Welcome to Gaia! ::

Benevolent Reveler

Pugnacious Banana
moon light dreamer11
Pugnacious Banana
moon light dreamer11

Just Indian?
Probably because in my family when we tried to bake foods we typically fry something goes wrong with the taste and I haven't heard great things about haggis in the first place so it all just goes downhill in my mind. Is haggis good?
burning_eyes That sounds terrifying to try!
not just indian.
i love haggis. all types of haggis are good to me.
i love black pudding too.
i like haggis and black pudding and fried egg with brown sauce on a roll~

What does haggis taste like? =O
Somehow reading and picturing that made me shiver eek that food combo
Brown sauce? What is that?
Are haggis and blood pudding common? Like you could get them at McDonalds? Or are they thanksgiving type foods?
If it's meat why is it called pudding?
tastes like a spicy meat i guess ? sort of
brown sauce tastes like spices too, i think. i don't really know a lot about different spices that are in things.
haggis and black pudding are common breakfast items (and haggis is common at robert burns day for other meals). you can't get them at mcdonalds but you can get them at most local cafes around scottish places. also you can usually get fried battered haggis from chip shops.
pudding can be different things. christmas pudding is different from chocolate pudding right ? anyway i don't really know why it's called pudding if it's more like a sausage..

I feel like I have been missing out on so much food!
Spicy meat is typically good. =O something in me almost wants to try it.
I didn't know there was such a thing as Christmas pudding =O I wonder all the different kinds of puddings I haven't had.
Is blood pudding cooked? Is it suppose to be bloody? =O

Obsessive Man-Lover

27,675 Points
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Abomination 100
  • 50 Wins 150
moon light dreamer11

I didn't know there was such a thing as Christmas pudding =O I wonder all the different kinds of puddings I haven't had.
go try more food~
haggis is good. i think i ate haggis when i was little before i knew what it was made of so it never bothered me because i always liked it anyway.
you don't have christmas pudding there? emotion_8c
you have to cook blood pudding. it'd be pretty gross if you didn't. it's kind of a dark red colour when you cut into it but it's not like blood drips from it or anything.

Peculiar Doll

Haggis is yummy, and I don't think a cooked breakfast is complete without black pudding!
You can buy both at supermarkets, though I haven't had a decent haggis since I moved south.

Black pudding is a common food to have with cooked breakfasts - a cooked breakfast in my family means eggs, bacon, sausage, hash browns (and/or fried bread), mushrooms, tomatoes and black pudding. I don't make the full breakfast every day, as I do like other types of breakfast too. It seems common amongst the people at my university to make a full breakfast for housemates suffering with hangovers. Whenever foreign friends visit, they think black pudding sounds disgusting... But I've persuaded a few to try it and they've all enjoyed it.

I live in Oxford. I spent most of my childhood being raised in the North East of England (Teesside and Whitby) and in the East Midlands (Nottinghamshire - I lived in a town not far from Nottingham).

One thing I really miss about living near the coast (specifically Whitby) is eating winkles - google them if you don't know what they are, I don't think I could explain properly without drooling over them. They're really yummy to eat and you typically use a pin to get them out of the shell - we used to find little hermit crabs inside the shells sometimes, which always made me sad as a child.

Living in Nottinghamshire, my family started having venison for our Sunday roasts on occasion - before that we only had the usual four - beef, lamb, chicken or pork. The meal, in my family, consisted of the roast, potatoes cooked in two different ways (e.g. roasted and mashed) or boiled new potatoes and three or four different kinds of other vegetables (carrots, peas, parsnip, turnip, cabbage, sprouts, etc.) oh, and Yorkshire puddings.

Whilst most of my family, and many friends, seem to drown the food in gravy, my mother and I preferred to drown things in mint sauce, although sometimes apple or cranberry sauce. Sunday roasts are considered a family meal, even if people are busy during the week they will usually sit down to eat it together. I was taught how to cook fairly early on in life specifically so I would be able to make a good Sunday roast for my future family - because I was raised on the assumption that I would have one or marry into one. Yay, Yorkshire!

It seems to be a thing in some parts of England where, if you have Yorkshire puddings left over, you eat them later with butter and sugar - literally put butter on them and then sprinkle sugar in too. I first learned this when I moved to Nottinghamshire, but I don't know how common it is - it might be an age thing instead. Yorkshire puddings are made with pancake batter anyway, so it's not as weird as it might sound.
Do you have traditional meals on Sundays too?

Benevolent Reveler

Pugnacious Banana
moon light dreamer11

go try more food~
haggis is good. i think i ate haggis when i was little before i knew what it was made of so it never bothered me because i always liked it anyway.
you have to cook blood pudding. it'd be pretty gross if you didn't. it's kind of a dark red colour when you cut into it but it's not like blood drips from it or anything.

I will one day when I'm less poor. Foods done cheap and fast are my style but then I imagine that's what they're suppose to taste like.
I have never heard of it =O why what is Christmas pudding like??
See with a name like blood pudding my mind goes to a rather gory image.

Obsessive Man-Lover

27,675 Points
  • Way Too Many Pies 300
  • Abomination 100
  • 50 Wins 150
moon light dreamer11
Pugnacious Banana
moon light dreamer11

go try more food~

I will one day when I'm less poor. Foods done cheap and fast are my style but then I imagine that's what they're suppose to taste like.
i don't even know what's in christmas pudding. xD fruit and sometimes alcohol and a lot of other stuff. google it ?
blood pudding isn't gory. sad but then i never call it that.

Benevolent Reveler

Akiryn
Haggis is yummy, and I don't think a cooked breakfast is complete without black pudding!
You can buy both at supermarkets, though I haven't had a decent haggis since I moved south.

Black pudding is a common food to have with cooked breakfasts - a cooked breakfast in my family means eggs, bacon, sausage, hash browns (and/or fried bread), mushrooms, tomatoes and black pudding. I don't make the full breakfast every day, as I do like other types of breakfast too. It seems common amongst the people at my university to make a full breakfast for housemates suffering with hangovers. Whenever foreign friends visit, they think black pudding sounds disgusting... But I've persuaded a few to try it and they've all enjoyed it.

I live in Oxford. I spent most of my childhood being raised in the North East of England (Teesside and Whitby) and in the East Midlands (Nottinghamshire - I lived in a town not far from Nottingham).

One thing I really miss about living near the coast (specifically Whitby) is eating winkles - google them if you don't know what they are, I don't think I could explain properly without drooling over them. They're really yummy to eat and you typically use a pin to get them out of the shell - we used to find little hermit crabs inside the shells sometimes, which always made me sad as a child.

Living in Nottinghamshire, my family started having venison for our Sunday roasts on occasion - before that we only had the usual four - beef, lamb, chicken or pork. The meal, in my family, consisted of the roast, potatoes cooked in two different ways (e.g. roasted and mashed) or boiled new potatoes and three or four different kinds of other vegetables (carrots, peas, parsnip, turnip, cabbage, sprouts, etc.) oh, and Yorkshire puddings.

Whilst most of my family, and many friends, seem to drown the food in gravy, my mother and I preferred to drown things in mint sauce, although sometimes apple or cranberry sauce. Sunday roasts are considered a family meal, even if people are busy during the week they will usually sit down to eat it together. I was taught how to cook fairly early on in life specifically so I would be able to make a good Sunday roast for my future family - because I was raised on the assumption that I would have one or marry into one. Yay, Yorkshire!

It seems to be a thing in some parts of England where, if you have Yorkshire puddings left over, you eat them later with butter and sugar - literally put butter on them and then sprinkle sugar in too. I first learned this when I moved to Nottinghamshire, but I don't know how common it is - it might be an age thing instead. Yorkshire puddings are made with pancake batter anyway, so it's not as weird as it might sound.
Do you have traditional meals on Sundays too?

I have never found a place in that sells haggis before but I might actually look around. All this talk of haggis and blood pudding makes me want to try them.
Though I doubt the thought of baked haggis will ever be appealing.

I live with my grandparents so we don't do as much traditionally as we used to because they don't have the energy for celebration or the stomach to eat much but when I was little we had a big Sunday meal (sometimes breakfast other Sundays it would be lunch or dinner, it depended on everyone's mood)

I never ended up learning to cook because when I was little I almost accidentally set the house on fire... it was an accident and it got put out before it got out of the pan! but it scared my grandma and she wasn't a fan of me in the kitchen.
It's cool they taught you how, even if it was because of gender roles! Do you like to cook?

I googled winkles. Is that just another name for escargot?

Did the Sunday meal tradition stay even with all the different places you went through the country?

Benevolent Reveler

Pugnacious Banana
moon light dreamer11
Pugnacious Banana
moon light dreamer11

go try more food~

i don't even know what's in christmas pudding. xD fruit and sometimes alcohol and a lot of other stuff. google it ?
blood pudding isn't gory. sad but then i never call it that.

I did and it looks like a decoration!
No but I had never seen blood pudding until I googled it and saw it was sausage.
So it more referred to as black pudding?

Tipsy Fairy

Hi there~ I am from South Wales if you want to talk to me?

Peculiar Doll

moon light
I have never found a place in that sells haggis before but I might actually look around. All this talk of haggis and blood pudding makes me want to try them.

I live with my grandparents so we don't do as much traditionally as we used to because they don't have the energy for celebration or the stomach to eat much but when I was little we had a big Sunday meal (sometimes breakfast other Sundays it would be lunch or dinner, it depended on everyone's mood)

I never ended up learning to cook because when I was little I almost accidentally set the house on fire... it was an accident and it got put out before it got out of the pan! but it scared my grandma and she wasn't a fan of me in the kitchen.
It's cool they taught you how, even if it was because of gender roles! Do you like to cook?

Did the Sunday meal tradition stay even with all the different places you went through the country?
It didn't appeal to me at first when I was little, but it tastes good so I came to enjoy it rather quickly.

I love to cook when I have the energy to do so! I started learning when I was 6 or so ^^. Hehe, nearly setting the house on fire.... I've never done that, I'm less likely to accidentally burn things/cause fires than I am to accidentally slice/grate myself - my partner now does most of the cutting up in food preparation because my hands are so shaky that I get hurt often!

Escargot is snails, winkles are similar but not the same thing, they live in water. They also tend to be cooked differently ^^. We used to boil them up in salt water and serve them in salt, with optional vinegar, some people dip them in melted butter after they've been hooked out of the shell.

What were the Sunday meals that you used to have? What kind of meals are typical in your household?

It seems like wherever I've lived, people have had the tradition of Sunday meals. Even in my university accommodation people would often get together and cook for everyone in their flat - ours used to team up with the one downstairs and we'd end up with 12 of us eating together every week ^^. When I liked in Teesside, not turning up to a Sunday family meal would result in upset because of how important it was to families.

Benevolent Reveler

Akiryn
moon light

It didn't appeal to me at first when I was little, but it tastes good so I came to enjoy it rather quickly.

I love to cook when I have the energy to do so! I started learning when I was 6 or so ^^. Hehe, nearly setting the house on fire.... I've never done that, I'm less likely to accidentally burn things/cause fires than I am to accidentally slice/grate myself - my partner now does most of the cutting up in food preparation because my hands are so shaky that I get hurt often!

Escargot is snails, winkles are similar but not the same thing, they live in water. They also tend to be cooked differently ^^. We used to boil them up in salt water and serve them in salt, with optional vinegar, some people dip them in melted butter after they've been hooked out of the shell.

What were the Sunday meals that you used to have? What kind of meals are typical in your household?

It seems like wherever I've lived, people have had the tradition of Sunday meals. Even in my university accommodation people would often get together and cook for everyone in their flat - ours used to team up with the one downstairs and we'd end up with 12 of us eating together every week ^^. When I liked in Teesside, not turning up to a Sunday family meal would result in upset because of how important it was to families.

Oh no. Do you have something that causes your hands to shake?
I don't remember how it happened but odds are I still don't know what to do in a kitchen it could happen again but oh well XD
What kind of food does snails qualify as? Sea food?

For breakfast when we would go big there were pancakes, waffles, sausage, bacon, eggs toast etc. when small but still 'formal' eggs, toast/biscuts, and sausage/bacon.
Typical food is honest microwave meals or salads. We really don't cook in my family anymore. sweatdrop
What is typical food for you?

I don't really have traditional meals anymore except on thanksgiving and Christmas and even those are probably about done.

Lonely Hunter

7,150 Points
  • Wall Street 200
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Profitable 100
lol what in partular do you want to know.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff