Welcome to Gaia! ::

is the Chinese language difficult to learn? i was going to take some classes in my spare time.
I've heard that it's one of the hardest.
download_error
I've heard that it's one of the hardest.
Writing yeah.
Speaking, No.
Understanding someone speak without knowing context (ex: in a bus) Yes.
I wouldn't know because I grew up with it razz
- so i skipped the learning curve

lol, but it's pretty easy

You have to be careful with sound variations
because if you say something slightly off, it
could mean something completely different -
offensive even xD

I think chinese seems daunting because the
characters used are completely different to
the alphabet system
- It's not really though, one of the simpler
languages infact =]

Just like learning any other language, stick
to it and practice everyday, even just for a
tiny bit - it helps
& once you've got the basics, everything will
become much simpler ;]

Once you've mastered basics, try to interact
with some chinese people or those who speak
chinese - or if you don't have this opportunity,
watch some chinese dramas, shows or movies
with subs and you'll be surprised at how much
you pick up - it helped with my japanese
knowing chinese also helped me with jap
- useful indeed biggrin
It's not too difficult if you are really interested in Mandarin.
Learning language can be fun. You can try make some native speaker friends. I know a site called hellochina.
Its hard to read and write, but easy to speak. :]
Japanese is actually suppose to be one of the hardest cuz it has 3 different forms of writing O.O
not that hard to say it but to write it then it is kinda hard. smile

9,600 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Brandisher 100
It takes a lot of work but if you do the work, it can be learned. I am taking it in school (although not this semester) and I prefer the discipline of class learning, assignments and tests, etc... This semester, though, I'll be working with a native tutor and doing lots of cultural assignments.

And I gotta get back to practicing the characters. I forgot how to write my Chinese name. crying
Super Hakka
Japanese is actually suppose to be one of the hardest cuz it has 3 different forms of writing O.O

No, two 'forms' of Japanese writing is just like the alphabet, and they learn it in their kindergarten years. The third is only a part of the Chinese language. Japanese is also easier to learn than Chinese for English-background speakers because they use romaji and letters of the alphabet.

Chinese, however, uses pinyin, but there are many accents to a vowel. Also, for chinese, you need to learn a lot of characters singularly, while in Japanese, a lot of beginners just use Hiragana, one of the easier 'alphabet' forms.
An Unknown Kunoichi
Super Hakka

No, two 'forms' of Japanese writing is just like the alphabet, and they learn it in their kindergarten years. The third is only a part of the Chinese language. Japanese is also easier to learn than Chinese for English-background speakers because they use romaji and letters of the alphabet.

Chinese, however, uses pinyin, but there are many accents to a vowel. Also, for chinese, you need to learn a lot of characters singularly, while in Japanese, a lot of beginners just use Hiragana, one of the easier 'alphabet' forms.

Actually. if you learn Simplified Chinese, they use the English Alphabet as their 拼音.
I guess it has to do with what your first language is, cuz for me its pretty easy to learn Japanese. I'm still working on Traditional chinese though.
agreed.... writing a bit hard~~ blaugh
Super Hakka
Yep. Chinese is a lot simpler than japanese. Even so, 2 of the japanese writing forms are actual alphabets, where as all of chinese is writen in a massive amount of diffrent charecters. You don't have to know too many of them to read and write japanese.

Dapper Warlord

9,450 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Full closet 200
  • Tycoon 200
ENvivi
You have to be careful with sound variations
because if you say something slightly off, it
could mean something completely different -
offensive even xD
I've wondered about how many people who grow up speaking Chinese are musically tone deaf; I'd imagine that the number of tone deaf Chinese speakers is very low, since it would make the language very difficult to understand.

EDIT TO REMAIN ON TOPIC: Japanese writing is very easy to learn if you're a visual learner, and even if you're not, once you learn the elements and the basic system that goes into the kanji, then they're very easy to pick apart. (And since even after all these years, Japanese Kanji are very similar to Chinese Kanji, I'm gonna go out on a limb and assume that the principles carry over to Chinese...XDD)
u know im chinese..but i only know the basics..so that means its hard..lol rofl

Magical Fairy

20,300 Points
  • Caroling Champ 100
  • Snowball Hero 200
  • Frozen Solid 200
The writing is hard, but the grammar and vocabulary is fairly easy if you study hard enough.

Quick Reply

Submit
Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff