Welcome to Gaia! ::

Zeren the Morph's Comrade

Salty Phantom

MissEtude
Well this might be quite embarassing but why do Americans small talk so much? I don’t think it’s a bad thing but it puts me on the spot sometimes lol
For example, if I were to enter a shop in America, they would be like “Hey! How’s it going?” and “So, what’s new?” and since I’m considered quite a private person I don’t know how to respond and I feel bad just saying “I’m good.”
Also, there was one time my friend told a salesgirl that she was from Singapore and the salesgirl simply responded saying “oh, I don’t know where that is...” haha

its part of customer service

some people like to be talked to, it makes them feel welcomed when they enter a store
it gives the illusion that the salesperson cares about them
(sometimes they do, sometimes they only do it because they have to)

being someone who has had 8 years of customer service... it actually does work
people are happier when you acknowledge them

its easier when im the salesperson, but when im the customer its awkward, and im always caught off guard and seem really weird of standoffish on accident redface

im one of those people who like to browse on my own
but some people like to have others talk to them

Benevolent Reveler

Empress Enelda
moon light dreamer11
Empress Enelda
Well, we do still use the Fahrenheit unit for measuring tempurature, but we also use Celcius and Kelvin.

I don't understand why we haven't gone metric yet.
From what I have read in an article, thepossible reasons why include the cost of converting, conservatism (not wanting to convert for that reason), and congress just not making it mandatory. I don't mind if we don't convert though.

Cost, conservatism, and congress... That may sound catchy.

I just think it is easier is all. learning it wouldn't take anyone too long.

Peculiar Poster

34,250 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Alchemy Level 6 100
The Dragon Maiden
This is truly fascinating.
Isn't it though? >.> lol

Unbeatable Friend

17,040 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Ultimate Player 200
madelynheston
The Dragon Maiden
This is truly fascinating.
Isn't it though? >.> lol

Yes, I believe so. smile

Dapper Genius

Lukewarm City
Canadian here.
Do Americans actually like, not take off their shoes when they enter a house?

It really depends on the household honestly. In my house I always tell visitors they can take off their shoes once they are in the house, mainly because I'm used to being barefooted inside. However, it's not something you automatically do. Sometimes I find myself asking my friends if I can take my shoes off, but I guess you could say it's half and half? Some take their shoes off some don't?Hope that helped.

Bashful Phantom

5,850 Points
  • Tipsy 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
I am American, and I'd have to say that the one word that I feel describes this nation is

Arrogance.

Bashful Explorer

Emily Indigo
I am American, and I'd have to say that the one word that I feel describes this nation is

Arrogance.

That's actually the first thing an exchange graduate student said in my class when we asked her what she thought of Americans in general so far. xD

Peculiar Poster

34,250 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Crack Shot 50
  • Alchemy Level 6 100
Gilraen Meneldur
Emily Indigo

Arrogance.

That's actually the first thing an exchange graduate student said in my class when we asked her what she thought of Americans in general so far. xD
LOL nice. We do seem to be one of the less humble places in the world sweatdrop
Everytime someone throws out the word America, inevitably it turns into LOLMURICASUCKSOMG

It's... probably one of the most stable and unchanging things in my life.

But if it matters, having lived in two other countries and not being born American...

Murica's pretty darn awesome.

Benevolent Reveler

TanninAwake
Everytime someone throws out the word America, inevitably it turns into LOLMURICASUCKSOMG

It's... probably one of the most stable and unchanging things in my life.

But if it matters, having lived in two other countries and not being born American...

Murica's pretty darn awesome.

This was actually a nice change to hear for once! 3nodding

Partying Genius

I'm a American ask away!

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items