Welcome to Gaia! ::

i have the opportunity to go to japan for two weeks as a foreign exchange student.

my parents and and local businessmen would help me pay for the cost (about $2,500).

my family would host a japanese student for two weeks in march and then i would stay with that girl's family for two weeks in july.

about three female japanese students will be staying and about five male japanese (my family would only be able to host one girl).

in turn, my high school will send one girl and one boy, preferably in the junior grade (which i am).

i am, however, deathly afraid of being away from home and am deathly afraid of airplanes. i know this is an opportunity of a lifetime, but... i'm just not sure. i don't know why i'm so afraid.

keep in mind that i live just south of pennsylvania, so i'm looking at a 8 - 9 hour airplane ride to tokyo, japan.

._____.;;

can anyone give me helpful advice if you live in japan? what's it like?

8,350 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Overstocked 200
  • Forum Junior 100
User Image

I don't know what Japan's like, but I do know what flying is like.. and what it's like to be away from home. But you're younger than I, so I understand your concern. I don't know what to do about your fear of flying, I can only tell you that there really is nothing to be scared of. But that will probably be not enough to convince you.

Also, two weeks is not that long. You'll probably will want to stay longer once you're there!
A generic question like "What's X country like?" is very hard to provide detailed answers for..
How old are you? :3

I've flown by myself to China when I was 11, and I contracted a fever. sweatdrop

But not to worry~ If you are under 15 or something, you can organise a air hostess to specifically look after you throughout the flight. I had one, and she recorded everything I did, including toilet breaks. gonk

9 hours isn't that long. wink Though bring things to keep yourself busy. There should be in-flight movies, but iPods, DS's, PSP's, books or whatever should help you let the time go by quicker~
Well, I've never been to Tokyo before, although I do plan to one day.
But I have flown a lot in my life. I've flown from London to Amsterdam to Canada last year by myself, when I was 17. Which is a good 8 hour flight. Is isn't bad, they usually have lots of movies to watch and stuff. The noise is pretty good too, if your not right beside the engines. And they shut off the lights at night and everyone shuts up so you can sleep most of the way there too.
Would you be traveling by yourself? It's not bad, it is usually pretty easy to find your way around the airports and stuff. Or you can also get a attendant to meet you when you get off the plane.
I'm sure it would be fine. It sounds like a really good experience to have. You should go for it =3
User Image
depends where you go in Japan. I went to Europe for 3 weeks when I was 13. I was ok, so I say go for it if you have the chance. Japan is a really pretty country and it has good fooooood!!!!

[[Just like how I killed god]]
Tokyo is WONDERFUL! Studying there as a foreign exchange student was one of the most amazing experiences I've ever had. I only wish my time there would've lasted longer. It really is a culture a lot different from our own.

For the plane, I recommend an iPod and books or a laptop with decent battery life. There are movies shown on the planes as well, so that should help you keep your mind off of being so high up in the air. That, and the time goes by faster than you'd imagine... my flight was about fourteen hours.

I'm assuming you're high school age, so I am sure your host family will help you. Despite my college age, my host mom showed me to my school and how to work the trains. Since you're probably younger than me, I'm assuming your family will help you more.

For me, the hardest thing to grasp was the trains. There are MANY trains. You have to know exactly which train to get on and have to be careful not to get on the express trains if it does not go to your station. (I managed to get past the problem of getting lost on the trains and getting on express trains after a couple of days...) Since you're a girl, be careful for men on the trains. They will try to touch you or feel you inappropiately. I'm a short, thin blonde with blue eyes. who wore skirts... it happened to me daily. Ask them to stop and the usually do.

You'll do a lot of walking, so wear comfortable shoes.

Also, Tokyo is a VERY busy city. People everywhere. I'm a very short person, so I really tried hard not to get run over~! Hehe. However, people are very friendly and, realizing you're foreign, tend to be a little kinder.

Tokyo is a very safe city though. I'm from a small-ish town in Ohio and I felt safer walking around alone the big city there than I do walking around in parking lots to my car here.

Oh, and if you're buying a meal in the town, try to look for places that cost ï¿¥600-700ish or less. Anything over ï¿¥1,000 is TOO MUCH.

Finally, make sure you have spending money. *states the obvious*

Hopefully some of this helped you~! *accidently wrote a very long post* ^^;;
I am probably going to Japan too. neutral

Yay grandma, thank you for destroying my care-free 9th grade life.
I am going to an Aunt's House in Shizuoka.
On top of that, I'm REALLY in the beginner parts of Japanese.

And not as a foreign exchange student. But a normal one.
Uh..ugh.
so i'm guessing there's a pennsylvania in California?
I'm in Japan right now for a job and the flight I took from America was 12 hours. And it stayed daylight for the longest! I thought I as in some time warp. But it's not bad. Japan is an expensive place. The first flight i took I was a bit nervous. But it's not as bad as you would probably preceive it. Just make sure on your flight you sleep a lot and you've got some movies to watch, which are usually in the back of the headrest seat in front of you.

11,500 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Hive Mind 200
You should definitely go. Living in a foreign country away from people you know is a good way for you to grow and develop as an individual. I did an exchange program for the first time during the summer of my senior year, and it really set me straight. I'm actually living and going to a university in Japan now just because of finding my true love from doing a home stay in Japan.

Anyways, on to the list

Sense you are staying with a host family, always be on your best behavior. They may be "family" and tell you relax, be your self and help your self to the fridge, but still be polite and act as a guest. Don't take advantage of everything they tell you can do, make sure to always ask if something is ok, even if they said it was ok. Japanese people don't tend to be so open to people right away like Americans do. Example, don't go out and mention that your parents are divorced the first day you are there. This is something considered kind of personal and private, so they may be shocked if you mention something like that.

Be friendly and polite to everyone if possible. If you get homesick, try not be on your own all the time and lock yourself in your room. They will worry and it may be best to explain to them what is wrong and such. Also as an example of manners, if you have to do something with people or have any food, always offer it to them first. Also if you are served first at the table, either wait for everyone else or ask if you can eat first.

If you make friends and plan to do things with them, always tell your host family in advance. Your host family might plan stuff ahead for you to do with them, so don't just call and tell them your not coming home for dinner, plan it at least a day in advance.

Closeness to friends might not happen. Again, Japanese people are not like Americans and won't think of you as their best friend in a day. For me just at my college, it took me about a year to get to a level of closeness with friends to talk about family and such issues.

If you speak any Japanese to the family or friends etc, it is always impolite to give a direct "No". Japanese people never tend to say no to you right away, they tend to swerve around it and make it sound more like a yes. For example, if you ask if you can go out that night, they might reply as in "well, I was planning on making a pie tonight" (well it might not be exactly like that, but expect something indirect that usually won't contain the word no".

Also if your an anime freak, like the majority of foreigners that go to Japan, don't just blurt it out to everyone. Not everyone likes anime here, and might think of you as one of the stereotypical Americans that come to Japan, just because of anime and nothing else.... Also expect your host family to ask if you have a gun or if all Americans carry a gun. I was actually shocked when my host family asked me that questions, and I'm still shocked today when some people at my school ask me that question. sweatdrop

Also, just as a last note.... don't plan to buy a computer here... I just bought a dell here and I'm having a hard time adjusting to it. xp

Eloquent Bloodsucker

Oooh so go!!!

I will have the opportunity to go to Okinawa this Summer for 2 months to visit my family.

I am scared as well going on planes and I will be doing this trip by myself at 21.

I did fly from Tokyo to Texas, alone, which was about 14hrs. It was THE scariest moment in my life but I got through it in one piece. All you need to know is a few words in Japanese.. and speak English.. know how to ask for directions and rely on kind people.

Now if you will be staying with a host family, be on your best behavior. You are an ambassador of the US. How you act reflects on your country. It would be best to be polite and bow a lot. Ask a lot of questions and take off your shoes when you enter a home.

2 weeks will be a breeze. Thats no time at all. You will be flying it then flying out in a flash. You will have so much fun and the cultural exchange is a good experience.
i'd go! =D
just look at it this way.
in one day there are more people dying in car wrecks then in plane crashes.
so you're more at risk of getting in an accident while driving in a car than riding in a plane.

and plus flying in a plane isn't bad at all =D
I was born in japan and I'v allwase lived there but rigyht now I live in canada but I'll just tell you about japan..well basicly japan is like america exept for the diforing candy bars and stuff..sex is seen in a diforint way and alot more things are eccepted but at the same time alot less things people in japan tend to stay in a group and thay don't want to get notised,one of the most popular saying in japan is: the nail the sticks out gets haperd down,I'm shor you can fige out that one.. if you like anime and video games japan is defenetly the place to go but you can expect alot of calyural things as well and wink and watch out for toilets!!! you will know what I mean about the toilest wen you get there haha but really don't pass the opertunaty you will really like it and the plain ride is a peace of cake just sleep and you'll be ok on the plain

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff