Welcome to Gaia! ::

Vote and get free Gaia Gold!

VOTE! 1 100.0% [ 15 ]
Total Votes:[ 15 ]
< 1 2

D1g1t4l_Ash
Hey, look at this. That's pretty cool. "Das ist doch ein Bild für die Götter!" = "What a sight!" I think a literal translation is something like "That is a picture for the gods!" Pretty cool way to say that.

Wow! It is a very cool way to say that, indeed‼ I must use it someday.

Waldbraut
lol I'm actually having a seminar on phraseology in my linguistics studies this semester, so I could give you a ton of idioms...

Here are some from my material (idiom - rough literal(!) translation - meaning - example for a sentence)

jemanden eines Besseren belehren - teach someone of something better - disabuse, correct someone's mistake/wrong notion - Ich dachte, die Sonne geht im Westen auf, doch Ich wurde eines Besseren belehrt (i thought the sun rises in the west, but I was disabused of that notion)

in ein Fettnäpfchen treten - to step into a small pot of grease - to put one's foot in it, to put one's foot in one's mouth, drop a brick/clanger, do something embarrassing - Mit ihrer schlechten Handschrift ist sie direkt in ein Fettnäpfchen getreten. (With her bad handwriting, she directly put her foot in it.)

einen sitzen haben - have one sitting - be drunk - Nach einem Bier hatte er schon einen sitzen (After one beer he was already drunk)

einen Streit vom Zaun brechen - break a fight from the fence - pick a quarrel - Statt sich wie Erwachsene auf eine gemeinsame Sache zu einigen, mussten sie wieder einen Streit vom Zaun brechen (instead of finding an agreement like adults, they had to pick a quarrel again)

fix und fertig sein - be fix and done (fix doesn't really have a meaning in itself in this idiom) - be tired/exhausted - Nach dem Sportunterricht war Ich fix und fertig (after p.e. I was exhausted)

The example sentences aren't the best I could come up with right away... so, sorry about that sweatdrop

As I said, I have tons of those. If you're ever looking for some specific phrase or idiom, feel free to PM me your questions wink

A seminar on phraseology!? How lucky! I wish I could have something like that, but the program of my career is just too weird. sweatdrop

Anyways~ Thank you very much for sharing these awesome idioms. The examples were very good and they actually helped me to understand the idiom better, so don't worry.

Utopia
Actually, it's "Morgenstund hat Gold im Mund", not "Geld". "Geld means money, and "Gold" is - well, "gold" ^^.

Okay, here's another one: "nicht alle Tassen im Schrank haben", like in "Du hast doch nicht alle Tassen im Schrank!". The literal translation would be "to not have all cups in the cupboard", and it means "to be not quite right in the head".

I knew "Geld" means "money" and "Gold" means... "Gold", but I didn't know the idiom was wrong. Thanks for making that correction!

And thank you for sharing that other idiom. It can be very useful sometimes, haha.

Lady Kariel
Wer A sagt, muss auch B sagen

In for a penny, in for a pound. If you start something, you have to finish it.

Cool! I didn't know about this idiom, hehe. Thank you very much for sharing it~‼
i wish german was taught @ my university

Wheezing Phantom

15,125 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
Die Katze aus dem Sack lassen.
Let the cat out of the bag.

means: to reveal something

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff