asking us in your OP.
Hurricane Chrono
APPARENTLY SHE'S ENGAGED.

actually it's a polite way to say "I'm not interested in you at all, don't even try" and her ethnicity has nothing to do with it.

hth
heh u jelly
Hurricane Chrono
APPARENTLY SHE'S ENGAGED.

actually it's a polite way to say "I'm not interested in you at all, don't even try" and her ethnicity has nothing to do with it.

hth

I have to agree a bit. Maybe she is just no intrested.That stuff doesn't realy happen in korea...ever anymore realy.
Hurricane Chrono

I know for a fact they still occur in Japan, and very often at that,

say wut? Engagement in high school? In Japan? And often, at that?

Been living in this country 7 years and this is the first time I've heard of this. You must have some super-secret inside info or something.

Uh. Heh. No. It doesn't happen often. You might be thinking of omiai, or arranged marriage, which only happens these days with older adults who've just about missed the marriage boat. The younger crowd replaced it with konpa matchmaking parties, and marriages are almost always love marriages.

Sorry. Back to your question.

I don't know anything about Korean culture, but I doubt her ethnicity has anything to do with it. It could very well be that she is, in fact, actually engaged. There were some rare cases of people being engaged in high school. Actually, I was engaged in high school when I was a senior. Didn't end up marrying that person, if anyone's curious, but that's not the point.

However, I have heard that many Asian-Americans are very conservative and the parents don't let their kids - esp. daughters - date around. So maybe this girl and the other Korean girl are engaged so their parents don't berate them for being loose women?

Anyway, if she says she's spoken for, even if it's a way of saying she's not interested you in a round-about/dishonest way, it means, as sad as it is for you, that she's off limits. I'm sorry. sad

Ruthless Pyromaniac

14,650 Points
  • Firestarter 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Heckler 50
I think you might. You just have to find out more about this engagement and stuff. Do a little research. I don't think she would lie to you. I know a lot of stories about kids getting married right after high school and college.
It's not very common OP but it does still happen. You either got really unlucky or she's lying. Either way, I'd still give it a shot if I were in your shoes.
Hurricane Chrono

Actually, it wasn't her who said she was engaged.
So. surprised It was a polite way of saying nothing.
I have my resources.

do you always interrogate the people around a girl before you approach her? sounds kinda creepy...

also never forget: no means no.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces