Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hi Everyone!
My name is Trixie, and I have been wanting to go to Japan since I was 16 (I'm 22 now.) I'm slowing saving up my money to go over there. I've finally got my passport and now I'm doing some research about the cities and places I can visit when I am over there. But I would love to get some people's opinions on the best places to go besides the obvious (Tokyo, Kyoto.)
And it doesn't just have to be just cities. It could be the countryside, resorts, beaches, zoos, anything! Any help you give me is much appreciated! Thanks for your time! biggrin
Stick to western Japan if you wanna experience Japan in it's entirety. Tokyo mostly has the flashy stuff... Everywhere out west has the culture.

Just my two cents c:
Thanks! Your two cents is worth a lot for me. biggrin
What about Hokkaido, Kyushu, and Shikoku? Are they a good place to get the real feel of Japan?
That depends on what you mean by "real" Japan. Kyoto and Nara are the historical capitals of Japan and is home to much of the high art that the rest of the world sees of Japan. Tokyo has a unique history and has much to offer in history, although it's a very different kind from what you get in the other cities I mentioned already. Hokkaido is relatively new in actually being a part of Japan, but you'll still experience an environment and culture there. Kyushu and Shikoku are as old as historic Japan, but they have their regional flavors.

If you're from the US, the best example I can give is that these different places are like unique places in the country. It's all part of the country, and it's all partly the same, partly different, like going from Boston to NYC to Chicago to Texas. You'll see different things both in people and in culture, but it's all under the umbrella of what constitutes "Japan."
Okay. I never thought of it that way.
But, it makes sense. Thank you!

Lucky Duelist

9,240 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Grunny Grabber 50
Stay out of Yokosuka, aint nothing there... if you come to japan try the Green tea ice cream and sweet potato, sounds weird but they are actually amazing. Yokohama has a cool Buddhist temple and ice cream. Also, Try CoCo's curry...
Try to come over when your allowed to climb Mt. Fuji, while physically demanding, its one of the coolest/best things you can do IMHO.

If your Looking for a place to party I recommend ageHa, Shibuya, or Roppongi.

What all are you trying to do/see in japan.

Romantic Cat

13,450 Points
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Megathread 100
  • Invisibility 100
I had tons of fun when I visited Kyoto, Nara and Osaka!
Favorite things : Kiyomizudera temple (super pretty)
Fushimi Inari Shrine ( steep climb though!)
Osaka Castle (also cool)
Feeding the deer/ checking out Todaji
Osaka Aquarium (expensive but very cool!)
Tempozan Ferris Wheel (Osaka)
In Tokyo I enjoy Harajuku, Ikebukuro and Minato (which has the pokemon center! and Tokyo Tower)

Akihabara is fun if you like anime
If you want traditional stuff come to Kyoto... I loves it here ^^ But I also love Osaka. Pretend to shoot people. I wanna do that one day ;~;
You want to pretend to shoot people in Osaka? eek

Interesting.... sweatdrop
Thanks everyone! All this information is very helpful! I'm learning a lot!

And keep going if you want to keep recommending stuff. I'm always interested.
Well, I'd say, since it'll be your first trip to Japan, stick with Tokyo, Kyoto, and their surrounding areas. Hokkaido, Kyushu, Shikoku, Okinawa etc. are obviously worth going to, but are quite out of the way--so basically, you'd have to plan a much longer trip or just pick one area to go to exclusively. (I assume you don't want to do the whole stop-photo-leave-say I've been there sort of thing. I also assume you're not rich.)

Tokyo and Kyoto are no less "authentically Japanese" than any other areas, and in fact there are plenty very nice things to see there. It really all depends on what kind of things you like. Museums, nature, landmarks, architecture, history, pop/fashion culture, food, clubs/bars...? I mean, why Japan? What specifically about it interests you?

In any case, I would also like to throw Hiroshima out there as a suggestion. I feel everyone should take a look at its Peace park and museum. It's a bit south, but easily reachable by Shinkansen (definitely DEFINITELY look into the JR pass if you haven't already, by the way). I took a night bus from Tokyo and it wasn't so bad, either. There is also a island nearby called Miyajima that I really liked.
Nettaiya
Well, Id say, since itll be your first trip to Japan, stick with Tokyo, Kyoto, and their surrounding areas. Hokkaido, Kyushu, Shikoku, Okinawa etc. are obviously worth going to, but are quite out of the way--so basically, youd have to plan a much longer trip or just pick one area to go to exclusively. I assume you dont want to do the whole stop-photo-leave-say Ive been there sort of thing. I also assume youre not rich.)

Tokyo and Kyoto are no less authentically Japanese than any other areas, and in fact there are plenty very nice things to see there. It really all depends on what kind of things you like. Museums, nature, landmarks, architecture, history, pop/fashion culture, food, clubs/bars...? I mean, why Japan? What specifically about it interests you?

In any case, I would also like to throw Hiroshima out there as a suggestion. I feel everyone should take a look at its Peace park and museum. Its a bit south, but easily reachable by Shinkansen definitely DEFINITELY look into the JR pass if you havent already, by the way). I took a night bus from Tokyo and it wasnt so bad, either. There is also a island nearby called Miyajima that I really liked.

Hahaha! You assume right. Im hoping to spend at least two weeks over there. I guess the biggest part of my interests in Japan is their culture. Everything is so different over there and I love it. Plus, it would be awesome to converse with people in Japanese. I probably will hit Tokyo and Kyoto. I was just wondering if there were any other amazing places that I didnt know of.

Heart Noob

I lives in Osaka for a year and I have to say its one of the more beautiful cities.
Its very clsoe to nara, Kyouto and other very heavy tourist regions of Japan.
And the shopping is still nice too, they have their own small Akihabara called Nipponbashi.
And Okonomikyaki is AMAZING

Heart Noob

Adventurer17
Nettaiya
Well, Id say, since itll be your first trip to Japan, stick with Tokyo, Kyoto, and their surrounding areas. Hokkaido, Kyushu, Shikoku, Okinawa etc. are obviously worth going to, but are quite out of the way--so basically, youd have to plan a much longer trip or just pick one area to go to exclusively. I assume you dont want to do the whole stop-photo-leave-say Ive been there sort of thing. I also assume youre not rich.)

Tokyo and Kyoto are no less authentically Japanese than any other areas, and in fact there are plenty very nice things to see there. It really all depends on what kind of things you like. Museums, nature, landmarks, architecture, history, pop/fashion culture, food, clubs/bars...? I mean, why Japan? What specifically about it interests you?

In any case, I would also like to throw Hiroshima out there as a suggestion. I feel everyone should take a look at its Peace park and museum. Its a bit south, but easily reachable by Shinkansen definitely DEFINITELY look into the JR pass if you havent already, by the way). I took a night bus from Tokyo and it wasnt so bad, either. There is also a island nearby called Miyajima that I really liked.

Hahaha! You assume right. Im hoping to spend at least two weeks over there. I guess the biggest part of my interests in Japan is their culture. Everything is so different over there and I love it. Plus, it would be awesome to converse with people in Japanese. I probably will hit Tokyo and Kyoto. I was just wondering if there were any other amazing places that I didnt know of.

Like I said, Nara and Osaka are very good too.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff