Welcome to Gaia! ::

<3 </3

Which language is better and easier?

German 0.5 50.0% [ 9 ]
French 0.5 50.0% [ 9 ]
Total Votes:[ 18 ]

Junior Seeker

I need to pick a foreign language for high school, and I have narrowed it down to German or French. Which should I take? Please state your reason why you like over the other.
Je parle francais! :3

Um, it's really up to you. I personally like French more... maybe that's 'cause it was mandatory grade 4-6 here and an option grade 7-12.
But what do you like more?
I like French better than German because I can find so many cognates with English.
Also, I find it easier to pronounce and it just flows better. German is more complicated, I think - having studied it about a month or so - there's about a million different meanings for "Sie" and you have to remember ALL the genders, even though you have to do that too with french.
Do what you want, but I believe German is more difficult.
(I learn French in school so naturally I find it more easy...)
Edit: Find some disney songs and compare them side by side German and French.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt7WvPfju7M&feature=related (German)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4e2jxwGTtpE (French)
sockss
I like French better than German because I can find so many cognates with English.
Lol. 'cause, y'know, there's no German influence on English at all. rolleyes

German is easier than French if the only language you currently speak is English. However, learning French will make it easier for you to learn other Romance languages.
Well u should take chinese! They affer it here!

Really i think they should offer romanian! But maybe dats bcze i am romanian! But yea i guess french cuz it sounds cool!

But romanian blows them all!

*romanian pride*

Junior Seeker

i wish i could take Chinese (since im FLUENT in it...) BUT, my school doesn't offer it.
I wasn't implying there wasn't any influence at all. But I was saying that French has a lot of cognates with both English and Spanish - which some people pick up while being around hispanic culture and people.
I just want to point out that German and English are based on the same language system. While French is a Romantic language, English and German are both Germanic languages.

So if you are solely basing your choice on difficulty, German all the way. In general I love German, and I learned it really easily. I think it's the best language over all actually. razz
Except maybe Swedish... but there isn't much point to learning that.
Quote:

I wasn't implying there wasn't any influence at all. But I was saying that French has a lot of cognates with both English and Spanish - which some people pick up while being around hispanic culture and people.

I figure I should point this out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_cognates_with_English

And a large number of the verbs are made by adding -en on the end of an English verb (though in most case the German came first and the English copied it).
German.
-They have good food.
-They invented shamwow.
-They tried to copy Coca Cola, and came up with Fanta.
:]

6,450 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Citizen 200
I'm taking spanish in school. (Random fact, nothing to do with this thread)

I, if I were you, would take German.
I find it to be the most beautiful language ever.
EVER!
I'm getting Rosetta Stone to learn it.
<3.
SurgicalxJello
German.
-They have good food.
-They invented shamwow.
-They tried to copy Coca Cola, and came up with Fanta.:]

Wow... didn't know that. Anything > Coca Cola anyday.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff