Welcome to Gaia! ::

So when I was twelve, I decided I wanted to have a penpal, and I met some great people from around the world. I really liked talking to one boy though, he was Kwan Yang Woo from South Korea, I learned some interesting about South Korea and Korean Culture from him. Eventually he kind of disappeared because he wanted to concentrate harder on his studies.

I've had some bad experiences though, I remember one kid wanted me to help him sell stuff by shipping US products to him, which was too expensive for me to do. I remember he said he wanted my help because I was American and had to have that kind of money; I felt very insulted when I learned that was why he had contacted me in the first place. I was there to make friends, not business. </3

However, I kind of like the idea of having another penpal again, anyone know a good website?

Any Gaians have a penpal?
Do you ever consider it?
Have you visited one?
What are some of your experiences? Were they bad or good?
What have they taught you?
Why would you want one?
User Image

I used to. I had Eduardo, and he lived in Argentina. As well as Kentaro, and he lived in Osaka (or Okinawa, I can't remember).

Have you visited one?
    I would have loved to meet Eduardo! He was so cool and super smart!

Very good, I recommend if you're a language, having a pen pal will teach you so much more than just the language. The cultural knowledge obtain is priceless.

Eduardo, who was really into food, taught me all about the different foods of Argentina. We talked a lot (mostly in Spanish) about his country and compared to my own. Kentaro, who really liked baseball, was very happy to know that his favorite team is in my city. Although I don't know much about the sport, it was fun learning it from him.

Why would you want one?
    To learn about different parts of the world from a civilian's view, not just T.V. or books.

User Image
A I J I N Incubus
User Image

I used to. I had Eduardo, and he lived in Argentina. As well as Kentaro, and he lived in Osaka (or Okinawa, I can't remember).

Have you visited one?
    I would have loved to meet Eduardo! He was so cool and super smart!

Very good, I recommend if you're a language, having a pen pal will teach you so much more than just the language. The cultural knowledge obtain is priceless.

Eduardo, who was really into food, taught me all about the different foods of Argentina. We talked a lot (mostly in Spanish) about his country and compared to my own. Kentaro, who really liked baseball, was very happy to know that his favorite team is in my city. Although I don't know much about the sport, it was fun learning it from him.

Why would you want one?
    To learn about different parts of the world from a civilian's view, not just T.V. or books.

User Image

Oh man, I never got to ask Yang Woo about Korean food, but I had some awhile back and it's so spiiicy. But I can only find Korean BBQ places. D;
I wanted to visit Yang Woo, I was even thinking of picking up Korean just so I can go to Seoul, but he kinda vanished then. </3

Yeah, I want to look for a penpal now who can speak Cantonese, I want to pick up now and I get what you mean, he/she would teach me so much about the culture.

Did you find them or did they find you?
User Image

I love Korean food! There's a "Little Korea" where I live. I would love to learn Korean, but I'm just so busy with Spanish and Japanese.

I found Eduardo through my class, but Kentaro found me because I'm in a sister city to Osaka (so he had to be in Osaka). He was definitely very cool, and we had some similar interests. But both Eduardo and Kentaro disappeared. What I found interesting was that neither of them had been to the US before, so it was cool to ACTUALLY see someone interested in it XD!

User Image
A I J I N Incubus
User Image

I love Korean food! There's a "Little Korea" where I live. I would love to learn Korean, but I'm just so busy with Spanish and Japanese.

I found Eduardo through my class, but Kentaro found me because I'm in a sister city to Osaka (so he had to be in Osaka). He was definitely very cool, and we had some similar interests. But both Eduardo and Kentaro disappeared. What I found interesting was that neither of them had been to the US before, so it was cool to ACTUALLY see someone interested in it XD!

User Image

Sister City? O_O Oh, would San Francisco be one of them? I live here, and I remember we have a sister city in Japan, I just can't remember which city it is. I'd have to walk over to Japan Town when I go back to my apartment to see what it is. I would be happy to find a Little Korea, the BBQ was spicy but hell it was good! I would love love to eat more Korean food. I'm a foodie, what would you recommend? ;3
As for now, I don't really have a reason or motivation to learn Korean, but it sounds so purty it's on my list. You know, if I ever have time. x3

Sadness they left, sounds you really liked talking to Eduardo. Yang Woo emailed me first because he really just wanted to speak in English for practice, and to learn about American culture.
Oh, just looked it up online, San Francisco and Osaka are sister cities. Osaka has eight.
Did Kentaro happen to have liked the San Francisco Giants, yes? =]
User Image

HO s**t BAY AREA FTW!! Do you really live in San Francisco? I live in Oakland : DDD! Oh yes, and I love Japantown, and I love SF, and I love you ;__;. -has a hard time finding Bay Area folk-

There's a Little Korea in Oakland, but I'm not entirely sure if the food goes beyond barbeque ^__^;.

Kentaro sure did :3.

User Image
A I J I N Incubus
User Image

HO s**t BAY AREA FTW!! Do you really live in San Francisco? I live in Oakland : DDD! Oh yes, and I love Japantown, and I love SF, and I love you ;__;. -has a hard time finding Bay Area folk-

There's a Little Korea in Oakland, but I'm not entirely sure if the food goes beyond barbeque ^__^;.

Kentaro sure did :3.

User Image

HELLS YEAH BABY. ;3 And awww, how nice of you! I love my Bay Area Folk too! <3

I came from the North Bay Area to come study in San Francisco for my degree in animation. I have been in love with San Francisco from a young age and I am absolutely ticklish to live in San Francisco. I moved in in April of this year, and sure it has its gritty area, but I am so into learning new things, like cultures, and it's great to find all these areas and food. I have never had so many tastes of different foods before I came here. Where I live, there's a block on Fillmore that has some Korean goodies, right before Japan Town pops into view. Sadness a lot of the restaurants there would make me broke if I ate there everyday.

How's the Little Korea like? Where is it? Is it near BART?

My dad really likes the Giants, I wanna buy him tickets to a game someday.
User Image

Oh that is so great! So you live right up near Japantown. Yes, it's very close to BART. All you would have to do is take it to 12th street in Downtown Oakland, and walk a couple blocks through Chinatown, and there's this great restaurant called Don Don I think.

How lucky of you to live in SF :3! I would kill to move out there, but Oakland can be very nice too. I probably will some day.

Aww, that's so nice of you! My family has never been big on sports ^__^;.

User Image
A I J I N Incubus
User Image

Oh that is so great! So you live right up near Japantown. Yes, it's very close to BART. All you would have to do is take it to 12th street in Downtown Oakland, and walk a couple blocks through Chinatown, and there's this great restaurant called Don Don I think.

How lucky of you to live in SF :3! I would kill to move out there, but Oakland can be very nice too. I probably will some day.

Aww, that's so nice of you! My family has never been big on sports ^__^;.

User Image

Oh thank you! I will definitely save this for a day I urge for some Korean Food. Maybe bring a friend along. x3 I heard Oakland's Chinatown has some kind of food that is better than San Francisco's. (I forgot what though)

=D You actually can find nice places to live in San Francisco, but you kind of need roommates. Unless you have the money to live alone. gonk I live in student housing but I'm thinking of moving out, I'm kind of paying 900 bucks a month, I want to room with friends to lower it to 500 a month. Yeah.

I'm not big on sports either, but my dad always loves to watch the Oakland As and the San Francisco Giants.
User Image

Very nice :3. We might bump into each other. I live very close to Chinatown. Oh yes, Oakland's Chinatown has some amazing food. I don't know what they put in it, but it's delicious.

Yeah, that's why I haven't moved out there. The Bay Area in general is a very difficult place to find housing. It's just all so expensive. I heard they're building some affordable housing soon though.

User Image
A I J I N Incubus
User Image

Very nice :3. We might bump into each other. I live very close to Chinatown. Oh yes, Oakland's Chinatown has some amazing food. I don't know what they put in it, but it's delicious.

Yeah, that's why I haven't moved out there. The Bay Area in general is a very difficult place to find housing. It's just all so expensive. I heard they're building some affordable housing soon though.

User Image

Hehe, we might. :3

Yeah it's so damn expensive, I hate how expensive it is. ><

Affordable housing? I heard about the homes in the Bayview, I dunno about apartments though.

Sparkly Nerd

m o n s t e r V O M I T
There's actually a thread devoted for penpals in gaia.
The Gaian PenPal Project

I have never had one, well I almost did.
The person however stopped replying to emails before we even got to postal mail.
Now I'm just waiting to get another one.
-.-'
MONSTERVOMIT
m o n s t e r V O M I T
There's actually a thread devoted for penpals in gaia.
The Gaian PenPal Project

I have never had one, well I almost did.
The person however stopped replying to emails before we even got to postal mail.
Now I'm just waiting to get another one.
-.-'

Oh wow, I didn't know this existed! Thanks! This means a lot to me. :3

Yeah I hate when they go dry, but goodluck to you. =]

Sparkly Nerd

m o n s t e r V O M I T
No problem.
c:

Yeah, it sucks.
Thanks.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items