Welcome to Gaia! ::

"They are yet to commit the sin of making a bad movie."

I'm wondering how the "to be","yet" plus "to" work together in the phrase above. I came up with those 3 phrases below myself. Please tell me if they are correct

1."He is yet to do his homework"
2."We are yet to see the latest Indiana Jones movie"
3."She is yet to arrive home"

Thank you
        My first language is English and, I have to say, "to be" with "yet" sounds rather awkward to me. I would usually use "to have".

1. They have yet to commit the sin of making a bad movie.
        2. He has yet to do his homework.
        3. We have yet to see the latest Indiana Jones movie.
        4. She has yet to arrive home.
Does it mean the, "They are yet to commit the sin of making a bad movie." is more of a british thing? Because I heard that from an english
Guyper
Does it mean the, "They are yet to commit the sin of making a bad movie." is more of a british thing? Because I heard that from an english

Oh? That might be the case, since I'm from the United States, so hopefully someone else will give their two cents here.
Hmm, this actually confuses me. Alot. Because I haven't really thought of using sentences like that.

Firstly, I think it's incorrect grammar usage. Instead of:
"They are yet to commit the sin of making a bad movie."

I would say

"They have yet to commit the sin of making a bad movie."

However, I think it's complicated saying it with day to day things, so usually I would replace the 'has yet' to the negative 'hasn't', and putting the 'yet' to the end of the sentence. I think it changes the tense of the verb that follows the subject though to a past one? I'm not sure xD

So instead of
"He is yet to do his homework" or "He has yet to do his homework"

I would change it to "He hasn't done his homework yet."

Hope that helps! n_n

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items