Welcome to Gaia! ::

5,650 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Anyone else living away from their native country?

It seems like people might have some interesting stories, so why don't you tell us your nationality and where you're currently living? heart

Why are you living there? How long do you think you'll stay, and do you intend to become a citizen? What's your visa situation like, and if the language is different, how well do you speak it?

I'll start. I'm an American in Japan for work reasons (I'm teaching preschool). I think I'll stay at least three or four years, and I'm not sure if I want to try and become a citizen... I'd be much more open to it if Japan passes better dual citizenship legislation. I'm a long-term resident with work rights, and I speak Japanese at an intermediate level. Thankfully, you don't need much Japanese to teach little kids!

Oh, and do you have any interesting stories to tell about customs or language difficulties?
I live in Japan, too!! I'm also from the U.S. and will be here for at least 4 years. I live in the north in Aomori prefecture and can speak enough to get by but not as much as I'd like to. (I'm working hard at it though!!) I haven't had any culture shock or anything. I really love it up here, it's not as fast paced like Tokyo and there is a lot of wonderful scenery. Also the locals are very friendly and love to include you in any festivals or celebrations that might be going on.

5,650 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
I've found local people to be very friendly down here, too! What are you doing up in Aomori? Teaching, consulting, going to school?

11,500 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Hive Mind 200
I'm an American and I live in Japan for school purposes. I'm here on a student visa and I am attending a Japanese university to study Education. I will be taking the teachers certificate test here after I graduate. And I have about 2-3 years left of school left before I graduate...

I guess I plan to stay here long term, but my boyfriend (Japanese) and I plan to get married after I graduate and the American company he works at in Japan, he might want to work in the American one later so we might go back to the US.

His citizenship is Japanese and mine is American. I don't plan to change it, because if we plan to move back to the US he can get there with my citizenship and same with him and Japan.

And I guess language level would be somewhat advance? I've finished all the Japanese levels they have to offer at my school, and can sit in a class that lectures in Japanese, but I'm afraid my speaking skills (grammar wise) is still not all that great.
AzrealRyryko
I've found local people to be very friendly down here, too! What are you doing up in Aomori? Teaching, consulting, going to school?
I'm a soldier. Where in Japan are you at? Are you getting any snow? We get lots and I love it!! The roads are terribly icy though.

5,650 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Dressed Up 200
Kugutsu-Shi
AzrealRyryko
I'm a soldier. Where in Japan are you at? Are you getting any snow? We get lots and I love it!! The roads are terribly icy though.

Oh, none at all, at least none that sticks. (I live in Kobe.) We get little flurries every other week or so-- I'm from Southern California, though, and I'm glad to see it not get any colder. What branch of the military are you in, if I may ask? Isn't there an Air Force base around Misawa?

And you, Roseflare! heart I'm sure your Japanese is great! ;;; I'm lucky if I can piece together a few articles from the paper in the morning or the subtitles on the evening news, much less listen to a university lecture. I can read a little bit if I'm allowed a dictionary, but everything just goes to pieces when people start talking at a normal speed.

Anyways, you have a Japanese boyfriend. biggrin You can only improve.

And what is this "naninani saa" stuff that I hear down here, I wonder? I've decided that it must just be filler like, xD, "like," but... The slang here still throws me sometimes, even now.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff