Welcome to Gaia! ::

I havent had to do it in years, but when I was dragged to my little brothers potluck last night they asked everyone to stand up for it. I remained seated and silent (the only one that did) and they kicked me out. they were like "im gonna have to ask you to leave." and i was like "why?" and they were like "because your setting a bad example for the kids." so i just waited in the car. i ******** hate fascism. stare

discuss:
do you pledge allegiance?

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
In college, no one does the pledge of allegiance anymore. It's great. ^^

But in elementary school, when we did the pledge of allegiance, I never put my right hand over the left part of my left chest. I'd stand up and face the flag, but I never put my right hand over the left part of my chest. I never spoke it either. I just kept my mouth shut.

Fashionable Explorer

i dont really know..
i do that tho mainly
coz every1 is
and the teacher yells at ppl who dont..
i think its pointless so ill either not stand up.. or ill stand up and just stand there and not say it. =)
1LitreofTears_Sakura

But in elementary school, when we did the pledge of allegiance, I never put my right hand over the left part of my left chest. I'd stand up and face the flag, but I never put my right hand over the left part of my chest. I never spoke it either. I just kept my mouth shut.

This is usually the right way to do it - I used to never stand up, either, but then I realized how dramatic and stupid that was. Even if you don't agree, there's no use to make a scene.

Feral Shapeshifter

i DO WHEN i'M ASKED TO.

5,500 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Befriended 100
Me and my best friend started refusing in the seventh grade. Our band teacher was pissed.

I not only have issue with "under God" but also seriously don't like "under the republic in which we stand" (is that right?) because the U.S. is supposed to be a DEMOCRACY not a republic! I don't want to live in a republic thank you very much!

5,500 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Befriended 100
cat__claw
1LitreofTears_Sakura

This is usually the right way to do it - I used to never stand up, either, but then I realized how dramatic and stupid that was. Even if you don't agree, there's no use to make a scene.

how is quietly not participating a "scene" !? eek Invest in a ******** dictionary!

Feral Shapeshifter

Susanna Kaysen
Me and my best friend started refusing in the seventh grade. Our band teacher was pissed.

I not only have issue with "under God" but also seriously don't like "under the republic in which we stand" (is that right?) because the U.S. is supposed to be a DEMOCRACY not a republic! I don't want to live in a republic thank you very much!

I hate to break it to you, but we are a democratic republic. In a democracy, majority rules EVERYTHING. If we were a pure democracy African Americans would have had to wait a lot longer for their rights, and gay people probably wouldn't have any rights at all.

Democrats and republicans once belonged to the same party.
Susanna Kaysen
cat__claw
1LitreofTears_Sakura

how is quietly not participating a "scene" !? eek Invest in a ******** dictionary!

The fact that you pissed off your band teacher, and that the OP was asked to leave, suggests a scene. You could have stood quietly, held your hands to your sides, and not said anything, and waited for everyone to finish. Instead, you sat down and drew attention to yourself, which is sort of childish.

Learn some ******** manners.

5,500 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Befriended 100
cat__claw
Susanna Kaysen
cat__claw
1LitreofTears_Sakura

The fact that you pissed off your band teacher, and that the OP was asked to leave, suggests a scene. You could have stood quietly, held your hands to your sides, and not said anything, and waited for everyone to finish. Instead, you sat down and drew attention to yourself, which is sort of childish.

Learn some ******** manners.

get a life! reading as you're making all this s**t up is boring me

5,500 Points
  • Window Shopper 100
  • First step to fame 200
  • Befriended 100
metarukaze
Susanna Kaysen

I hate to break it to you, but we are a democratic republic. In a democracy, majority rules EVERYTHING. If we were a pure democracy African Americans would have had to wait a lot longer for their rights, and gay people probably wouldn't have any rights at all.

whatever i didn't get to take government in HS the illegals did. i only know what i do from middle school and that was what i was taught. So go make yourself useful and reform the 7th grade curriculum for AZ schools while i wait for an opening in a charter school. Since your so ******** educated and have all this time to b***h me out.
Susanna Kaysen
metarukaze
Susanna Kaysen

whatever i didn't get to take government in HS the illegals did. i only know what i do from middle school and that was what i was taught. So go make yourself useful and reform the 7th grade curriculum for AZ schools while i wait for an opening in a charter school. Since your so ******** educated and have all this time to b***h me out.

There's something crucial you're missing if you couldn't take the time to even look up what a republic is.

–noun
1. a state in which the supreme power rests in the body of citizens entitled to vote and is exercised by representatives chosen directly or indirectly by them.
I'll stand and put my hand over my heart out of respect for the good people in my country. /Firefighters, police, people who help others and died so we could have rights.

It's not a feeling of dedication to America/country, but a respect for the people who died and are still putting their life on the line for others.
I don't say the pledge. Whether or not I will stand depends on the circumstances - in high school, I generally wouldn't, and on more than one occasion, a teacher threatened disciplinary measures and/or impact to my grade in her class. For the record, I sat quietly, she was the one who made a big issue of it.

For me, abstaining from the pledge has been a small sort of protest for the last several years. If I ever feel that we really are a nation with liberty and justice for all, then I might consider participating again, but even then... It just seems really fascist.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff