Welcome to Gaia! ::

fhgh
None are super close to English, because English is derived from both Latin and Greek, and we steal words from other languages all the time.

But, I'd recommend either Spanish or Italian.
For an English speaker, another Germanic language will make sense. I recommend Swedish, I've heard it's relatively easy, especially the verbs. English has a few words from Latin which would make Italian easy too, but to a lesser extent in my opinion.

Caring Vet

21,250 Points
  • Pet Lover 100
  • Bunny Hoarder 150
  • Cats vs Dogs 100
German, I think, is the closest to the English language.
Like it's been said, a Germanic language should be easier for you to learn. Because really, there are no more or less difficult languages. It depends on the ones you already know.

That aside. I tried learning a language alone once. Didn't work out.
I'm learning to play the piano now, much easier. whee
Kamirose
None are super close to English, because English is derived from both Latin and Greek, and we steal words from other languages all the time.

But, I'd recommend either Spanish or Italian.

I would agree. I'm learning Italian at the present moment, and I find it relly easy and enjoyable.

But it depends on your preferance. It's better to pick one you'll acctually want to learn, instead of picking it at random. You're more likely to keep at it if you like what you're learning.
Since 30 to 40% of the english words come from the french, I'd say it's the closest to english.
None the less, I guess that it might be difficult...

Swedish is, grammatically, really easy, and as a germanic language, somehow close to english.
I have done independent studies of German, Japanese, and Spanish. I have taken Spanish (2) and got to advanced for Japanese and they cut German out the year before I joined. I have done dabbles in Swedish, Korean, and Russian. What ever language you chose I wish you the best of luck. If you need help just contact me.
Good luck! Why don't you try Spanish??
The closest language to English is Scots. If you don't count Scots, because it's so close to English, the second most related is West Frisian. The most closely related language for which you will find plenty of materials would be Dutch.

Also, despite what several people above said, English is not "derived from Latin and Greek." English is a Germanic language, and its syntax is still Germanic, as are its basic words.
xx-lovelypartygirl-xx
Good luck! Why don't you try Spanish??

I love the way spanish is spoken in Spain, not Mexico. Their dialect is a lot more attractive sounding. I can't find a class around here where spanish is taught how they speak it there.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff